English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 November 2022, 00:06   #21
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV and AmigaSystem!

Thanks jPV for the info. I'll try to save a config... Still, what should db/lastfm_users.json contain? Maybe it would be better to provide db and the needed "blank" files by default?

Also, would you have any idea about the 1000s of GetVar codeset_default? I'll go out on a limb and say that it's called for every char. shown in RNOTunes...

AmigaSystem, my Amiga has nothing to do with RNOTunes not playing correctly some formats: if AmigaAMP or HippoPlayer can, so could RNOTunes Please note that I'm not blaming RNOTunes (and certainly not complaining to jPV!), I understand that RNOTunes depends on Hollywood libraries, which may not be currently optimised for real 68k computers, but that's their problem, not mine in the context of my comparison.

Take care!
Old 30 November 2022, 09:20   #22
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Still, what should db/lastfm_users.json contain? Maybe it would be better to provide db and the needed "blank" files by default?
I like to keep it tidy with no scattered config files in a default installation, so I won't be making the db directory or dummy files there, but I'll fix the db directory creation for this one function in the next version. Meanwhile you can create the RNOTunes/db/ directory yourself.

Again, it's better not to create a "blank" file there, because the program creates it when a user changes his setup, otherwise it isn't needed and can break the default setup.

But if you insist, the minimum needed text is (but you lose the exaple user then):
Code:
[]
Or keeping the example user that would be shown if there isn't a file at all:
Code:
["JellyPowered"]
Quote:
Also, would you have any idea about the 1000s of GetVar codeset_default? I'll go out on a limb and say that it's called for every char. shown in RNOTunes...
It's codesets.library checking for an env variable to override a system default character set. I don't know what in Hollywood makes it check that often at startup, but it's not something that I'd do in my code. For comparison the codesets.library is used on AmigaOS, but Hollywood uses charsets.library on MorphOS and I don't see that kind of log on it... I'll try to figure this out some day. In any case it's not about every char, that would be 10000s or 100000s More like strings, functions, or lines in the code...
Old 30 November 2022, 18:55   #23
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV

Thanks for your answer!

One last question: would you have any idea about the OpenFont FONTS:.font and OpenFont FONTS:.otag? Maybe a (Hollywood) function expecting a font but accepting an empty string or even a NULL?

Cheers!
Old 01 December 2022, 18:56   #24
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
One last question: would you have any idea about the OpenFont FONTS:.font and OpenFont FONTS:.otag? Maybe a (Hollywood) function expecting a font but accepting an empty string or even a NULL?
This is MUI opening fonts you have in your MUI settings, here they show XHelvetica size 11 etc, which I do have in my MUI settings. In any case I don't open or use any fonts in Hollywood itself, it's all MUI. Maybe you haven't defined fonts in your MUI settings and that's why it does try first something like that?
Old 01 December 2022, 22:45   #25
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV!

Good point! I'll check this out later on my Amiga

Take care!
Old 01 December 2022, 23:43   #26
DisasterIncarna

yeah maybe instead of using a specific font name its instead using the fonts MUI sets as smallest/normal/large/larger etc and if any of them happen to be blank/unset in MUI prefs, then maybe thats why your seeing a blank unspecified font entry in snoopdos.

I had a similar issue with a different program, in the end i just set everything as variations of XHelvetica or the EU version, even if a smaller/larger version isnt available id just reuse a close enough size.
Old 02 December 2022, 04:02   #27
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV and DisasterIncarna!

Yes, exactly that

Once I set specific fonts/sizes in the Windows and Group pages of the MUI preferences, the "empty" font failure disappeared!

I never had noticed these settings before, I learned something

Take care!
Old 15 January 2023, 01:31   #28
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Hi jPV,

Thanks very much for this program, looks really good.
I just wanted to find out what precision the FPU version of RNOTunes requires. I tried this on the Icedrake V4 but couldn't play any files, they would just disappear from the list when trying to load them in.
Thanks a bunch.
Old 15 January 2023, 06:02   #29
Zabi

Nice work!
Old 15 January 2023, 19:02   #30
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
Thanks very much for this program, looks really good.
Thanks!

Quote:
I just wanted to find out what precision the FPU version of RNOTunes requires. I tried this on the Icedrake V4 but couldn't play any files, they would just disappear from the list when trying to load them in.
The FPU version should work with 68881 compatible FPUs, which means 68881 , 68882, 68040, and 68060. Do the same files work with the non-FPU version of the program?
Old 15 January 2023, 23:20   #31
npagonis73

Based on my experience where I used RNOTunes with my Vampire 1200 V2 (163 MIPS ) I found the following. MP3s play in slow motion with stutter as well. The fpu version of the program seems that doesn't work well and one of the thing it does is not to add any songs to the list. Using the non fpu version songs are added but the quality is very bad. The program seems too heavy even for vampire with 163 MIPS.

Last edited by npagonis73; 16 January 2023 at 13:38.
Old 16 January 2023, 00:14   #32
AMIGASYSTEM

npagonis, RNOTunes is one of the best Multiplatform programs in the Amiga world, the problem is that on Amiga OS3 you have to use it on WinUAE or FS-UAE.

The Vampire is a machine too fast for old software, and too slow for modern software, the problems you have encountered are only on Real Amiga.

On AROS for example RNOTunes works perfectly with all audio formats, see attached video

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 January 2023, 06:28   #33
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
The FPU version should work with 68881 compatible FPUs, which means 68881 , 68882, 68040, and 68060. Do the same files work with the non-FPU version of the program?
Yeah the files do work with the non-FPU version but I get pops in the audio. Could that be because it's not using a FPU? Other than the pops, it sounds good otherwise.

