English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 October 2023, 08:43   #1
sandruzzo

Modern Amiga Game Price

What could be a good price for a new game for Amiga ocs/ecs and Aga? I'm talking about AAA+ game boxed...
Old 27 October 2023, 09:11   #2
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
What could be a good price for a new game for Amiga ocs/ecs and Aga? I'm talking about AAA+ game boxed...
The price people are willing to pay for...
For me, I'd say between 15€ to 60€ depending of the box qualities, goodies, medias used for the game... And of course depending of the game itself.
I'm pretty sure that for a game with Henk Nieborg gfx (he worked on a Megadrive game recently so that's not completely absurd) or Chris Huelsbeck music, people would pay even more...

Last edited by sokolovic; 27 October 2023 at 19:02.
Old 27 October 2023, 09:16   #3
vroom6sri

Personally I look at it in lines with how much did I pay for a game back around 1995 and how much does that relate to now. It seems to be about double (very quick Google search) so I suppose I would spend around £30-£50 now for the big boxed games I used to buy back then.
Old 27 October 2023, 09:59   #4
derSammler

Quote:
I'm talking about AAA+ game boxed...
Won't happen. You would need a million bucks and a dozen of very talented people for this.

I normally don't buy any modern games for retro systems, as I really don't see the point. For me, a modern game has to run on modern hardware, and a retro system is to run games from back then.

There are a few exception, e.g. I bought the deluxe boxed copy of Planet X3 for PC as well as Sam's Journey for the C64. So probably about $40 if I really would want to own the game. But for Amiga, it's very unlikely that I will ever buy a modern game for it.
Old 27 October 2023, 13:28   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No idea about boxed games, but for a digital download I personally think 15-30 € is a good price for a game that has some effort put into it. Really great to see that itch.io provides a platform to sell games for any system. Made me buy quite a few Amiga games in 2022 and 2023
Old 27 October 2023, 18:33   #6
Megalomaniac

It depends on so much - mainly quality, but also originality, development method and time, developer experience. For a well-presented boxed product that'll look good on the shelf I don't think £30 is unreasonable, equivalent of more like £15 back in the day - realistically, even if a new game is as good as what we bought then, will we get as much fun out of (say) Proxima 3 now as we did from SWIV or Battle Squadron back then?

For downloads I like the pay-what-you-think-its-worth model, I wonder how much developers normally receive for this? £10 is probably about the most I'd personally pay when there's no physical tangible product, which i guess is a sign of our generation having bought vinyls or CDs and videos or DVDs rather than just using streaming services?
Old 27 October 2023, 18:51   #7
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Won't happen. You would need a million bucks and a dozen of very talented people for this.
I'm pretty sure he means AAA in the homebrew sense, which nevertheless is comparable with what old commercial AAA games from big companies were like. Sam's Journey is certainly one such example.
Old 27 October 2023, 18:52   #8
jcgeuze

I'm still waiting for a quality strategy game for the Amiga, other than Planet X3 I haven't seen much.
Old 27 October 2023, 19:03   #9
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I'm pretty sure he means AAA in the homebrew sense, which nevertheless is comparable with what old commercial AAA games from big companies were like. Sam's Journey is certainly one such example.
You've nailed it!
Old 27 October 2023, 19:06   #10
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
And a pretty good one.

And Reshoot Proxima 3 also fits in this definition for the most recent commercial release on the Amiga
Old 27 October 2023, 21:15   #11
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgeuze View Post
I'm still waiting for a quality strategy game for the Amiga, other than Planet X3 I haven't seen much.
I thought Planet X3 is MS-DOS only? Anyway, you should check Aquabyss, it's not pure strategy but a very interesting hybrid title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
And a pretty good one.

And Reshoot Proxima 3 also fits in this definition for the most recent commercial release on the Amiga
Yeah, plus some other games from Tsak's list and of course the upcomig Grind & Metro Siege look pure AAA. And the runners-up on this list are at least A-AA anyway

I don't really have a big budget for games so personally I prefer buying new games digital, and old ones physical. Being a bit of a cheapskate I stick somewhere in the realm of 5-15 quid for digital download, maybe going a bit higher occasionally, if it's really a game from "my" genre (strategy/RPG/adventure/hybrid).
Old 28 October 2023, 04:40   #12
GWhizz

$10 -$60 dependng on overall quality and presentation ie: box extras ect