English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 September 2023, 22:55   #1
eXeler0

I asked ChatGPT to rank top 50 game controllers, here's the list...

To be clear, it took a couple of iterations and tweaks to get this list. Initially it was ignoring a lot of classic systems and focusing on more recent stuff. I also asked it to ignore any hand-held systems, and also aim for variation. Furthermore, I asked it to rate it according to how well it was received, how well it functioned for its system, build quality.. I asked it to ignore stuff like how compatible it is with other systems.. Finally, I asked it to write some sort of reason for why one similar is better than some other (eg PS4, vs PS5)

Here's the list. What do you think?
My personal reflection was that its actually not very meaningful to try to compare controllers over 4 decades, but, hey.. Here it is.. The bot did the hard work.

***EDIT 2023-09-25:*** Some user(s) noticed that some controllers featured twice in the same list. Below is the updated list from Chat GPT after it was told to fix the issue with repeated entries.

### Top 50 Game Console Controllers (Best to Worst) <---- Updated since original post (V2)

1. **Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 (Xbox One)**
- High-quality build, customizable, excellent ergonomics.

2. **DualShock 4 (PlayStation 4)**
- Ergonomic design, touchpad functionality, rated higher due to more universally appreciated design compared to PS5's DualSense.

3. **Nintendo Switch Pro Controller**
- Comfortable grip, accurate controls, great battery life.

4. **Xbox 360 Controller**
- Ergonomic, reliable, set the standard for many future controllers.

5. **DualSense (PlayStation 5)**
- Innovative haptics, adaptive triggers, rated lower than PS4 due to divided opinions on new features.

6. **GameCube Controller (Nintendo)**
- Comfortable design, excellent for fighting games.

7. **Xbox One Controller**
- Solid build, good ergonomics, seen as a slight iteration over the 360 controller.

8. **DualShock 3 (PlayStation 3)**
- Good ergonomics, wireless, six-axis motion sensing.

9. **Dreamcast Controller (Sega)**
- Innovative VMU slot, ergonomic but bulky.

10. **SNES Controller (Nintendo)**
- Introduced shoulder buttons, comfortable for its time.

11. **Wii U Pro Controller**
- Good battery life, comfortable but lacks a gyroscope.

12. **NES Controller (Nintendo)**
- Iconic, set the standard for D-pad design.

13. **Sega Saturn Model 2 Controller**
- Good for 2D games, comfortable D-pad.

14. **PlayStation 2 DualShock 2**
- Well-received but mostly an incremental upgrade over its predecessor.

15. **N64 Controller (Nintendo)**
- Innovative but odd three-pronged design.

16. **Atari 2600 Joystick**
- Iconic but very basic.

17. **Neo Geo AES Controller**
- High-quality joystick and buttons, but bulky.

18. **PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Controller**
- Compact, functional, and straightforward.

19. **Amiga CD32 Controller**
- Tried to blend joystick and gamepad, but not very ergonomic.

20. **Sega Master System Controller**
- Functional but lacking compared to its contemporaries.

21. **Atari 7800 ProLine Joystick**
- An improvement over the 2600 but still quite basic.

22. **Atari 5200 Controller**
- Notorious for its non-centering joystick and reliability issues.

23. **Apple Pippin Controller**
- Unconventional design, not very comfortable.

24. **FM Towns Marty Controller**
- Functional but basic, slightly awkward layout.

25. **Neo Geo CD Controller**
- Similar to AES but felt cheaper.

26. **Philips Videopac Controller**
- Innovative but cumbersome to use.

27. **OUYA Controller**
- Innovative but lacked execution and quality.

28. **WaveBird Wireless Controller (GameCube)**
- First successful wireless controller, but heavier than the original.

29. **Astro C40 TR (PS4)**
- Professional-grade customization but expensive.

30. **Wii Remote and Nunchuk**
- Innovative but not ideal for all types of games.

31. **PowerA Fusion Pro (Xbox One)**
- Offers good customization but not as refined as other professional controllers.

32. **PDP Afterglow (Various)**
- Aesthetic appeal, but build quality can be inconsistent.

33. **Thrustmaster eSwap Pro**
- Highly customizable, but requires time to get used to.

34. **Original Xbox Controller (The Duke)**
- Bulky and unwieldy, not very ergonomic.

35. **Vectrex Controller**
- Innovative for its time but lacking in comfort and ergonomics.

36. **Intellivision Controller**
- Unique but overly complicated for its time.

37. **ColecoVision Controller**
- Innovative but difficult to use.

38. **Philips CD-i Controller**
- Uncomfortable, poor build quality.

