English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 20 September 2023, 11:30   #1
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Mountlist - Filesystem: Drivers Already loaded/in ROM?

Quick question... maybe?

If a filesystem driver/library is already loaded by a previous mount or in ROM then does the Filesystem L:driver still load a new copy from the hard drive or does it use the loaded one

I've made the assumption that once it's loaded, it doesn't load again, but (recent related threads) seem to imply that you MUST specify a disk location in the mountlist or it doesn't load/access it, so the question is;

Does a Mountlist entry reload the filesystem driver into RAM (in other words it's pointless having it in ROM) or does it just need that to get past the loading of the module?

For example, you can put Fat95/CrossDOSFilesystem into a kickstart ROM, but it seems as if the Mountlist entry requires a reference to a disk based copy e.g. L: does this mean it loads another copy or (like loadmoule) it then goes on to use the already loaded copy - maybe checking the version?

It doesn't seem efficient if it does this, and seems to imply that multiple entries (e.g. a PCMCIA with multiple partitions) would load the driver multiple times - and I'm not sure how the OS would even know which one to direct it to.
Old 20 September 2023, 14:06   #2
thomas

The list of loaded file systems is held by filesystem.resource and the key to the list is the DosType.

I am not sure about the following, but I think it is so, that

1. the list entries must be maintained by the handlers / file systems themselves. If a file system does not insert itself into the list, it cannot be found by DosType.

2. if you specify FileSystem= in a mount list, this entry takes precedence over the DosType, i.e. it must exist at the specified path and is loaded every time. If you want to reuse an already loaded file system, you have to omit FileSystem= and select the file system only by DosType.
Old 20 September 2023, 16:28   #3
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The list of loaded file systems is held by filesystem.resource and the key to the list is the DosType.

I am not sure about the following, but I think it is so, that

1. the list entries must be maintained by the handlers / file systems themselves. If a file system does not insert itself into the list, it cannot be found by DosType.

2. if you specify FileSystem= in a mount list, this entry takes precedence over the DosType, i.e. it must exist at the specified path and is loaded every time. If you want to reuse an already loaded file system, you have to omit FileSystem= and select the file system only by DosType.
Cool, so if the driver is in ROM/loaded then the mountlist must exclude Filesystem and use DosType instead.
Got it, will have a play.
Cheers