English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 October 2022, 20:38   #441
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
He uses Solas. He invented it
I knew that would be the answer, but I had forgotten the name of it again until I jumped on over to his website. Still hopefully it's enough to prompt him to spill the beans
Old 26 October 2022, 22:02   #442
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
@Daedalus how to you monitor the temperature?

Does your clockport gizmo allow you to monitor the cpu temp?
Yep, my Solas board is doing the monitoring. I have a sensor on the heatsink and it can also read the core temperature using the Therm pins. It uses those readings to control the fan speed too, and displays the temperatures on an LCD.
Old 28 October 2022, 12:18   #443
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, my Solas board is doing the monitoring. I have a sensor on the heatsink and it can also read the core temperature using the Therm pins. It uses those readings to control the fan speed too, and displays the temperatures on an LCD.
It's those features that attract me to the Solas board (Fan control/temperature reading.). It's a great little upgrade.

Not sure I'm ready for it just yet though.

I lazily set a half hacked up heat sink on the CPU the other night for a test. Hacked up as in I had begun to slope the fins, but still nowhere near short enough at the front. Pointed the little blower at it. Run Amiga at 100mhz played Duke Nukem for an hour or so. Checked the temperature with one of those gun thermometers for a rough idea. Said it was mid 30's. Wouldn't say that was mega accurate since by the time I lifted the case off and keyboard I'm sure some temperature drop occurred, but it might give me an idea of the effectiveness of a fan blowing onto the heat sink. The CPLD closest to the floppy power header was about 40°c and the one closest the floppy disk slow was about 31°c.

What are dangerous CPU temps for a 060?
Old 28 October 2022, 12:25   #444
Daedalus

The maximum core temperature is listed as 110 degrees C, though you really wouldn't want it anywhere near there for long. I got temperature readings from the core sensor (which isn't very accurate) of around 75 degrees before it started crashing. That corresponded to a chip surface temperature of around 60 degrees (without a heatsink but with the small fan blowing over it). A small heatsink (+ fan) brought those down to around 52 and 33 degrees respectively, and the large heatsink in the photo there (+ fan) brought them down again to about 45 and 30 degrees. So your figures aren't that far off.

The CPLDs will get very hot at high speeds, and I suspect the crashes are as much to do with them as the CPU itself. But if you're getting crashes, it's probably too hot and you should pull things back a bit.
Old 01 November 2022, 21:46   #445
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I’ve got a question regarding the IDE port of the TF1260. I want to use it as a secondary mass storage, so I’m not planning to burn custom kickstarts (got 3.2 atm). I have copied the ehide.device into devs and I have the loadmodule line in my startup-sequence. The hdtoolbox isn’t detecting it, though. Are there any restrictions to the storage/adapter/cable? I’ve got a 16 GB SD card connected to an SD-IDE adapter via a 40 cm cable.
Old 01 November 2022, 21:48   #446
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
I’ve got a question regarding the IDE port of the TF1260. I want to use it as a secondary mass storage, so I’m not planning to burn custom kickstarts (got 3.2 atm). I have copied the ehide.device into devs and I have the loadmodule line in my startup-sequence. The hdtoolbox isn’t detecting it, though. Are there any restrictions to the storage/adapter/cable? I’ve got a 16 GB SD card connected to an SD-IDE adapter via a 40 cm cable.
Check the tooltypes for HDToolbox - you likely need to set the correct device.
Old 01 November 2022, 22:16   #447
Chucky

40 cm cable is most likly very much too long. you need a buffered IDE cable for this.

technically,. the IDE is connected directly to the CPLDs, they are using 3.3V signalling while IDE is technically 5V. but as everything above 2.4V is a high signal. (think it is 2.4) it works. with a SHORT cable. but with too long. the voltage drops too much.
Old 02 November 2022, 15:14   #448
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
40 cm cable is most likly very much too long. you need a buffered IDE cable for this.

technically,. the IDE is connected directly to the CPLDs, they are using 3.3V signalling while IDE is technically 5V. but as everything above 2.4V is a high signal. (think it is 2.4) it works. with a SHORT cable. but with too long. the voltage drops too much.

Yeah, 5 cm is the maximum you can use on the unbuffered IDE.
Old 02 November 2022, 17:15   #449
wiz12

Does a Buffered IDE interface work on the TF1260?

https://amigastore.eu/en/882-25-buff...erface-.html#/
Old 04 November 2022, 15:44   #450
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post

This might be why I had some issues with the longer cable when using the TF onboard IDE.

The little device that wiz12 has posted, does this negate this type of problem?

https://amigastore.eu/en/882-25-buff...erface-.html#/
Old 04 November 2022, 15:52   #451
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The maximum core temperature is listed as 110 degrees C, though you really wouldn't want it anywhere near there for long. I got temperature readings from the core sensor (which isn't very accurate) of around 75 degrees before it started crashing. That corresponded to a chip surface temperature of around 60 degrees (without a heatsink but with the small fan blowing over it). A small heatsink (+ fan) brought those down to around 52 and 33 degrees respectively, and the large heatsink in the photo there (+ fan) brought them down again to about 45 and 30 degrees. So your figures aren't that far off.

