English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 05 November 2023, 19:06   #1
hop

Identify disk space for cracktro/trainer

Are there any nice techniques for identifying space on a (cracked) non-dos game floppy disk in which to add a cracktro or trainer?

I thought I'd have a go after watching one of Hoffman's streams. Always wondered how this stuff worked. Great fun. Just done a non-dos game (Paramax with a little help from the Flashtro tutorial when it came to patching the decoded code in the loader). Thought it would be nice to try to add a little cracktro/trainer, but not sure how to identify unused space on disk.

Using a modern hex editor (HxD) I scrolled through the ADF and by eye identified a couple of regions which look like they are DOS formatted (tracks 46-59,151-159) as well as a region of zeros at the end of track 150. So I guess this is a good place to stick the extra data.

This method seems a bit bit prone to human error, and might not have been very convenient back in the day. Are there any better tried-and-tested ways other than high-speed eye-balling? Thanks for any insight.
Old 05 November 2023, 20:05   #2
phx
Natteravn

When you cracked the game you would usually know all about the disk layout and where any space for a cracktro is.

When you don't, then "lamers" would just use the space of the original cracktro.
Old 05 November 2023, 20:31   #3
demoniac

You could always select the empty sections with the modern hex editor and see if the total bytes would exceed your cracktro/trainer's size.
Old 05 November 2023, 20:44   #4
hop

Yes. I suppose most games has disk based protection so the disk layout would need to be redone anyway.
Old 05 November 2023, 20:46   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

If there was a protection track, you can use that space.

If you find "DOS" format strings that haven't been overwritten by the game then you know they at free, but really you should be able to observe the loaded tracks or at least interrogate the file list.

Or it could be there is no room, so you have to make it, is the main code compressed? If not, compress it and then you will free up space on the disk.
Old 05 November 2023, 21:08   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop View Post
Yes. I suppose most games has disk based protection so the disk layout would need to be redone anyway.
Not necessarily.

If the disk just has a protection track and normal dose tracks, there is no expectation you need to adjust the layout of the data.

Same on some games that have a custom MFM format, if the size of the disk format is the same as AmigaDOS tracks, you don't need to adjust the data, it can remain in the same place with simply a loader swap.

It's down to your experience of that protection that ultimately will decide if the disk layout changes.

One cracker might simply keep it sector loading, another cracker with the same game might crack the game to files.
Old 06 November 2023, 12:13   #7
pandy71

Perhaps: https://corte.si/posts/visualisation/entropy/index.html
straight to target: http://binvis.io/#/

Last edited by pandy71; 06 November 2023 at 12:18.