English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 22 July 2023, 14:34   #1
Fabled

My Nostalgia project needs some help

I am working on a pretty time consuming project that will take me months if not years to finalize. In short, i started gaming on Nintendo Game&Watch in 1982, and from there my life in computers and gaming began.

From there i used Philips G7000/Magnavox Odyssey 2, Dragon 32, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, PC, Playstation, Dreamcast, XBOX.

I am setting up a complete hub of memories with shortcuts. Games, demos, music, pictures and so on, everything i was spending time on through my life basically. A memory trip on steroids.

Right now I'm working on gathering amiga modules, it would be very appreciative if others have gathered lots of modules and could share those with me in a zip file or something. I want to go through thousands and pick those that i remember.

For playing modules i use the Protracker Clone, it works very well, except for a minor problem with modules that are made in later trackers that support higher octaves. But i can play those modules in OpenMPT for example.

Speaking of OpenMPT, it has some issues with some OctaMED modules, but i solved that with BZR player for now (which also have a pattern view) But it's a bit off on the pattern sync on MED modules.

When I'm done there will be close to a thousand game and demos in this little project of mine. I have downloaded the latest TOSEC collection, so i have emulators and games for most of the stuff I'm doing. But need modules, great old classics!

Last edited by Fabled; 22 July 2023 at 14:37. Reason: didn't support windows emoji's
Old 22 July 2023, 15:53   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not exactly the same request, but have a look at this thread: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114997
Old 22 July 2023, 16:34   #3
Fabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Not exactly the same request, but have a look at this thread: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114997

Hi, thanks

yes I'm using these sites at the moment, but there is just so many modules on them, tens of thousands. And 95% of those is probably not that good. But people which have gathered modules have probably filtered out what they themselves think is "poop", so it saves me a lot of time.

Modules that are really important are modules used in demos and cracktro's in the period 1988-1991/1992. Those are so difficult to remember the name of, and i have been on some websites who can actually sort modules by year, but it's not really fast. And i have also used webpages that randomly play a module, and just gone through hundreds of them that way, also kind of hit and miss.
Old 22 July 2023, 16:37   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There are also modules on the file server that you could download via FTP: http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/Collection/Music/Mod/

'Basty's Modules' has probably every module from that era known to mankind, but it might take years to listen to them all
Old 22 July 2023, 17:51   #5
Fabled

Quote:
There are also modules on the file server that you could download via FTP: http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/Collection/Music/Mod/

'Basty's Modules' has probably every module from that era known to mankind, but it might take years to listen to them all

yeah exactly xD
Yeah it's like a total wilderness. Yeah there is a reason i ask for help and ideas on this project. Or i will be in my grave before it's half done ^^
Old 22 July 2023, 18:03   #6
no9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
could share those with me in a zip file or something.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3crpZndxD4pxLw
Old 22 July 2023, 19:29   #7
Fabled

Oh damn. Thanks lol, Yeah this is gonna take a while.
You listened to all of these?
Old 22 July 2023, 20:50   #8
Fabled

By the way. Anyone here who knows why it takes forever for windows to load a folder that contains modules? It's like it goes through every visible mod, and then suddenly it rearranges them from details to small icons.

If i leave a folder and come back, it does it all over again. Drives me nuts.

If i chose to make the folder window very small before i enter another subfolder, so that let's say only 1-2 files are showing. It's fast, and when i choose to resize to fullscreen, it's instant. But if i go into a folder with hundreds of modules, all of the visible ones goes through some sort of "arrangement" that cannot be stopped or interrupted. And it takes a really long time. Anyone here ever experienced this?

It only happens to visible icons. The ones below the window, does not go through this ordeal.

