English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 February 2023, 03:09   #1
rhester72

Pinball Fantasies ECS - NTSC and HD install disk questions

- Obviously Pinball Fantasies ECS for NTSC existed...but are there any known SCP/KF dumps of it for preservation? (If not, I'm about to begin the hunt, but I suspect it will not be cheap.)

- There was a card you could fill out in both the UK and US releases where you could send in your 3 disks to get back a hard-drive-installable version. Has anyone ever actually seen/encountered this? If so, what form did it take? Since you had to send your disks in, I'm assuming that there were both PAL and NTSC versions of this 'special release' as well, but I've never seen mention of it anywhere outside the PDF scan of the mail-away form on HoL.
Old 25 February 2023, 09:04   #2
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
Has anyone ever actually seen/encountered this? If so, what form did it take?
In TOSEC you can find 'Pinball Fantasies (1992)(21st Century)(NTSC)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr SR][HD]' and 'Pinball Fantasies (1992)(21st Century)(NTSC)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr SR][HD]'. I'd assume they are based on that HD version.
Old 26 February 2023, 02:44   #3
rhester72

I bit the bullet on a 3-disk set and a 2-disk set on eBay. They are clearly very different (just from the labels alone), both are NTSC. We shall see what I get. =)
Old 02 March 2023, 23:40   #4
rhester72

Added raw KF 5-rev preservation dumps of the (modified hiscores) 3-disk NTSC set and corrected IPFs of same to The Zone. [Note for the future: Track 1.1 is the high score track on both table disks, same as the PAL release]

Still to be preserved:

- ECS NTSC 512K table disk (did it even exist? Unlikely as A501s were _plentiful_ in the US by this time)
- ECS PAL hard-drive installable version (2 disks?) [this one is confirmed to exist but is undumped in any form - if someone has a pointer towards an original set, that would be appreciated!]

(It's worth noting that on the NTSC version, they are labelled 'Table Disks' instead of 'Course Disks', despite the program asking for the latter!)

Last edited by rhester72; 08 March 2023 at 03:09. Reason: NTSC HD acquired!
Old 02 March 2023, 23:45   #5
TCD
Global Moderator

I've uploaded the Kryo dumps and the IPFs to Turran's server. Thank you for the upload
Old 08 March 2023, 03:07   #6
rhester72

As expected, the most recent acquisition is Pinball Dreams NTSC HD installable, which is essentially a LhA archive spread across two disks with a rudimentary installer and manual-based protection - the cracked version in TOSEC is same (except cracked, obviously). Standard AmigaDOS formatting. 5-rev KF preservation dumps and IPFs in The Zone.

VERY interested in a look at the PAL version of this...still zero luck finding one anywhere. Things of note:

- It will be a 2 disk set, labeled Pinball Fantasies - Amiga PAL Disk 1 and 2 with a 1992 copyright date
- The AmigaDOS disk labels are 'pinball_disk1' and 'pinball_disk2'
- pinball_disk1 contains a single Workbench icon called "Install"

This *did* exist per inserts shipped with every floppy-based version of the game but was only available by direct order.

Very much willing to pay to purchase/preserve, feel free to PM.