39. **3DO Controller**
- Unique design but not very functional.

40. **Jaguar Controller (Atari)**
- Awkward design, too many buttons.

41. **Hyperkin Duke (Xbox One)**
- Nostalgic, bulky.

42. **Razer Wolverine (Xbox One)**
- Customizable, good build quality.

43. **Sega Genesis 6-Button Controller**
- Improved over its 3-button predecessor, good for fighting games.

44. **SteelSeries Nimbus**
- Aimed at Apple TV gaming, decent build but not groundbreaking.

45. **Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R**
- Lacks the polish of mainstream controllers.

46. **TurboGrafx-16 Controller**
- Basic but functional.

47. **Zeebo Controller**
- Functional but not memorable.

48. **Panasonic 3DO Controller**
- Unique but not very functional.

49. **Magnavox Odyssey Controller**
- Pioneering but primitive.

50. **Fairchild Channel F Controller**
- Unique for its time but quickly outdated.

---

Note that controllers from the same console series are rated based on how well they were received, their ergonomics, and their impact on gaming at the time. Also, some controllers that appeared in the previous list were removed to accommodate the new conditions.
---------------------------------------------------

I asked a follow up Question about the CD32:

"Could you explain what you mean by the CD32 trying to blend joystick and gamepad?"

----------------------------------------------------
ChatGPT

Certainly! The Amiga CD32 controller was somewhat of a hybrid between traditional gamepads and joysticks, at least in terms of its design intentions. It had a D-pad, much like you'd see on a typical gamepad, and action buttons that were common for controllers at the time. However, the shape and layout were a bit more reminiscent of joystick controllers, including a bulkier form factor and button placement.

The idea was presumably to offer the best of both worlds: the directional precision of a D-pad with the kind of button layout you might expect from an arcade joystick. However, the result was a controller that was often criticized for not being particularly comfortable or ergonomic to use for extended periods, and it didn't excel in either domain (as a gamepad or as a joystick). Hence, it's often noted as an attempt to blend the two forms, but not one that was universally successful.

Last edited by eXeler0; 25 September 2023 at 15:54. Reason: Had Chat GPT fix some repeat-errors in the List
Old 24 September 2023, 23:03   #2
eXeler0

Another natural follow up question was to ask it to describe the best possible controller, it does a pretty convincing pitch:

"Based on all of your experience, describe the absolutely best game controller that could be built"

----------------------
ChatGPT

Designing the "absolutely best" game controller would be a tall order given the varied preferences and needs of gamers, but here's an attempt to describe one based on popular features, ergonomics, and advanced technology:
The Ideal Game Controller
Build Quality:

Material: High-quality, lightweight yet sturdy magnesium alloy for the main body with rubberized grips for added comfort.
Weight: Balanced weight distribution for optimal comfort during long gaming sessions.

Ergonomics:

Shape: Adapted to fit a broad range of hand sizes comfortably.
Button Placement: Intuitively placed action buttons, triggers, and bumpers for quick and natural access.
Adjustable Components: Modular, adjustable thumbsticks, D-pad, and palm grips to suit individual preferences.

Features:

D-pad: A hybrid D-pad that can switch between a traditional cross and a disc, catering to both fighting game fans and those who prefer more traditional controls.
Thumbsticks: Clickable, with adjustable resistance levels and optional convex or concave caps.
Buttons: Mechanical switches for quicker and more tactile feedback.
Triggers: Adaptive resistance triggers that can simulate various tactile sensations.
Touchpad/Screen: A small OLED touch-sensitive screen that can display context-sensitive controls, or other game-related information.

Functionality:

Haptic Feedback: Advanced haptics not just in the grips, but also in the triggers and buttons, for precise tactile feedback.
Motion Sensing: Six-axis gyroscopic motion sensing.
Microphone: Built-in noise-canceling microphone for quick voice commands.
Battery: High-capacity, fast-charging, and replaceable battery with at least 30 hours of playtime.

Connectivity:

Wireless: Latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth standards with minimal latency.
Ports: USB-C for charging and wired play, 3.5mm headphone jack.

Customization:

Software: Extensive software support for button remapping, sensitivity adjustments, and haptic feedback customization.
Design: Easy-to-swap cosmetic plates for personal customization.

Accessibility:

Adaptive Controls: Optional attachments and configurations for disabled gamers.

Compatibility:

Universal Compatibility: Although not a primary focus per your guidelines, the ideal controller should work flawlessly with multiple platforms without any additional software/hardware.

Price:

While this is a high-end product, the price should still offer good value for the money, keeping it within reach for most serious gamers.

