English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 May 2023, 18:42   #41
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
Truth? Luck. The fire resistant chemical additive quantity is the primary driver. 'Bad' plastics can yellow even in complete absence of UV light given enough time.
Absolutely. My original A600 turned mulato after years in a box, inside a closet.
Old 26 May 2023, 19:25   #42
Aulapatchuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Absolutely. My original A600 turned mulato after years in a box, inside a closet.

Just the luck I have with my gear, irmão Brasileiro!

Maybe your A600 needed some air after all.
Old 26 May 2023, 22:40   #43
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulapatchuc View Post
Just the luck I have with my gear, irmão Brasileiro!

Maybe your A600 needed some air after all.
It basically needs air, but not much, and be protected from sunlight, but also not much.
Old 30 May 2023, 15:26   #44
Dale423

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenophis View Post
@AndyC & all,

This post and the one on FB are one of the few reasons we'll most certainly not produce anything else for Amiga anymore. You can mark my words. Despite the hundreds of positive feedback we get - and more - this type of attitude just kills it.

Few guys in team told me recently this is why we can't have nice things in Amiga land. And I believe them now.
So a few vocal fringe complaints negates the "hundreds of positive feedback"? So you are throwing in the towel? This makes no sense to me.

Its like a film maker never making another film due to a few bad reviews. Its the internet, you will never please everyone. Not a reason to quit.
Old 31 May 2023, 00:18   #45
Romanujan

Quote:
This post and the one on FB are one of the few reasons we'll most certainly not produce anything else for Amiga anymore. You can mark my words. Despite the hundreds of positive feedback we get - and more - this type of attitude just kills it.

Few guys in team told me recently this is why we can't have nice things in Amiga land. And I believe them now.
Bullshit:
- the black Amiga 1200 case I got was only OK-ish; there are two clearly visible discoloured areas, one above F5-F6 keys, another one above the LCD breakout
- we were promised the CAD projects - we never got them; and yes, these were important to me, as I was experimenting with 3D printed addons, and the CAD files could have saved me some money

I have ordered few sets of kaycaps, in different colours, plus one limited edition; you were assuring us you they will be delivered Q2 2017, even addressing me personally (link: https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=72). We are at the end of Q2 2023, and what did I get?
- only one black keycap set, after a long time; not really useful to me anymore, as I got the keyboard from RastPort (really great product, despite I got a rather early version, which is probably slightly inferior to what Krashan currently sell)
- something like three years ago you have informed me the colors I have chosen won’t be produced and I had to choose some others; I wanted a refund, but you refused
- today I have sent another request for a refund; we’ll see what answer I’ll get

Moreover, at the local Amiga user site (PPA.PL) I could see a lot of posts of people claiming they have paid for the cases, and didn’t get them - but they could see they were being sold online…

In the mean time I got various other retro products: Checkmate A1500 case, MEGA65 (that was expensive… but worth it!), a replica mouse (wireless), Ultimate 1541 in a nice case, etc. Sure, there were delays, not everything was perfect, the mouse project author honestly admited he didn’t have enough money to build the stretch-goal transmitters and asked us to pay extra if we wanted them - but comparing to what you have done, all these problems are simply negligible.

If you think I’ll want to buy anything else from you in the future - think again. I’m really shocked that any reputable online shop still wants to cooperate with you.
Old 31 May 2023, 00:38   #46
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Any chance of passing the mantle on to somebody who will?
Old 31 May 2023, 01:42   #47
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Personally, when I buy these type of products, as a consumer I don't expect these things to be perfect. Someone says something like "no yellowing." I assume that means under most conditions... It's not possible for these type of projects to test for all types of situations in the time they have...

I find it weird that when a product comes along, people think it's perfectly reasonable to make statements that aren't factual about what the product does or doesn't do. Resistant to yellowing isn't that big a claim. Will never yellow is a major and specific claim so I keep wondering how it seems so unreasonable in this day and age to expect actions to match words.
Old 31 May 2023, 04:02   #48
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
so I keep wondering how it seems so unreasonable in this day and age to expect actions to match words.
I just seem to think marketing is marketing... ;-)
When someone says something that I think is probably not true, I kind of assume it's a marketing stretch.

But that's me...
Old 15 June 2023, 23:48   #49
moebius_rising

All the more reason Marcel should be removed as a moderator.
Old 16 June 2023, 00:26   #50
Pyromania

My CDTV has never yellowed and it's over 30 years old. Maybe the solution is to always buy the black and or darker cases. I always thought all Amigas should be black anyway like the prototype. I never understood the obsession with making computers cream or white. I painted my A500 camouflage when I owned it.
Old 23 June 2023, 16:13   #51
Acill
Tech Guru

My white 1200 case has yellowing sections on it now, and is just not the quality I had wanted of it. I also have a black case I now use. Its not perfect, but at least it works. The complaints I see from criticism from the A1200 net team is just silly. If you cant take it, you need to rethink your product decisions. The Amiga community has had critics since the early days. That will never change. I get them all the time for boards I make on why I didnt design them to have this or that, or make them this way or that way. You cant please everyone.
Old 29 June 2023, 07:10   #52
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Hi folks,

I'm putting this out there to get a feel for what people think. Before I go on, I want to make clear that I have an A1200.net case and keycaps. They are fantastic products, and I am very happy with mine.

There are reports, however, that some white A1200.net cases are beginning to yellow. From my recollection, they were very clear from the onset that the cases would not yellow, at all. A brief search of wayback machine found that this was, indeed the case. However, looking at subsequent revisions of the page, this claim was quietly removed.