The CPLDs will get very hot at high speeds, and I suspect the crashes are as much to do with them as the CPU itself. But if you're getting crashes, it's probably too hot and you should pull things back a bit.
I was thinking of making a heat sink using some of the 40x40mm heat sinks I have. I already have one that I had began fashioning to fit under the keyboard, but it needs a lot more fashioning. Then I thought perhaps I could attach another heat sink to its side using that special thermal adhesives you get to stick heat sinks to ic chips in order to make it even larger.

Good idea/ bad idea?
Old 04 November 2022, 16:15   #452
Marce
Banned

I recently purchased a TF1260 and I inserted a full 68040/40 mhz on it ,which I stripped from a MAc quadra 840 which I purchased it for just 50$
Old 04 November 2022, 16:17   #453
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
I recently purchased a TF1260 and I inserted a full 68040/40 mhz on it ,which I stripped from a MAc quadra 840 which I purchased it for just 50$

The 1260 won't work with a 68040, you need a 68060.
Old 04 November 2022, 16:17   #454
eXeler0

Tf1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I was thinking of making a heat sink using some of the 40x40mm heat sinks I have. I already have one that I had began fashioning to fit under the keyboard, but it needs a lot more fashioning. Then I thought perhaps I could attach another heat sink to its side using that special thermal adhesives you get to stick heat sinks to ic chips in order to make it even larger.

Good idea/ bad idea?

Not sure how effective heat transfer you’d get to that second heatsink. Maybe a fan would do more good. It gets pretty crowded in there.
Im currently not running any of the TF1260 at more than 50MHz so I dont have any coolers. On the Apollo 1260, Im running a rev 6 at 66 MHz with only a smallish heatsink and its been running just fine for years…
On the BFG9060 there more room for higher heatsinks and fans so Im currently experimenting with various combos of heatsinks and fans, but I intend to push that rev 6 to 100MHz so it will definitely need cooling.
Anyone with an opinion about what thermal compund is best for a ceramic cpu like the 060. Im guessing all modern compounds are designed to connect the metal shield on a cpu to a metal heatsink.
Old 04 November 2022, 16:24   #455
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
The 1260 won't work with a 68040, you need a 68060.
it works yes because I hacked the tf260 to work at 5v instead at 3.3v which the 060 runs
very easy mod btw
Old 04 November 2022, 16:27   #456
alenppc

Quote:
it works yes because I hacked the tf260 to work at 5v instead at 3.3v which the 060 runs
very easy mod btw

Well that's bizarre. BCLK is not wired on the 1260, it shouldn't work at all. Not to mention you are likely to kill the CPLD and the ram very quickly at 5V
Old 04 November 2022, 16:33   #457
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Well that's bizarre. BCLK is not wired on the 1260, it shouldn't work at all. Not to mention you are likely to kill the CPLD and the ram very quickly at 5V
the ram yet works at 3.3v , what now is working at 5v is the 040
I do not installed any rare software btw, just the 68040.library from wb3.1

30 mips on sysinfo,

mmu and fpu working correctly
040= fast and far better and compatible than the 060
Old 04 November 2022, 16:40   #458
alenppc

Quote:
the ram yet works at 3.3v , what now is working at 5v is the 040
I do not installed any rare software btw, just the 68040.library from wb3.1

30 mips on sysinfo,

mmu and fpu working correctly
040= fast and far better and compatible than the 060

How? Everything is on one power plane, and there are 25 power pins on the CPU.

Also keep in mind the ram data lines are not 5V tolerant so even if you somehow split the power planes you will eventually kill the ram.
Old 04 November 2022, 16:50   #459
Marce
Banned

Quote:
How? Everything is on one power plane, and there are 25 power pins on the CPU.

Also keep in mind the ram data lines are not 5V tolerant so even if you somehow split the power planes you will eventually kill the ram.
you have to cut the main cpu voltage line and connect it to a 5v point on the turboboard, that's all

I wonder why they didn't put a jumper , surely to limit user options and sell those LC060 crabs which they have for sale
Old 04 November 2022, 16:58   #460
alenppc

Quote:
you have to cut the main cpu voltage line and connect it to a 5v point on the turboboard, that's all

I wonder why they didn't put a jumper , surely to limit user options and sell those LC060 crabs which they have for sale

There isn't one line, it's a plane, and the cpu pins connect to them into the plane. There isn't any single lines you can cut. The 1260 is a pure 3.3V card.

Are you sure you have the TF1260 and not another 060 card?

Also nobody has any "crabs" for sale other than the Chinese suppliers, and I can assure you they had nothing to do with the 1260 design. People are using the LC060 because it's not possible to find the full 060s and by the way, they work fantastic and clock to 100 Mhz. They respect the spec and are genuine 3.3V CPUs.

So either you are full of s**t or you have a different card or you got insanely lucky by feeding a 5V line into the plane which will raise the voltage to 4.2V to the whole board and assure its very quick death.