English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 November 2022, 08:03   #1
jPV

RNOTunes released

RNOTunes is a GUI based audio player application with support for many different audio formats, embedded cover images, and Last.fm scrobbling. A video demonstration of the program is available on YouTube:
[ Show youtube player ].

The program is available for AROS (i386), AmigaOS 3 (68k and WarpOS), AmigaOS 4, and MorphOS. Please visit its homepage for more information, screenshots, and download links.

Features:
- Supports MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AIFF, WAV, Protracker, DigiBooster, SID, AHX, FastTracker II, ScreamTracker, OctaMED, The Player, NoisePacker, ProRunner, Oktalyzer, Impulse Tracker, Ultra Tracker, Ice Tracker, Liquid Tracker, Quadra Composer, and many other formats
- Configurable GUI with a cover image display
- Loads embedded cover images and other metadata from MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis files
- Built-in Last.fm scrobbler
- Lyrics display
- Tune properties editor which saves changes to a local database
- Internal playlists
- Import and export playlists from Jukebox, AMPlifier, etc
- Automatic/manual saving of the last session
- All time playcount saving
- Tune rating option
- Extensive file selection functionality
- File delete option
- ARexx, command line, and tooltypes support

RNOInfoScreen has also been updated to support RNOTunes and a new version of it has been released now.

Last edited by jPV; 24 November 2022 at 16:51.
Old 24 November 2022, 15:31   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

I would say one of the Best Multiformat Player existing on Amiga, supports many audio formats, very stable and fast, all audio formats are played without slowdowns or hiccups.

Successfully tested on my AfA One OS 3.9 BB4 (see screenshot), also works very well on AROS One x86 (you will find it installed in the next is upcoming version of AROS One 1.9)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 September 2023 at 00:57.
Old 24 November 2022, 15:56   #3
nikosidis

I use this with my AROS laptop. It is a very nice player. Thank you
Old 24 November 2022, 19:56   #4
McMiggy

Tried the WOS version on my A4000T with CSPPC (060-50/604E-360) on OS3.2.1.
It plays FLAC amazingly effortless, CPU load about 15% on both the 060 and the 604E.
Impressive!

I wonder if in the future ALAC will be supported.
Old 24 November 2022, 21:16   #5
spoUP

Splendid work jpv!
Old 24 November 2022, 21:25   #6
DisasterIncarna

looking good.

1 thing, can the icons for folders actually have created folder accompany them, without a matching folder, tools like CopyIcon cannot be used to quickly replace our old images with your bundled ones as it/they wont always work without the matching folder.

ie: i tried dragging over the OS3.9 folder icon using CopyIcon and it doesnt allow that until u manually went to that folder and created a folder called OS3.9 to match the icon.

so far its played everything ive thrown at it including SID files, will a future update perhaps support .M3U files so we can play online music stations like Slay Radio?

Will there be a way to preview the different gfx images for the GUI?

Great program, hoping to see future updates
Old 25 November 2022, 12:45   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
looking good.

1 thing, can the icons for folders actually have created folder accompany them, without a matching folder, tools like CopyIcon cannot be used to quickly replace our old images with your bundled ones as it/they wont always work without the matching folder.
There is a trick, convert Icons from Folder to Project or tool, done this CopyIcon will allow the replacement, after the change restore the icon as folder

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 November 2022 at 13:03.
Old 25 November 2022, 18:52   #8
DisasterIncarna

thanks, ill give that a try.
Old 26 November 2022, 17:51   #9
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMiggy View Post
Tried the WOS version on my A4000T with CSPPC (060-50/604E-360) on OS3.2.1.
It plays FLAC amazingly effortless, CPU load about 15% on both the 060 and the 604E.
Impressive!
Great to hear a test result on a real WOS setup! I only tried the WOS version under MorphOS. Really cool that it performs so well on real hardware.

Quote:
I wonder if in the future ALAC will be supported.
I don't know.. sounds quite a marginal format (Apple specific), but if the plugins I use start supporting it, RNOTunes will support it too.
Old 26 November 2022, 18:38   #10
McMiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Great to hear a test result on a real WOS setup! I only tried the WOS version under MorphOS. Really cool that it performs so well on real hardware.
That was my good news
I tried it on my A1200 with BlizzardPPC (running WOS using BPPCfix), but it crashes on startup, no idea why.