Combining all these elements could, in theory, produce a controller that provides a superior gaming experience across a variety of genres and playstyles.
---------------------------------------
Old 25 September 2023, 07:50   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, the newer XBox controllers are pretty good. The list looks a bit like it was based on 'most popular' rather than 'best' though.
Old 25 September 2023, 09:13   #4
kremiso

note the 3DO and Jaguar controllers doubled in positions 39 and 40
and then on 49 and 50

EDIT and the Playstation 2 Dualshock 2 in position 14 and then 47
Sega Saturn Model 2 position 13 and then 48

the original Megadrive 3 buttons one should be placed too, the 6buttons one is too much down imo

Last edited by kremiso; 25 September 2023 at 09:33.
Old 25 September 2023, 09:38   #5
dreadnought

Dreamcast's is apperently "ergonomic but bulky". Isn't that an oxymoron?

Overall, the bot seems very heavily biased towards US/consoles, hence lack of some iconic joysticks such as CompetitionPro or Quickshot. Also, bit too obsessed with "innovation" misunderstood as the use of gimmicks or simply bad design, hence too high rankings for N64, Dreamcast and some others.

Also, GC at #6? The likes of NES, PSX DShock and Atari 2600 should be in the top 10 instead.

Modern Xbox ones are decent quality indeed, but I will never understand the reason for the skewed-style stick layout on them.
Old 25 September 2023, 09:44   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Modern Xbox ones are decent quality indeed, but I will never understand the reason for the skewed-style stick layout on them.
Do people actually still use the directional pad more often than the left analogue stick? When you play games that aren't first person it makes sense to have one analogue stick and the 4 main buttons in the most 'reachable' positions. Might be just my personal bias though as I only use it on PC and play any first person game with mouse and keyboard.
Old 25 September 2023, 10:01   #7
dreadnought

I don't know if it's really "more reachable" than having it lower, for me it just breaks the symmetry that Dualshocks have and feels a bit weird when navigating 3D. Also the left thumb feels a bit more constrained this way. But, yeah, millions of people seem to enjoy this layout so it sure is down to personal preference, or maybe what you started out with (PSX was my first console, Xbox came far later down the line).

The majority of most popular modern games are 3D, either TPP or FP, so the usage of 2 sticks is crucial at all times. And even though I grew up with KB+M I got so used to gamepads that even now I play 90% of FPS games with them on PC...it's just so much more comfortable. Only use KBM for some competitive shooters such as Planetside or PUBG.
Old 25 September 2023, 12:27   #8
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Combining all these elements could, in theory, produce a controller that provides a superior gaming experience across a variety of genres and playstyles.
Yes, but only according to a text prediction algorithm with no hands.
Old 25 September 2023, 13:13   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Yes, but only according to a text prediction algorithm with no hands.

Old 25 September 2023, 15:53   #10
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
note the 3DO and Jaguar controllers doubled in positions 39 and 40
and then on 49 and 50

EDIT and the Playstation 2 Dualshock 2 in position 14 and then 47
Sega Saturn Model 2 position 13 and then 48

the original Megadrive 3 buttons one should be placed too, the 6buttons one is too much down imo
Thanx for pointing this out, I returned to the GPT chat and had it re-generate the list. In order to avoid another wall of text in this thread I updated the original post.

3DO is still featured twice, but technically its not wrong as the 3ds was manufactured by several companies and controllers looked a bit different. (Eg Panasonic, Goldstar + 3rd party etc..)

Last edited by eXeler0; 25 September 2023 at 17:05.
Old 25 September 2023, 16:28   #11
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I don't know if it's really "more reachable" than having it lower, for me it just breaks the symmetry that Dualshocks have and feels a bit weird when navigating 3D. Also the left thumb feels a bit more constrained this way. But, yeah, millions of people seem to enjoy this layout so it sure is down to personal preference, or maybe what you started out with (PSX was my first console, Xbox came far later down the line).

The majority of most popular modern games are 3D, either TPP or FP, so the usage of 2 sticks is crucial at all times. And even though I grew up with KB+M I got so used to gamepads that even now I play 90% of FPS games with them on PC...it's just so much more comfortable. Only use KBM for some competitive shooters such as Planetside or PUBG.
I also prefer having the sticks symmetrical. To fix either way, I love my Thrustmaster eSwap controllers where I can move them around and test what is more comfortable!
Old 25 September 2023, 17:40   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Might depend on how big your hands and/or fingers are. My smallish hands prefer the XBox controller layout, and that is coming from someone who was playing with dualshocks for many years before I ever touched an XBox controller.