A facebook user posted their concerns on the page, and a perfectly civil conversation ensued, which Phillipe and Marcel from A1200.net were quickly alerted to. I posted screenshots of the original wording, and subsequent revisions, and pointed out that people might have good reason to complain, given what they were told. I wasn't rude or unpleasant in any way.

Both Phillipe and Marcel engaged, quite forcefully, with me over a series of posts, which culminated in a rather silly "Karen" comment, which aside from being casually sexist and misogynistic, actually breached the sites own posting rules on etiquette.

No sooner had this post been made when the entire thread was locked, presumably by Marcel, who made the final comment moments before.

The thread can be viewed here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Comm...9667579304157/

Now, there was no legitimate reason to close the thread. It is entirely reasonable to discuss the quality of products made available to the Amiga community. In this case, there are clear issues with claims made about the product, which could become a major issue for people that purchased these over the preceding years (being under the entirely reasonable impression that the cases won't yellow).

What is fairly obvious (although I'm happy to be corrected) is that Marcel, who is himself a moderator of the Facebook page, has abused his position, and has a clear conflict of interest, by stifling legitimate discussion of A1200.net's products, and their conduct.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else here agrees, or if this isn't worth getting worked up about.

Thanks!

AndyC
It's related to https://www.reuters.com/article/chin...0PL2DD20140710

Maintaining the white color on consumer products can be an intellectual property issue.

I didn't believe A1200.net's China-sourced claim, but A1200.net's case is good enough for cloning A1200 new builds and replacing damaged A1200 cases.

Use quality paints.
Old 02 July 2023, 07:49   #53
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
My white 1200 case has yellowing sections on it now, and is just not the quality I had wanted of it. I also have a black case I now use. Its not perfect, but at least it works. The complaints I see from criticism from the A1200 net team is just silly. If you cant take it, you need to rethink your product decisions. The Amiga community has had critics since the early days. That will never change. I get them all the time for boards I make on why I didnt design them to have this or that, or make them this way or that way. You cant please everyone.
If I select the white color, I prefer to paint it with UV-resistant white paint.

My Phanteks P500 white PC case has gloss white paint on the metal instead of white plastic.
Old 03 July 2023, 06:12   #54
Charles Littell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Em, if you say so - I didn't insinuate that at all.

It is undeniable that A1200.net stated that the cases would not ever yellow over time. It's there for all to see in the historical record.

All you had to do was apologise for *unintentionally* misleading people. But instead you paint yourself as this amazing philanthropist that the rest of us should venerate for all the great things you've done for the community. The arrogance is breath-taking.

But this post is about whether or not members of A1200.net team should be able to moderate posts discussing their products. And the answer is most emphatically "no".

A.
I think the perfect fix for this is don't buy their cases keep buying the overpriced ones from Ebay that you know are already yellow. I have bought many of the 500and 1200 cases from A1200 and I really did not pay that close of attention to " our cases will not yellow". I am more than happy get a new case for my Amiga!
Old 03 July 2023, 06:31   #55
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
I just want my keycaps after three or is it four years since my Indigogo support. Maybe my grandchildren will enjoy them.
I have been waiting for 6 years, and I will not even get the colors I ordered.
Never ever again I will buy something from them.
Old 04 July 2023, 15:11   #56
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
I have been waiting for 6 years, and I will not even get the colors I ordered.
Never ever again I will buy something from them.
We're told to keep the shipping info up to date, but i dont know if ill be at home on the 15th of Augtember 2025

I ordered black keys with red Function keys etc. dont even know if thats happening now or not, i gave up years ago, i got Kippers mehanical keyboard for my A1200 back ~ April 2020 and i ordered that after these ones

Like you though, would never pre-order anything from A1200.net again though.
Old 05 July 2023, 13:06   #57
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Littell View Post
I think the perfect fix for this is don't buy their cases keep buying the overpriced ones from Ebay that you know are already yellow. I have bought many of the 500and 1200 cases from A1200 and I really did not pay that close of attention to " our cases will not yellow". I am more than happy get a new case for my Amiga!
From my POV, yellowing is not a big deal when it can be covered with proper white paint.

I generally don't believe "our cases will not yellow" claims.

If I accidentally damage my A500 or A1200 case, I'll buy it from A1200.net.
Old 04 October 2023, 19:01   #58
8bitbubsy

I just got to know about this, and man am I angry... Back when I bought my new A1200.net A1200 case, I bought the expensive piece of plastic ONLY because they claimed it has an "anti-uv protection layer" which means it "won't yellow" (yes, they wrote something along those lines as well). They made flat out false marketing claims, which is illegal in many countries. Depending on what country the business side of things are handled, it's actually possible that they could be group-sued. I'm definitely in if someone needs a signature.
Old 04 October 2023, 19:37   #59
klx300r

the ONLY way to make white plastic not yellow when exposed to UV is NOT TO EXPOSE IT TO UV

now if you want to paint over the yellow with a good quality spray paint then problem solved too
Old 04 October 2023, 19:56   #60
huggy70

Quote:
it's actually possible that they could be group-sued
so whom will you sue?

I wanted to order one of their cases but did not because there where no contact information on their site.

So they want me to pay to an anonymous web site and I have no clue who I am doing business with. I don't know where they are based but at least here in EU, companies at minimum must include an email address and a geographic address on their website.

So in case you have a complaint all you can do is fill out a contact form on their site it seems.

As good as the product may be or not, to me this is not an option to do serious business.