Last edited by Fabled; 22 July 2023 at 21:31.
Old 23 July 2023, 11:00   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If i leave a folder and come back, it does it all over again. Drives me nuts.
I'm sure there is a better answer to this, but that's why I use an alternative file browser in Windows (for example FreeCommander). Really dislike all the preview 'features' of explorer (maybe it's enough to just disable them in the folder options?).
Old 23 July 2023, 14:39   #10
Fabled

Quote:
I'm sure there is a better answer to this, but that's why I use an alternative file browser in Windows (for example FreeCommander). Really dislike all the preview 'features' of explorer (maybe it's enough to just disable them in the folder options?).

yeah i started using Total Commander for this, as i already had it installed. It's so strange, this only happens to folder with modules and some other music files, not any other folder. I really don't get it. And I'm on a gen4 nvme capable of 7000MB/sec. lol.
Old 24 July 2023, 09:54   #11
chip

If you need info about musicians of Amiga scene don't miss this site

https://amp.dascene.net/
Old 24 July 2023, 10:03   #12
no9

Quote:
Oh damn. Thanks lol, Yeah this is gonna take a while.
You listened to all of these?

I have listened to much more than these .
Old 24 July 2023, 13:59   #13
Fabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
If you need info about musicians of Amiga scene don't miss this site

https://amp.dascene.net/

Thanks
Yep, been on that site quite a bit. I'm currently vacuuming Demozoo, Pouet, LemonAmiga, Exotica, The Mod Archive, modules.pl and so on as well. This is a massive undertaking...

One thing I've learned at this point. I do think i have managed to gather a high percentage of the most iconic modules that was ever made for the Amiga, from demos and games alike. From composer like 4-Mat, Mantronix, Lizardking, Jogeir, Bjorn Lynne, Firefox, Tip, Jester, XTD, Dreamer, Virgill, Allister Brimble, Olof Gustafsson, Captain, Heatbeat, Laxity, Mad Freak, Moby, Nuke, Tim Wright and so on.

The other formats is something I'm currently working on as well. Like the soundtrack for Hired Guns was made in OctaMED. And Wings of Death soundtrack was made in a custom format and in Hippel. And speaking of Wings of Death soundtrack, I had completely forgot how insanely good it was, easily one of the best game soundtracks in any Amiga game. Just wow.
Old 24 July 2023, 14:32   #14
rygar

Check also this project Stone Oakvalley's Amiga Music Collection
https://www.paula8364.com/post.php?i...29122021124853
Old 24 July 2023, 15:40   #15
8bitbubsy

Quote:
By the way. Anyone here who knows why it takes forever for windows to load a folder that contains modules? It's like it goes through every visible mod, and then suddenly it rearranges them from details to small icons.
Windows thinks .MOD is a video recorder format, so it scans them all (for metadata/thumbnail making, most likely). It's very annoying. I wonder if there's something you can do in regedit for this, but I haven't found any solution so far (other than permanently disabling thumbnail view for folders, which is not a good workaround).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
MOD file format was created by Panasonic and JVC to contain video recordings with digital Camcorders.
Old 24 July 2023, 18:29   #16
Fabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Windows thinks .MOD is a video recorder format, so it scans them all (for metadata/thumbnail making, most likely). It's very annoying. I wonder if there's something you can do in regedit for this, but I haven't found any solution so far (other than permanently disabling thumbnail view for folders, which is not a good workaround).
I tried that, to turn off the thumbnails. And it didn't do anything for me. I guess because windows still scans the files for some sort of information.
Old 25 July 2023, 14:02   #17
Jope
-

You can disable any property handlers you do not like with regedit under the following keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers

SystemPropertyHandlers has a value per filetype and PropertyHandlers has a key for each filetype. You should remove the ones you don't want from both.
Old 01 December 2023, 22:29   #18
Shiftcode

Hi, for module playing and editing, have you tried Bassoon Soundtracker? It needs nothing else than a modern navigator to work, and I was blasted by the quality of GUI, very easy to use for Protracker users. Obviously, it is not limited to 4 tracks, but even more.

Check it out, it's here => https://www.stef.be/bassoontracker