English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 28 December 2023, 00:34   #1
mikeboss

ABC (AmigAtari Bitmap Converter) v2.00

so... I stumbled across this software by Leonard of Oxygene. it creates absolutely spectacular results (converting PNG to HAM). but it seems I'm too stupid to create IFFs with it. I did search the internet for like two hours without any meaningful results. the utility creates two files: a bitmap and a palette binary. unfortunately I just don't know how I can get an IFF in the end. maybe somebody can enlighten me..?

demo with a bootable ADF (click left or right mouse button to see the different versions of the picture shown): download

GitHub

blog post from the author

EDIT (29.12.2023)
the author's announcement from today: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116573

Last edited by mikeboss; 29 December 2023 at 11:41.
Old 28 December 2023, 08:25   #2
Jope
-

It doesn't have IFF output.

As far as I know, there are no ready made RAW -> IFF converters around, only the other way.

If you don't want to code one yourself, you could try the tool's PNG output mode and convert that to IFF, but it might degrade the HAM converter output somewhat.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:29   #3
mikeboss

thnx! converting the PNG preview output is not going to help, I'm afraid... there's no way that this never before seen quality's going to survive a conversion with some other program.
Old 29 December 2023, 16:12   #4
leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
so... I stumbled across this software by Leonard of Oxygene. it creates absolutely spectacular results (converting PNG to HAM).
thanks

Quote:
but it seems I'm too stupid to create IFFs with it.
no you're not there is no IFF export option. The tool is made to export binary data ready to use when programming a demo.

I didn't even thought people want to look at images with amiga iff image readers. But maybe it could be a nice option. I can add IFF export in the next version.
Old 29 December 2023, 16:47   #5
mikeboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
thanks

no you're not there is no IFF export option. The tool is made to export binary data ready to use when programming a demo.

I didn't even thought people want to look at images with amiga iff image readers. But maybe it could be a nice option. I can add IFF export in the next version.
au contraire! as it appears, I'm not the only one who likes to watch nice looking HAM images on an AMIGA: https://bytecellar.com/2018/03/14/a-...he-amiga-1000/

I was hoping to find a utility to join the binaries, but it looks like no such thing exists. I compared the results to images created with ham_convert and I just didn't get results looking as good as the ones created with abc2.exe. plus, as a bonus, yours is working way faster.

the possibility of exporting IFFs would be a very, very welcome addition...

cheers,
m.
Old 29 December 2023, 20:17   #6
leonard

I fastly added a -iff export option that handle standard images and HAM. However I can't find any file format documentation for SlicedHAM (one HAM palette per line). Is that supported by IFF? ( I can find some SHAM riff description in some wiki page, but no details).
If anyone have a sliced ham IFF file (if it exists), I'm interested to look at the file for reverse engineering

Last edited by leonard; 29 December 2023 at 20:28.
Old 29 December 2023, 22:36   #7
mikeboss

I did create an IFF using ham_convert. as soon as the feature "sliced" is activated (it's marked as experimental) the output becomes garbled with a ton of artefacts...
Attached Files
File Type: zip HAMPIX.zip (109.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 29 December 2023, 22:40   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I fastly added a -iff export option that handle standard images and HAM. However I can't find any file format documentation for SlicedHAM (one HAM palette per line). Is that supported by IFF? ( I can find some SHAM riff description in some wiki page, but no details).
If anyone have a sliced ham IFF file (if it exists), I'm interested to look at the file for reverse engineering
I am wondering if " ross " that is like a living Amiga encyclopedia could help you on this field. Try to PM him if he doesn't see this thread
Old 29 December 2023, 23:41   #9
ross
Defendit numerus

Hi

GIFMachine in Aminet contains source code for writing IFF SHAM files.
Old 30 December 2023, 00:15   #10
leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Hi

GIFMachine in Aminet contains source code for writing IFF SHAM files.
oh nice! seems there is just a SHAM additional chunk with one pal per line. I don't know if xnview knows how to display that kind of sliced-ham. Let's see...
Old 30 December 2023, 00:31   #11
leonard

so I just did a try, generated a SHAM file but xnview doesn't display it properly ( looks like xnview doesn't support SHAM chunk ).

I just tried with "irFanView" and it works properly! So it seems not so many viewers are supporting this format.

Anyway I can do an update to AmigAtari bitmapConverter tomorrow with the new "-iff <filename>" export option
Attached Files
File Type: zip cycleop_sham.zip (58.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by leonard; 30 December 2023 at 00:43.
Old 30 December 2023, 00:57   #12
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
I just tried with "irFanView" and it works properly!
Yep, I was about to report for success on IrfanView but you have already found it.
I assume that on PC there aren't many programs that support the format..

On Amiga I tried "shamview" and the DOpus integrated "Show" and it worked well.
There are probably others who support it too.
Old 30 December 2023, 01:08   #13
leonard

Quote:
the possibility of exporting IFFs would be a very, very welcome addition...
I just updated the github project with a new v2.01 and "-iff <filename>" export option, enjoy!

Quote:
plus, as a bonus, yours is working way faster.
That's because it uses your GPU to speed up the brute force loops. Even an old integrated laptop GPU is pretty fast to do such data transform.
Old 30 December 2023, 13:54   #14
mikeboss

thnks a lot, leonard! this additional option to export IFFs is very much appreciated, great stuff. one thing though: Microsoft Defender killed "abc2.exe" immediately when downloaded... this was not the case with version 2.00. might be a false positive of course.

EDIT: v2.00 also gives a red flag.

VirusTotal abc2.exe v2.01

VirusTotal abc2.exe v2.0

Last edited by mikeboss; 30 December 2023 at 14:00.
Old 30 December 2023, 15:57   #15
leonard

Quote:
thnks a lot, leonard! this additional option to export IFFs is very much appreciated, great stuff. one thing though: Microsoft Defender killed "abc2.exe" immediately when downloaded... this was not the case with version 2.00. might be a false positive of course.

EDIT: v2.00 also gives a red flag.

VirusTotal abc2.exe v2.01

VirusTotal abc2.exe v2.0
yeah pretty sure false positive. It's very annoying having exe on github, windows defender is always freaking out. When I run windows defender on my abc2.exe it says everything is fine.

The other alternative is to put the exe in a zip and make a "release" in github, maybe it avoids that kind of thing
Old 30 December 2023, 22:06   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] one thing though: Microsoft Defender killed "abc2.exe" immediately when downloaded... [...]
A good Windows Defender is a turned off one
Sad it can't be turned off definitively easily so you should train it.