English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 September 2023, 16:40   #1
CCCP alert

Did you find Amiga Defender of the Crown easy?

It's not like when I played it I breezed through it after owning the more challenging Atari ST version for a couple of months so the urban myth that it is easy doesn't hold for me.

But, did you find it 'too easy' as most people seem to think? Easy being a relative term, what's easy for a strategy game addict is not easy for an arcade game addict, and it falls between the two genres really. I am an arcade gamer first and foremost. But that's just how I remember it, on both the ST and Amiga, it is a bit tougher on the ST but if anything I think the ST/C64 version is too tough.
Old 11 September 2023, 17:20   #2
grond

The way I remember it, it didn't take long to figure out that your chances at success were the highest choosing the character that was best at sword fighting. Then you'd invest every penny you earned in knights and go on raiding neighbours. Operation of the catapult was also quickly learned, you only had to see that you moved down two pixels for each shot after the first successful shot. In my opinion it was hard to not win.
Old 11 September 2023, 17:22   #3
Snoopy1234

iirc it took many attempts through weeks if not months. The sense of reward when completing a game seems to vary between titles. DOC was par for the course but I lusted after the princess in her nightgown, whereas Bubble Bobble felt like a masterstroke after so many levels as did Mousetrap on Colecovision.
It might be different today as I was very young then and I hadn't gamed much.
Old 11 September 2023, 20:49   #4
desiv

I found it what I would call "playable" and not "easy".
But then, I'm not great at games... ;-)
Old 11 September 2023, 21:24   #5
CCCP alert

I was watching the walkthrough by Abandonware on YT and he didn't buy any knights at all, just soldiers and one catapult, which is counter to what I remember reading/being told that knights are worth 8 soldiers or something in combat. He also explained that if you choose Longsword the bottom 3 castles on the map are the only ones you need to worry about etc. Perhaps it's simple when you know how, like with many surprisingly short longplays on YT vs my memory, but it's finding out what you need to know that took time I suppose. It felt a bit easier than the ST version but not as much as some people say today.

Looking at Defender of the Crown II that looks like only half the game has been touched. The extra stuff, like the 2.5D parallax scaling of 3-4 levels of background graphics in the jousting is a really nice touch, swinging bells on the end screen look odd though. Some bits look identical though. Surprised DotC 2 didn't sell the CD32 as a killer app'
Old 11 September 2023, 22:02   #6
Fiery Phoenix

I still cannot do the joust section!
Old 12 September 2023, 08:05   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
It may help you :
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...53#post1530353
Old 12 September 2023, 09:37   #8
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
lol ditto, on any bloody version I've tried (64, ST, Amiga)
Old 12 September 2023, 12:57   #9
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Could never win a joust or take over a stronghold. It was a really frustrating game for me.
Old 12 September 2023, 13:09   #10
grond

I once won the game exclusively by jousting for land. For this I chose the character with the best jousting skills. Of course, you needed to know how to do the jousting which required a lot of experimentation or a friend telling you (see link to an earlier discussion above). For any raid to be a success, you had to choose the best sword fighter. Catapulting was moving the catapult down to a specific scanline for the first shot and then two scanlines down for each subsequent shot. It was really that simple.
Old 12 September 2023, 13:12   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
For any raid to be a success, you had to choose the best sword fighter. Catapulting was moving the catapult down to a specific scanline for the first shot and then two scanlines down for each subsequent shot. It was really that simple.
This was my tactic. Never got the hang of jousting, but raiding castles was quite easy once you figured it out.
Old 13 September 2023, 01:24   #12
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I once won the game exclusively by jousting for land. For this I chose the character with the best jousting skills. Of course, you needed to know how to do the jousting which required a lot of experimentation..........
This actually seems to be a significant part of how to win at Defender of the Crown II looking at the walkthrough for it on YT. It is also a 60 minute longer video so significantly more tricky I guess.
Old 15 September 2023, 02:06   #13
Rotareneg

I always used Geoffrey for his high swordplay stat as I could never figure out any trick/strategy/technique for the sword fights besides just clicking and hoping. Joust whenever possible to take more territory per turn than you could with just an army.

[ Show youtube player ]