English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 31 January 2022, 13:12   #261
Pyrdacor

I also just released updates for the Amiga version in both languages here: https://github.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon

It includes the mentioned crash fix and some text corrections. I also published the updated ADF disk images. More info can be found in the readme.

The crash fix and cause is described in more detail here: https://github.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon/issues/22

Have fun!
Old 31 January 2022, 16:43   #262
Pyrdacor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophesore View Post
I also have a question where you can get Magical Map - while browsing the AM2_BLIT file I found this name and it probably has the infinite Mystical Mapping charm.
Regarding the magical map I can now at least say that the associated spell function is not implemented in code. It is just an empty function which does nothing but a single RTS (return from sub-routine).

So I assume the item was never fully added. The item data is there and even a spell which is only used by that item, but as mentioned the spell function is empty and I am quite sure the item can not be obtained in the game.
Old 10 February 2022, 11:51   #263
Pyrdacor

I started to implement a tool to translate Ambermoon to different languages. With only German and English available, I think it's time for French, Polish, Spanish and so on.

The tool will allow translating all texts including those of the executables which includes the intro and outro.

It will support versioning so you can continue translating or fixing texts at any time.

It will also support editing the font glyphs so you can add special glyphs you need for your language. But it will be limited to 256 characters (223 printable ones).

The tool will show context like character info for NPCs so you can see the connection of the texts to the game better.

The plan is to patch the English or German Base version so that only one or two versions can be bugfixed and the translations can be re-applied. Otherwise we would have to fix every language.

I develop the tool with a nice Ambermoon-ish UI which is cross platform and will be open source again. So you can contribute and use it on Windows, Mac or Linux.

Here are some images of the first prototype:

Old 10 February 2022, 16:08   #264
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Very cool.

With @dlfrsilver having gone quiet I'm happy to rip all the French text from all his files and inject them into the latest English versions to get them to the same patch level.

I had a go and you can do *_texts.amb automagically with a script and your tools.

*_data.amb is harder with current tools. Requires manual interaction on each file. Too time consuming.

AM2_BLIT/AM2_CPU even harder.

It might be easier to patch the dlfrsilver's French versions of these two binaries to the same level as the latest English version rather than the other way around.
Old 10 February 2022, 18:56   #265
Pyrdacor

You can just start with the current french version (or partial version). The tool will add it as the base version. Then you will be able to apply all the texts to every version you want. So you could patch the most recent English game version with the french texts and you won't have to do any manual copy and paste.

I will do the same with the German version. Then I only have to Bugfix the English version and can just add the German texts to it to create the German version.

But of course I will need a bit time until everything works as intended.
Old 10 February 2022, 19:08   #266
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Very cool.

With @dlfrsilver having gone quiet I'm happy to rip all the French text from all his files and inject them into the latest English versions to get them to the same patch level.

I had a go and you can do *_texts.amb automagically with a script and your tools.

*_data.amb is harder with current tools. Requires manual interaction on each file. Too time consuming.

AM2_BLIT/AM2_CPU even harder.

It might be easier to patch the dlfrsilver's French versions of these two binaries to the same level as the latest English version rather than the other way around.
Hello, i indeed lack time actually, so feel free to export what i translated.

The main problem are the texts inside the main program (there's quite a bit of those to translate and inject).
Old 11 February 2022, 13:06   #267
Pyrdacor

Luckily there is the RELOC32 hunk which stores the offsets to the address references into the data hunk. This way I can automatically read the address references and adjust them after translation to match the text offsets. This way it is easy to extract and re-integrate all the texts of the executables. You only need the offset of the begin of texts in the data hunk (which doesn't change for any language) and then a tool can do the rest.
Old 11 February 2022, 13:19   #268
Pyrdacor

The cool thing about this approach is, that you can patch any game version with your own translations as the Reloc32 hunk is always the same, at least for references into the data hunk. And it will even work with code changes unless you add complete new texts in-between the texts in the data hunk, which nobody will I guess.
Old 28 February 2022, 21:24   #269
Pyrdacor

Ambermoon.net 1.5 is out now. You can download it at https://github.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net.