Quote:
I don't know.. sounds quite a marginal format (Apple specific), but if the plugins I use start supporting it, RNOTunes will support it too.
I know it is a marginal format, but the majority of my music collection has that format, so for me it will be very nice if RNOTunes supports it.
On Aminet are several versions of the codec, tried only the OS4 version with Tunenet for now.
Old 27 November 2022, 14:34   #11
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMiggy View Post
That was my good news
I tried it on my A1200 with BlizzardPPC (running WOS using BPPCfix), but it crashes on startup, no idea why.
Oh... does the WOS version of RNOInfoScreen work on that setup?

Quote:
I know it is a marginal format, but the majority of my music collection has that format, so for me it will be very nice if RNOTunes supports it.
On Aminet are several versions of the codec, tried only the OS4 version with Tunenet for now.
Hmm.. basically unsupported formats that are supported by the system by datatypes etc. should also work if they're not recognized by plugins. Does it make any difference if you remove avcodec.hwp from use (by renaming or moving the file)?
Old 27 November 2022, 16:17   #12
McMiggy

Quote:
Oh... does the WOS version of RNOInfoScreen work on that setup?
The WOS version gives me the error: "Incompatible screen pixel format detected! File: RNOInfoScreen.hws (current line: 1130 - ln function: OpenDisplay)" and refuses to work.
The 68k/68kFPU versions work fine.

Quote:
Hmm.. basically unsupported formats that are supported by the system by datatypes etc. should also work if they're not recognized by plugins. Does it make any difference if you remove avcodec.hwp from use (by renaming or moving the file)?

I tried renaming the file on OS4 on which the Tunenet ALAC-plugin is installed, but it made no difference. On OS3.2 I have no ALAC codec, the
WOS version I found on Aminet looks more a converter than a datatype/plugin.

Last edited by McMiggy; 27 November 2022 at 16:26. Reason: Typo
Old 27 November 2022, 18:01   #13
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jVP!

Thank you for RNOTunes

I added it to my table comparing players

(Unfortunately, on my (real) Amiga 1200 + 060, several formats do not play and freeze the UI/my Amiga: CDDA (all sub-formats), MPEG (all sub-formats), OctaMED MMD3, and OGG... The problems surely come from the libraries used to recognise and play these formats?)

Take care!
Old 27 November 2022, 18:37   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

On OS3 all formats work fine, you probably have some library that conflicts, in the screenshot you can cede the various formats I tested

Check the LIBS for old Hollywood libraries, I recommend to concentrate "all" Hollywood libraries in LIBS and delete those in RNOTunes folder, this applies to all Hoallywood programs.

This method avoids having lots of duplicate old and new libraries.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 September 2023 at 00:57.
Old 28 November 2022, 15:56   #15
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
You have marked "No AHI", but it is using AHI (Music Unit by default on 68k versions, and Unit 0 on others). The AHI output unit can be swapped with -legacyaudio and -nolegacyaudio shell arguments (or as tooltypes without the - character).

Also, songs can be seeked (move in the song position) if the used plugin supports it. Generally taken all "streamed" formats (mpeg, flac, wav, etc) should be seekable, but "tracker" music isn't.

Quote:
(Unfortunately, on my (real) Amiga 1200 + 060, several formats do not play and freeze the UI/my Amiga: CDDA (all sub-formats), MPEG (all sub-formats), OctaMED MMD3, and OGG... The problems surely come from the libraries used to recognise and play these formats?)
It seems that some plugins are too heavy for real 68k CPUs, but they are still supported and work fine, for example, under WinUAE where you have more processing power. MPEG formats, OGG, FLAC etc do work properly under 68k version too if you have enough grunt under the hood. So, is it fair to keep them as red in your table, or is it purely comparison on one setup and not meant for general information? I guess the freezing is because of the task priorities, I think the system isn't crashed but just too under a load, so maybe it could be tuned to "freeze" less by playing with the priorities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Check the LIBS for old Hollywood libraries, I recommend to concentrate "all" Hollywood libraries in LIBS and delete those in RNOTunes folder, this applies to all Hoallywood programs.
This depends a bit how a program is coded/compiled. I have designed my programs so that they work best if you keep the provided plugins in the progdir... and hmm.. I think I complied 68k version of RNOTunes so that it doesn't look avcodec.hwp from libs: but only from progdir... to be able to remove it from use if it's too heavy (yet another story why I tried to make it possible... because I thought it'd fallback to mpega.library in that case for performance reasons, but it didn't work like that after all).
Old 28 November 2022, 16:21   #16
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV and AmigaSystem!

