English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 August 2023, 21:17   #41
Mick

I just noticed that Zeewolf was released in November 1994, so that could well be the last game I bought before moving to Playstation.
Old 31 August 2023, 21:48   #42
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Nice to see that so many of you stayed past the main commercial era - some of this stuff aimed at higher end systems looks quite impressive, just a shame it was so rare. I did consider doing the same, having a heavily upgraded Amiga and a PS1, buying Amiga games where possibly but mainly using it for the serious stuff, but in the end I chose a Windows 95 PC as I wanted what everyone else had - especially the sequels to my favourite Amiga games, indeed. Learning Windows PCs probably came in handy for my future too.

I did get Super Skidmarks and Worms, got a lot of fun out of both despite not being able to access all the features, though I got Worms United on PC later for the extra features.
Well, we are here so among the millions of peoples that had an Amiga between 1985/1994 you should imagine that the ones sticking in an Amiga board in 2023 are the most fanatics.
Old 01 September 2023, 13:38   #43
Megalomaniac

This is true, a lot of people on here kept using Amiga-derived hardware as their main systems continuously, probably joined this board for practical advice as much as for being retro, at least for serious stuff if not games. By contrast, LemonAmiga is mostly people who had Amigas for games in the days of Lemmings and Cannon Fodder, left when Playstations and Windows 95 took over, and only went back for a nostalgia trip years later. Unfortunately I was in the glory-hunting segment, a majority overall but a minority here...
Old 01 September 2023, 13:50   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You are not alone I think it's a healthy mix overall. EAB is certainly more hardware oriented than Lemon, but nowhere near as much as a1k.org. So I'd say it sits right in the middle
Old 01 September 2023, 15:51   #45
Torti-the-Smurf

Hhhhmm.. i think the last game i bought back then was

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT and it was a Capital Punishment in every way
Old 01 September 2023, 16:36   #46
Peanutuk

I think it was Gloom, heavily discounted, in 1998. It didn't work, but was so cheap I couldn't be bothered taking it back.
Old 02 September 2023, 14:14   #47
CCCP alert

Checking the review dates in magazines I suspect the last game I bought was Super Stardust AGA. I may have been given games on pirate disks after that but this was only a few months before I got a PS1 and Japanese NTSC Ridge Racer so I had moved on. I used my Amiga 1200 after this really just for Dpaint etc, as a relaxing pass time and play some of my old favourites (although my Lotus II and III disks crashed on my A1200 and I'd sold my A500!)
Old 09 September 2023, 23:17   #48
Zak
Zap´em

The last new releases that I bought were Quake, Genetic Species, Flyin High and Wheelspin AGA in 1998. Genetic Species was brilliant. Flyin High was hard to control, then a patch came out and it was too easy with it. Wheelspin was mediocre, the demo was more fun than the actual game. It's not terrible though. I don't remember which game was last.

I bought more games after 1998, but they weren't new releases.
Old 10 September 2023, 00:09   #49
desiv

Interesting....
I am having a bit of a problem understanding this phrase in your question:
"game you bought"
Kidding!!! ;-)

Hmm... This is a tough one...
But I am thinking Simon the Sorcerer most likely...
Old 10 September 2023, 02:13   #50
Marcuz

It could be either Action Fighter, or Battle Chess: I don't remember which came first.

Great games both; neither was a recent release when bought.
Old 10 September 2023, 03:07   #51
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

If I remember correctly, it was Turbo Trax by Arcane. Barely played it, though. It's not that the game was bad, it was just meh. I couldn't shake the feeling that if it had come two years before, it would have been a blast but in those days, it was just too depassé. The Amiga was still a machine I was very fond of, even though I used it less and less, but I had upgraded my PC from a basic 486DX2@66MHz to a multimedia 486DX4@120MHz and was using it increasingly more and more. Also, my first PlayStation was just about to happen...
Old 12 September 2023, 16:00   #52
anachronicus
Amigan For Life!

I guess the last game I bought new in a shop was Disposable Hero around 1994. Within a couple of years I moved on to other platforms but I still have my Amigas and I dig them out every so often. Mostly use emulation these days to scratch my Amiga itch.
Old 12 September 2023, 16:08   #53
anachronicus
Amigan For Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
... The Amiga was still a machine I was very fond of, even though I used it less and less, but I had upgraded my PC from a basic 486DX2@66MHz to a multimedia 486DX4@120MHz and was using it increasingly more and more. Also, my first PlayStation was just about to happen...
The first computer I built was a 486DX4@100MHz. That was a learning experience for sure
Old 14 September 2023, 11:13   #54
Wilf

Valhalla: before the war or zeewolf. Bought around the same time so can't remember which. Got them on a market stall when most shops weren't stocking miggy games anymore

Last edited by Wilf; 14 September 2023 at 11:19.