English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 March 2023, 07:56   #21
manossg

A Vampire V4SA.
Old 18 March 2023, 09:49   #22
Paulee_Alex_Bow

If all someone wants is to d1ck about with games, a fine pass time btw, a real Amiga isn’t the best option IMHO, I’d tell them to get an A500mini.

If people want to tinker or do something creative (music/art etc) then maybe A500+; cool 500 design with an easy 2MB Chip RAM.
Quite easy/cheap-ish upgrades like TF536 or PiStorm to turn it into a very useful machine, with WHDLOAD for older games compatibility. I tend to feel that having an installed environment is the *real* Amiga experience.

A1200 would be good to, now that there are cheap acceleration options, but what you gain with AGA you lose in build quality a bit, eg the keyboard scanning is kinda crappy on the 1200.
Old 18 March 2023, 10:49   #23
drHirudo
Amiga user

I know it's against the forum religion, but when I speak to anyone who used to have Amiga and still remembers and want one, the most logical machine (for me and them) is NG (PPC based) Amiga (SAM, X1000 or X5000). It's the best bang for the bug, you don't need to create Frankenstein machine, just to be able to listen to MP3s in 16 bit, no need for scan doublers, flicker fixers, Picasso, RTG, AGA, AHI, OS 3.2, Media Players. Vampire Coffins OS and many other complications.
When my X5000 came earlier this year, I opened it, attached USB mouse and keyboard, then connected the LAN cable and HDMI and I was ready to go - Amiga Workbench in Full HD (1920x1080) with option to go for 4K if I needed to, without the need to search for MUI, RTG, AHI, Picasso, IBrowse etc. And most importantly, I have semi usable Web Browser, that is good for more than opening Aminet to download stuff.
Old 18 March 2023, 11:11   #24
a/b

A500 with ACA500+ and (external) Gotek. If you later decide this isn't enough for you, you can upgrate to PiStorm+RTG for super cheap.
Old 18 March 2023, 11:22   #25
pixie

If one has to pay a load for emulating 68k you might as well use a PC and run it all faster than any ppc
Old 18 March 2023, 11:29   #26
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
If one has to pay a load for emulating 68k you might as well use a PC and run it all faster than any ppc
Yep, I paid a load for my Vampire SA!

PPC, X64 or FPGA is irrelevant here. Most people who played games back in 1990-ies, are not into much gaming anymore, so if they want to enjoy Workbench and stuff, Amiga OS 4 is the most advanced AmigaOS version ever.
Old 18 March 2023, 11:35   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Most people who played games back in 1990-ies, are not into much gaming anymore, so if they want to enjoy Workbench and stuff, Amiga OS 4 is the most advanced AmigaOS version ever.
Not so sure about that. I'd say there's more people that are interested in Amiga gaming than there are in AmigaOS itself. Certainly I wouldn't suggest investing 2,400 € just to find out...
Old 18 March 2023, 11:41   #28
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Not so sure about that. I'd say there's more people that are interested in Amiga gaming than there are in AmigaOS itself. Certainly I wouldn't suggest investing 2,400 € just to find out...
Sure. More people are interested in Amiga gaming, than in the OS itself. That's why Amiga emulation is very popular.

I just gave my opinion above, why PPC machine is more sensible choice for me and past Amiga users that I spoke to. And as I said, I know it's against the forum religion, no need to send a shitstorm against me.

I have a bunch of classic machines (from original A1000 to MiSTer and Vampire SA), but most of my Amiga tinkering time is spent on the PPC machines.
Old 18 March 2023, 12:01   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
And as I said, I know it's against the forum religion, no need to send a shitstorm against me.
Are we a bit touchy? You wrote that most Amiga users from the early nineties aren't into gaming anymore and I just wanted to point out that that might not be the case. I also mentioned that getting a X5000 might be overkill if you are trying to figure out how to use an Amiga in 2023. Not sure where I unleashed a shitstorm against you in my post.
Old 18 March 2023, 12:11   #30
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Are we a bit touchy? You wrote that most Amiga users from the early nineties aren't into gaming anymore and I just wanted to point out that that might not be the case. I also mentioned that getting a X5000 might be overkill if you are trying to figure out how to use an Amiga in 2023. Not sure where I unleashed a shitstorm against you in my post.
Most Amiga users from the early nineties aren't into gaming! Or not into Amiga gaming. The ones that are still curious about the Amiga, will find AmigaOne X5000 much more enjoyable, than A500, A600 or A1200. Being able to connect it to modern displays and USB HID devices right out of the box is a big winner for me. No need to find additional convertors, accelerators, just to be able to play some old game. Except for the retro enthusiasts, I can't remember anyone still keeping CRT monitor or TV. Or the ones that have them, are not sure if they work anymore. For retro 68K gaming Ultimate MiSTer is okayish option, with MegaAGS.