The reason why I query the precision requirement is because the FPU in the Apollo V4 range is not 80 bit. I *think* it may be 64 bit, but I am not 100% sure, so please don't quote me. It was first thing that came to mind as to why the FPU version may not load MP3's on my A1200 with Icedrake V4. Unless, it's a completely different reason.

Using AHI driver with Apollo's ARNE 16bit sound and Amiga OS 3.1.4.
Old 16 January 2023, 06:38   #34
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by npagonis73 View Post
Using the non fpu version songs are added but the quality is very bad.

Did you change "Music Unit" (NOT Unit 0) in the AHI driver to "Paula:Hifi 14 bit stereo++ calibrated" and 22050Hz?
Old 16 January 2023, 08:53   #35
jPV

Quote:
Yeah the files do work with the non-FPU version but I get pops in the audio. Could that be because it's not using a FPU? Other than the pops, it sounds good otherwise.

The reason why I query the precision requirement is because the FPU in the Apollo V4 range is not 80 bit. I *think* it may be 64 bit, but I am not 100% sure, so please don't quote me. It was first thing that came to mind as to why the FPU version may not load MP3's on my A1200 with Icedrake V4. Unless, it's a completely different reason.
I have no idea about the inner working and precisions, because I just compile the FPU version of the program with the FPU switch enabled and use FPU versions of plugins.

There could be many reasons for the pops. Maybe it's not buffering the audio output enough, maybe source filesystem doesn't keep up (is there any difference if playing files from the RAM: disk?), maybe the AVCodec (FFMpeg) plugin is still too heavy for the CPU (FPU could help, but don't know if it'd be enough)...

I have tested both 68k versions (FPU and non-FPU) on a WinUAE based setup as well as under MorphOS (with its internal CPU emulation), and didn't see any of these problems under them.

I guess I'll have to ask about these things from the Hollywood author, if there'd be something to optimize/fix in the 68k version of the AVCodec plugin. Or if someone with Apollo/Icedrake/Vampire and Hollywood could provide a simple test case and report it on the Hollywood forums, it would be more helpful to get started.
Old 16 January 2023, 13:41   #36
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
npagonis, RNOTunes is one of the best Multiplatform programs in the Amiga world, the problem is that on Amiga OS3 you have to use it on WinUAE or FS-UAE.

The Vampire is a machine too fast for old software, and too slow for modern software, the problems you have encountered are only on Real Amiga.

On AROS for example RNOTunes works perfectly with all audio formats, see attached video

[ Show youtube player ]
Yes i fully agree with you and i didn't mean that RNOTunes is a bad program. Our friend JPV always writes the best quality amiga software and i use many of them. Just this one is not for our Vampires.
Old 16 January 2023, 13:50   #37
npagonis73

Quote:
Did you change "Music Unit" (NOT Unit 0) in the AHI driver to "Paula:Hifi 14 bit stereo++ calibrated" and 22050Hz?
Yes i use these settings anyway because AmigaAmp needs the same in order to play mp3s. I have discussed the issue with JPV, he is aware of the vampire issue but probably it is just too heavy for it and that is the end of it. Too bad because the program is great as everything else he does.
Old 12 April 2023, 16:53   #38
jPV

Version 1.1 is out:

- Added button graphics previews in the settings window
- Button graphics can be swapped without restarting the program
- Optimised removal/deletion of tunes
- Added an option to hide/show filename extension(s) when a filename is used as a title in the tune list
- Improved filename extension hiding for formats that start with an extension
- Adding new Last.fm users failed if the db directory didn't exist
- The Last.fm scrobbling setting was left enabled if its initialising was cancelled
- Added import support for M3U8, EXTM3U, PLS, WPL, and XSPF playlists
- External playlists can be dragged & dropped into the tune list if they have a common filename extension (the program exports them as .m3u itself)
- Added support for system notifications via MagicBeacon (MorphOS), Ringhio (OS4), and Ranchero (OS3)
- The delete requester is more verbose
- The position slider works better with the mouse wheel
- Keyboard shortcuts can be localised
- Initial fixes/work-arounds/safety-checks for Vampire and BPPC issues
- Added Flat graphics by Highlander
- Improved documentation
- Added an Italian catalog
- Minor tweaking
Old 16 April 2023, 19:43   #39
samo79

@jPV

Found some mispelling in the italian translation, please fix:

- Esportazione della playlist principale --> Esporta la playlist principale
- Sccessivo --> Successiva
- Modificale proprietà... --> Modifica proprietà...
- Modifia playlist: --> Modifica playlist:
- Inizia Riproduzione --> Inizia riproduzione
- Interface grafica --> Interfaccia grafica
- Seleziona i file musicali o le directory che li contengono --> Seleziona i file musicali o le directory che le contengono

Last edited by samo79; 16 April 2023 at 19:49.
Old 16 April 2023, 22:01   #40
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi samo79, I did the translation, the errors you mentioned are actually distraction errors, due to my 69 years old and my old keyboard

I do not understand this correction of yours, the strings are the same, maybe the capitalization in reproduction ?

----- Italiano ----

Ciao samo79, ho fatto io la traduzione, gli errori da te citati in effetti sono errori di distrazione, dovuti ai miei 69 anni e alla mia vecchia tastiera

Non capisco questa tua correzione, le stringhe sono uguali, forse il maiuscolo in riproduzione ?