Thanks for your replies

I don't have any Hollywood libraries (AFAIK) except, if any, the ones provided with RNOTunes. I'll try again later with SnoopDOS running...

Regarding AHI, I had put "no" because I couldn't find anything about it in the doc. or the UI, maybe I missed something?

Regarding the "seek" functionality, it's possible in other players for other formats, like ProTracker in HippoPlayer.

For some formats, like MPEG ones, they play well with other players (like AmigaAMP or HippoPlayer) so my guess is that the libraries (?) used by RNOTunes are not optimised maybe?

Take care!
Old 28 November 2022, 16:50   #17
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
so far its played everything ive thrown at it including SID files, will a future update perhaps support .M3U files so we can play online music stations like Slay Radio?
.M3U is just a playlist format, which can point files from HDD or net streams, and I could add support for that for local files, but Internet streaming support isn't planned currently.

Quote:
Will there be a way to preview the different gfx images for the GUI?
Maybe...

Quote:
Great program, hoping to see future updates
Thanks!

Quote:
Regarding AHI, I had put "no" because I couldn't find anything about it in the doc. or the UI, maybe I missed something?
I forgot to mention about it, because I take AHI for granted (especially from NG point of view). I'll fix it in the next version.

Quote:
Regarding the "seek" functionality, it's possible in other players for other formats, like ProTracker in HippoPlayer.
Yeah they use dedicated player code and are mainly made for mods, but these generic plugins/libraries I use don't offer the functionality, at least yet.

Quote:
For some formats, like MPEG ones, they play well with other players (like AmigaAMP or HippoPlayer) so my guess is that the libraries (?) used by RNOTunes are not optimised maybe?
Yeah, mpegs and other similar formats are played with a plugin that is based on the mainstream FFMpeg library, which is heavier than Amiga optimised mpega.library, for example, but it supports many different formats that wouldn't be as easily available otherwise. I probably need to ask around if that plugin/library could be optimised at all for lower end machines.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:24   #18
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi jPV!

I ran RNOTunes with SnoopDOS and didn't see any obviously missing library, I attach the output of SnoopDOS (only Fail)

There was a surprising amount of GetVar codeset_default, in the thousands!, as well as a font with no name OpenFont FONTS:.font and OpenFont FONTS:.otag. The folder db was missing as well as some files but creating empty files solved the issues. I'm still missing db/lastfm_users.json: I tried creating an empty file but then RNOTunes open an error dialog and quits. What should this file contain at the minimum?

Do you see anything that could explain the issues that I reported above?

Take care!
Attached Files
File Type: txt SnoopDos.txt (14.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 29 November 2022, 07:50   #19
jPV

Quote:
The folder db was missing as well as some files but creating empty files solved the issues. I'm still missing db/lastfm_users.json: I tried creating an empty file but then RNOTunes open an error dialog and quits. What should this file contain at the minimum?
Nothing important in the SnoopDOS log except the last line of course. By default there isn't the "db" directory, but it is automatically created when saving your own configs (playlists, tune properties, playcounts...). There's one bug that I know and it's related to adding new Last.fm users in the statistics window. I forgot to handle the missing directory situation in there, but all you need is to have the "db" directory created manually or with any of the previously mentioned actions in the program.

I don't advice you to try to create any "missing" files manually. The program creates them automatically when needed. You can just create the "db" dir if you want to add Last.fm users before the dir has been created otherwise.

If you see these files accessed in the SnoopDOS log, it just means that program checks their availability, and goes with the default settings if they're not found. You're more likely to find more bugs if you create these files manually, even though I try to check the validity of the files when opening them.
Old 29 November 2022, 08:34   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

tygre your problem is due to the low power of your Amiga !!!

Try using your operating system with WinUAE 040/JIT/32 Z3Fast Ram (128 no hiccups).

I did some tests, under this configuration (8/16 MB Ram) audio formats FLAC, MPG etc.. will not work error (unknowunsupported)

Made a small video showing the above:

https://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-RNOTunes.zip