That's my opinion!
Old 18 March 2023, 12:46   #31
Cris1997XX

In my opinion, no Amiga models are worth getting if you don't have enough money to afford such old stuff. I would obviously recommend the A1200...but let's be honest here, Amiga computers have been scalped to hell and back for these last few years. Some serious commitment is required to play on real hardware
Old 18 March 2023, 13:28   #32
crazyc

Quote:
I agree with TCD - If I was going to spend that amount of money then I would want it to be able to do stuff that actually would be better done on a PC anyway.....
If I just wanted to play some old games then I would probably suggest emulating as the way to go.
Personally I enjoy the hardware aspect, and actually the operating system etc as well (but actually only really use it to play old games.... )
Old 18 March 2023, 18:56   #33
ImmortalA1000

This is my thoughts about the A500mini....why bother if you already have a PC?

It's nothing like using a real Amiga and it doesn't offer any more of an authentic experience than using WinUAE on a DELL PC keyboard via an LCD TV/monitor. No 'mini' recreation of a computer is useful really, theC64 mini is another "vs PC+emulator+USB controller for peanuts" setup where it isn't worth the effort, you might as well just use WinUAE or VICE and at least then you can still buy a USB to D9 adaptor and plug in a decent joystick like the Euromax Zipstik etc which you can't do on theC64 Maxi let alone the mini. I presume theA500 mini also has this issue of not supporting standard Windows supported USB to D9 joystick port adaptors?

Unlike the poor C64/128, Amiga has RGB analogue output which is quite easy to quantise down to VGA 31khz RGB analogue even if you don't have a SCART RGB socket on your LCD TV. If you live in the EU your LCD TV will have SCART RGB input so you are good to go, no real need to get a CRT unlike people choosing between C64+SD2IEC vs theC64 Maxi option. Amiga picture on my enormous plasma TV via SCART RGB is pin sharp and lovely, nothing like playing Lotus II or Shadow of the Beast 1 in the dark on an enormous plasma TV Output on my cheap Panasonic bottom of the range LCD TV is also more than equal to what WinUAE displays via HDMI all things considered, 320x256 is not really a high bandwidth screen mode for a 1080p LCD TV to display.

I also assumed most people would have either owned an Amiga in the past, so they know the software library well, or they have already tried WinUAE as an option and maybe then moved up to USB to D9 adaptors + decent controller already and are still open to the idea of maybe using a real Amiga hardware for the full nostalgic hit but not wanting to go mad on the investment needed. That was my thinking anyway.
Old 19 March 2023, 01:02   #34
klx300r

Thumbs up

Amiga 1200, fast ram, PCMCIA adapter, WHDLoad
Old 19 March 2023, 19:43   #35
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post

It's nothing like using a real Amiga and it doesn't offer any more of an authentic experience than using WinUAE on a DELL PC keyboard via an LCD TV/monitor. No 'mini' recreation of a computer is useful really, theC64 mini is another "vs PC+emulator+USB controller for peanuts" setup where it isn't worth the effort, you might as well just use WinUAE or VICE and at least then you can still buy a USB to D9 adaptor and plug in a decent joystick like the Euromax Zipstik etc which you can't do on theC64 Maxi let alone the mini. I presume theA500 mini also has this issue of not supporting standard Windows supported USB to D9 joystick port adaptors?

Unlike the poor C64/128, Amiga has RGB analogue output which is quite easy to quantise down to VGA 31khz RGB analogue even if you don't have a SCART RGB socket on your LCD TV. If you live in the EU your LCD TV will have SCART RGB input so you are good to go, no real need to get a CRT unlike people choosing between C64+SD2IEC vs theC64 Maxi option. Amiga picture on my enormous plasma TV via SCART RGB is pin sharp and lovely, nothing like playing Lotus II or Shadow of the Beast 1 in the dark on an enormous plasma TV Output on my cheap Panasonic bottom of the range LCD TV is also more than equal to what WinUAE displays via HDMI all things considered, 320x256 is not really a high bandwidth screen mode for a 1080p LCD TV to display.

