English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 March 2022, 02:56   #21
ransom1122

I played and finished Dungeon Master as a youngster back in the late 80's. All I can say is that Dungeon Master not only is my most favourite RPG but has remained my all time favourite game on the Amiga.

It is the godfather of all Dungeon Crawlers.

If you feel overwhelmed as a newbie I still recommend playing it for the experience, there's more help online nowdays with maps, spell lists etc. Back in the day, I would sequentially try spells via trial and error until one worked. I recall discovering undocumented spells myself which now can be found here https://hol.abime.net/441/cheatcode
Old 01 March 2022, 02:58   #22
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Dungeon Master is indeed fine for beginners. The only true annoyance is that the spell description scrolls don't show the runes.
Old 01 March 2022, 05:23   #23
Valken

Eye of the Beholder 1 AGA version. I think it is EASIER than Dungeon Master, but I grew up with Ultima and Wizardry as my first RPG experiences.

I would play EoB 1, 2 and 3, then move to Dungeon Master series, then to Ultima and Wizardry.

You can play the English patched Super Famicom Wizardry 1-4 versions for updated graphics actually as I have never seen anyone port it to the Amiga yet.

From here, I would consider SciFi such as Captive, Abandon Places and Amber series and Ishar Series.

The new Dawn Series of RPG is great for SciFi! Play some creepy Alien soundtrack in the background for better immersion!
Old 01 March 2022, 14:53   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
If you feel overwhelmed as a newbie I still recommend playing it for the experience, there's more help online nowdays with maps, spell lists etc.
Exactly this. There is absolutely nothing holding you back to play that game today. Just get a good guide for the magic system and off you pop.

I did not recommend Captive because that game may start off tame, it ramps up quite quickly and it is actually quite rich in the gameplay department with many weapons and gadgets to use. Black Crypt and Crystal Dragon are probably more accessible.
Old 02 March 2022, 21:58   #25
macce2
Retro maniac

I would like to recommend Ultima 6.
Old 02 March 2022, 22:59   #26
desiv

Quote:
It is the godfather of all Dungeon Crawlers.
Kids... ;-)

It was a very nice dungeon crawler, tho some of us had been playing dungeon crawlers (some very good ones) for years before Dungeon Master.
It was a perfect match for a mouse based era tho!
Old 03 March 2022, 02:11   #27
Lord Riton

Captive or Black Crypt are very beginner friendly, and feel more modern than DM.
Old 03 March 2022, 11:00   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think this thread proves only one thing and that is that difficulty is a very personal opinion
Old 04 March 2022, 02:59   #29
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Indeed, i started to play more RPG on the PS1 with FF7 and i remember on Amiga my experiences were not good (tried Shadowlands but was not amused, did not click for me)
Old 04 March 2022, 09:35   #30
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
See if Bard's Tale / Legend of Faerghail or Abandoned Places is your thing. When you get bored (and you will eventually), sit back and play some Vagrant Story or some Baldur's Gate II.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 04 March 2022 at 09:58.
Old 04 March 2022, 13:11   #31
dreadnought

Since this thread has turned into "you should play my favourite RPG" instead of what OP was asking for nearly instantly, let me recommend Rogue, Wizardry 6 and Fate: Gates Of Dawn.

Great games, and when using rationalizations emplyed here so far they are also totally "beginner friendly"
Old 04 March 2022, 17:34   #32
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
See if Bard's Tale / Legend of Faerghail or Abandoned Places is your thing. When you get bored (and you will eventually), sit back and play some Vagrant Story or some Baldur's Gate II.
Darn Vagrant story! Those chain hits are a PITA to make properly but the real only way to progress past the first serious boss -_-
Old 04 March 2022, 18:31   #33
EctoOne

Quote:
I recall discovering undocumented spells myself which now can be found here https://hol.abime.net/441/cheatcode
Huh, what version was used to make that list? Since I recently played through meynafs version of DM I strongly remember that at least the ZO and DES EW spell can be found relatively close to a location/enemy where you need them. And if I remember correctly that already was the case when I played it as a kid.

What a friend and I did to remember the spells, was to covert the runes into numbers. So LO FUL IR (weak fireball) was 144 or 644 for the strongest fireball.
Old 08 March 2022, 16:56   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think most of us did the numbering trick Essentially you only have to remember the last digits since the first one is always the strength. I love the Dungeon Master spell system. More than clicking a button and not as cumbersome as having to drag stuff around.
Old 09 March 2022, 09:15   #35
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I never had the patience for rpg’s as a kid, but it was FF7 that got me into the genre, like a lot of people. Are there any good jrpg’s on the Amiga platform?