English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 October 2001, 00:03   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Question PROBLEM: Two disks in two different floppies, but with SAME name

Yeah, that's really a problem, however, it's no specific game problem, but rather a general problem.

Is this an emulator problem or how did the REAL Amiga respond to two AmigaDOS disks with SAME Name inserted in both DF0: and DF1: ?
I do have a real Amiga, but no 2nd drive.

If this is an emulator problem, it ought to be fixed ASAP.
I also had gurus with WinUAE when working with two identical disks in different drives.
NOTE: For a test candidate, grab XoreX's upload of D-Day (French), because every disk has in fact the same name (but different contents)!
Old 04 October 2001, 00:31   #2
TikTok

I seem to remember reading a bit in the AmigaDOS manual about this once - it said basically that under these circumstances, "the Amiga chooses one of the disks at random" :eek. Personally I always thought this was way too simplistic and there must be a better technical explanation, but that was definitely the 'official' word.
Old 04 October 2001, 01:33   #3
Amigaboy

I don't really know what the problem is, but....

With AmigaDOS, if you insert 2 disks with exactly the same name, it will treat them as 2 different disks.

Let's say you insert KingOfChicagoDisk1 into df0:
Then you insert KingOfChicagoDisk1 into df1: (For some reason you have the same disk twice)

AmigaDOS will see these as 2 different disks. If you double click on the df1: one, you will get the dir listing of df1: (and vice versa with df0: )

Another example. Let's say you insert KingOfChicagoDisk1 into DF0: and you open df0: and leave the window open, then take out the disk in df0: (but the icon will stay on Workbench)
You then insert KingOfChicagoDisk1 (the other disk you have) into df0: . Even though they have the same name, AmigaDOS will treat it as a different disk and will therefore request the original disk to be replaced

I know I don't sound very clear, but that's what happens

Old 04 October 2001, 01:39   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I seem to recall earlier versions of the OS crashing if two disks had the same name. I believe it was fixed after 2.04, but don't quote me on when they fixed it...
Old 04 October 2001, 03:45   #5
Shadowfire

You sure? How about all those formatted disks? You trying to say that if we put two "Empty" disks in a pre 2.04 machine it'll crash? I don't recall that ever happening...
Old 04 October 2001, 07:43   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Pre-Kickstart 2.0 machines will crash if both labels AND timestamps are identical. There are no problems if only labels are identical.
Old 04 October 2001, 09:42   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, well that makes sense to me, since I was formatting fresh disks a little quicker by DMS'ing a blank disk and un-dms'ing it to new (blank) floppies to make the operation go faster. And if I kept the identical disks in more than one drive at a time, it was a lock-up (since the disks were, in effect, identical).
Old 04 October 2001, 09:50   #8
RetroMan

Re: PROBLEM: Two disks in two different floppies, but with SAME name

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
If this is an emulator problem, it ought to be fixed ASAP.
I also had gurus with WinUAE when working with two identical disks in different drives.
NOTE: For a test candidate, grab XoreX's upload of D-Day (French), because every disk has in fact the same name (but different contents)!
Ok, I digged out my A500+ with Kick-Switch (1.3 and 2.0) and also tested with WinUAE 0.8.17R2

A500+/Kick 1.3 ----> Crash
A500+/Kick 2.0 ----> works fine
WinUAE Kick 1.3 --> Crash
WinUAE Kick 2.0 --> also works fine

so it definitely seems to be a Kickstart Problem and it´s NOT emulator related .....
Old 04 October 2001, 19:03   #9
Amiga1992

Each disk might have a checksum of its own as well, explaining Amigaboy's situation. Toni? :P

Now the question is, what if I do this (will try it at home, homework. DUH! hold on, I have no extra disk drive ):

- Insert in df0: disk named 'Bozo'
- Insert in df1: disk named 'Bozo'
- open a new Shell
- type 'Bozo:'

Where would it go? I'd say df0: since it's the drive with the highest task priority?

I will makea disk today named 'Work' and see what happens when I do 'Work:'... I'd say it will switch to df0: because it has a priority of 5 and my work partition has a priority of -128

I'm running 2.04 btw.

Heh, this is a nice exercise andreas
Old 04 October 2001, 21:03   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
WinUAE Kick 2.0 --> also works fine
Please try Kick 3.0 / 3.1 as well.
I had SEVERAL crashes with two identical disks, WinUAE 0.8.8 R8 and my standard WB 3.0 HDF image.
(NOTE: Due to various reports of checksum errors introduced by 0.8.17 with harddisk images, I'm VERY careful with this matter because I don't want to have to use my backup image...)
Old 04 October 2001, 21:32   #11
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Please try Kick 3.0 / 3.1 as well.
I got no Kick3.0 handy here, but here´s the result with Kick3.1 and there´s no problem at all ....

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 19:48.