English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 October 2023, 18:36   #1
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Getting HDD LED working with Pi 4B, PiStorm32 Lite and A1200 Bifrost Heimdall Edition

An extremely specific question, but hoping somebody can help.

I've just fitted an A1200 Bifrost Heimdall Edition and it's possible to connect a wire to the Pi 4B to pick up the HDD (SD card) LED signal. Has anybody done this and could provide photos of where they soldered the wire, please?

Thanks!
Old 22 October 2023, 20:19   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

How about this:

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...r-amiga-a1200/

Old 22 October 2023, 22:51   #3
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
An extremely specific question, but hoping somebody can help.

I've just fitted an A1200 Bifrost Heimdall Edition and it's possible to connect a wire to the Pi 4B to pick up the HDD (SD card) LED signal. Has anybody done this and could provide photos of where they soldered the wire, please?

Thanks!
These LEDs look supercool. I don't think the photos do it justice from reviews I've heard but I have never seen one in real life to appreciate it myself.

I'm wondering whether I could by a reel of bifrost LEDs and mod existing lights cheaper lol.
Old 23 October 2023, 09:07   #4
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Thanks, but I think that's the Pi 3a or 3b, as it doesn't match any part of my Pi 4b.

I eventually found the answer by searching the PiStorm Discord channel:

https://discord.com/channels/7844284...49902731010078

Well beyond my soldering skills and ageing eyesight!
Old 23 October 2023, 16:42   #5
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing-ball View Post
any idea what the gist of this is? It’s asking me to sign up before getting to the information.
I hope screenshotting Discord doesn't get me into trouble. Full credit to "SID-6581" on Discord, who I think is also on here with the same username.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RPi4B.png
Views:	39
Size:	975.5 KB
ID:	80529
Old 23 October 2023, 17:15   #6
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Thanks, but I think that's the Pi 3a or 3b, as it doesn't match any part of my Pi 4b.

Sorry fella, I should have been more specific. - I asked Steve @ AmigaPassion about a week ago & am still waiting to hear back as he had to contact someone else @ St. Elsewhere. - I'd be guessing Discord which is kind of fitting - conflict, friction, hostility, disagreement....
(see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Any idea what the gist of this is? It’s asking me to sign up before getting to the information.
You're better off not bothering. They told me I had a duplicate account, (which I didn't) & shut down the only account I was using.
I challenged them about the matter via Email & then had all sorts of hoops to jump though in an effort to appease their narrow mindedness. - I didn't bother.
The entire site is very straight-lined without any structure. So you end up with one thread going on & on & on &...

Quote:
I hope screenshotting Discord doesn't get me into trouble. Full credit to "SID-6581" on Discord, who I think is also on here with the same username.

Attachment 80529
Can't see why that would hurt in any manner. There doesn't appear to be a watermark on the Image.

....Don't suppose you could pop back on there & look for the CM4 Module HD LED solder point could ya?
Old 24 October 2023, 02:24   #7
mja65

Quote:

Magnification is your friend!

I’m a pretty crap solderer and I can sympathise with the failing eyesight but it was pretty easy once I could see it.
Old 24 October 2023, 15:54   #8
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ StevenJGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
Magnification is your friend!

<snip>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
These LEDs look supercool. I don't think the photos do it justice from reviews I've heard but I have never seen one in real life to appreciate it myself.

I'm wondering whether I could by a reel of bifrost LEDs and mod existing lights cheaper lol.
I've not seen my Bifrost running yet because I'm still waiting to hear from Steve RE connecting the HDD LED Adapter into the loop.
From what I perceive of the hardware, there is a bit more to it than just tossing some fancy LED's into it.

You have to appreciate the LED's on this puppy are just surface mounted affairs & the 3 x Lens (diffusers) poke through the case & rock on 2 x Microswitches adjacent to each surface mount LED. - IE, Press the top diffuser at the left to contact that microswitch & at the right to contact the right most micro switch.

It's a TAD confusing for the most astute amongst us because the Bifrost hardware has been updated on the Mechanical side of assembly, but the site has no instruction for this modification at the time of writing.

I'd post some pics but my Web hosting is only letting me show URL Links right now....

Last edited by Kin Hell; 24 October 2023 at 16:06.
Old 24 October 2023, 16:53   #9
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
@ StevenJGore

I've not seen my Bifrost running yet because I'm still waiting to hear from Steve RE connecting the HDD LED Adapter into the loop.

From what I perceive of the hardware, there is a bit more to it than just tossing some fancy LED's into it.

You have to appreciate the LED's on this puppy are just surface mounted affairs & the 3 x Lens (diffusers) poke through the case & rock on 2 x Microswitches adjacent to each surface mount LED. - IE, Press the top diffuser at the left to contact that microswitch & at the right to contact the right most micro switch.

It's a TAD confusing for the most astute amongst us because the Bifrost hardware has been updated on the Mechanical side of assembly, but the site has no instruction for this modification at the time of writing.

I'd post some pics but my Web hosting is only letting me show URL Links right now....
Seems like this might be more work than initially thought. I thought it was more or less plug and play with the odd wire to solder...
Old 24 October 2023, 18:51   #10
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Seems like this might be more work than initially thought. I thought it was more or less plug and play with the odd wire to solder...
It is pretty much plug and play with the odd wire to solder! The 'complicated' part is configuring the lights to your liking, but even that's not too bad once you get the hang of it. They are the standard colours by default. I've configured my power LED and caps lock LED to be a nice deep blue colour, which looks awesome with a black case and black keys.
Old 24 October 2023, 22:10   #11
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Ummmm… Waste of money in my opinion. Just buy a set of LEDs with the colours you want… see https://centuriontech.eu/product/amiga-1200-leds/

Each to their own I guess……
These bifrost LEDs what is special about them? Is it the LED or the diffuser over them?
Old 25 October 2023, 13:54   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
I soldered wire to postive of Edu's CM4 board and then connected wire to pin 39 of IDE header. Works great.