I also assumed most people would have either owned an Amiga in the past, so they know the software library well, or they have already tried WinUAE as an option and maybe then moved up to USB to D9 adaptors + decent controller already and are still open to the idea of maybe using a real Amiga hardware for the full nostalgic hit but not wanting to go mad on the investment needed. That was my thinking anyway.
You can stick the A500 mini’s nostalgic for factor in the living room, and use it for entertainment with friends. That friend-focussed nostalgic fun is the reason people buy them I think.
Old 20 March 2023, 04:19   #36
TheLurker

Quote:

Retronic Design's adapter lets you use joysticks with the Mini.

Things like the Mini aren't meant for someone like you, or probably even the average member of this forum. They are for people that had an Amiga (or a console from that time period) in the 80s early 90s and are nostalgic for playing some games from their youth. They may not have even seen or thought about one for 20+years. I think people here that are well versed in emulators, RPis, custom configs, tweaking video settings, joystick adapters, etc. forget that we are a minority.

Most people don't have the time, desire or skill for that kind of thing. They just want to take something home and plug it into the TV and start playing console style. Not screwing around with installing an emulator, configuring it, tracking down game files, yada yada yada. These mini products - NES, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive and so on - allow them to do that.
Old 20 March 2023, 08:49   #37
Thomas Richter

Quote:
How about you?
Seriously? If I would recommend something, then the only recommendation I had is "not to buy an Amiga at all". The "average user" is probably just going to play a couple of old games, and for that, you better have your PC and an emulator ready. That is the easiest, least expensive, least stressful and most realistic option.
Old 20 March 2023, 09:14   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Seriously? If I would recommend something, then the only recommendation I had is "not to buy an Amiga at all". The "average user" is probably just going to play a couple of old games, and for that, you better have your PC and an emulator ready. That is the easiest, least expensive, least stressful and most realistic option.
Old 20 March 2023, 09:55   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulee_Alex_Bow View Post
You can stick the A500 mini’s nostalgic for factor in the living room, and use it for entertainment with friends. That friend-focussed nostalgic fun is the reason people buy them I think.
Yep. Although I do boot it up for myself too if I want to try out a game I never played before. I give myself more time with it when playing on the couch, emulation is usually for quickies.
Old 20 March 2023, 10:52   #40
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I was watching Pixel Vixens #2 spot of '12 days of Amiga' which she placed the OCS A500 at. This would make the A1200 here #1 Amiga on balance.

This isn't about technically the best, most expandable, or cheapest but a combination of the three I guess along with what you would do with the machine.

So if somebody just wanted to play Amiga games on a CRT TV with a Zipstik etc I would actually put the OCS A500 as number 1 as it easily runs more games than any other machines and you can add extra drives and some extra RAM for all but the 1mb Chip RAM requiring games. It's the cheapest option too. There really isn't that many AGA must have games at all, can't think of an AGA exclusive game either apart from Gloom for a stock A1200/CD32 that I would like or having Lotus III with the superb frame rates of Lotus II.

If you want to do more on the productivity/creative side an A1200 is better as not only do you have the built in IDE port but you also get to play around with AGA graphics for pixel art and animation. The 2mb Chip RAM is also very useful for having high quality samples for your music projects. Before things like PiStorm CPU socket accelerators for A500 I would have said easier to get a small speed boost via something like a 1220/4 (with the option of another 4mb daughterboard) but perhaps that's not really part of it.

Obviously I have all sorts of machines, well all of them except an A3000, and if you want to play polygon games an A4000/040 is a nice place to start but this is not really what the topic is about. I can't think of any must have CD32 or CDTV games either come to think it. So personally I would say for Joe Public just wanting to relive their computer gaming youth I think a 1mb A500 with an external drive and a decent CRT TV is a good place to start, an A1200 is a good step up from that if you need AGA or want to play around with things like Wordsworth (there was an Amiga Format coverdisk for 2mb A1200 I seem to remember finding a few days ago in my stash of disks).

How about you?
If you want the original thing, get an A1000.

If you just want to relive your 80ies youth and play a few games, get a 500 and a Gotek. Plus some solution to have this displayed on whatever display you currently have.

Otherwise, A1200 and some accelerator. It's the best all around Amiga, imo.