English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 28 January 2022, 02:10   #1761
griffon

Changing the panel gap to double or triple doesn't seem to change anything.
Also, it's not like some parts of the copperlist are processed, and some aren't. No artifact or stuff like that. It just looks like it has been temporarily and completely turned off. The first visible "altered" copperline is simply absent. And reappears without glitches as soon the overlay top panel is closed, like it nothing ever happened. It's so clockwork than I thought it was by design
Oh and if the overlay talk panel is changed to bottom talk panel, everything works normally.
Old 28 January 2022, 06:08   #1762
earok

Hmm.. if you've got a line on the spreadsheet configured at 0, maybe try it at 1? There's a few copper operations that happen on at line 0, so it might work better at line 1.

---

Just a heads up, I'm going to be on and off the stream quite often this weekend as part of the Global Game Jam. I'm not totally sure what I'll be working on, probably a mix of old and new projects and I'm tentatively planning to port an original Pico-8 game made for the Jam, but if you've got any suggestions for stream do let me know.
Old 28 January 2022, 08:07   #1763
earok

Just about to go on stream - http://twitch.tv/earok - to work on a PICO-8 conversion, but did a last minute experimental check in:

- Fixes issue where animation OnFinish was being stored in the project file rather than the individual animations
- Fixes issue with large objects moving up and down steep slopes (and getting stuck)
- Some minor improvements to compiler speed
Old 28 January 2022, 14:38   #1764
acidbottle

Thanks for these streams earok, was a bit gutted to miss yesterdays for sure!

The fairy bug is a thing of the past, which was fantastic. I do have some .. issues. Anyone having camerabox probelsm in the latest build or just me?

loads of stunning pico 8 games to port, pretty sure I seen a starfox game on one video, that would be neat!
Old 28 January 2022, 15:12   #1765
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
did a last minute experimental check in:

- Fixes issue where animation OnFinish was being stored in the project file rather than the individual animations
- Fixes issue with large objects moving up and down steep slopes (and getting stuck)
- Some minor improvements to compiler speed

This seems to have broken setting X/Y speed and pushing X/Y. My egg no longer pops in to air on spawn, it pushes only one way, I no longer bounce off enemies and they don't jump. Oopsie.
Old 28 January 2022, 17:18   #1766
earok

Embarrassingly enough, that experimental update broke expressions that had negative numbers at the start. Whoops.

Latest experimental should fix all reported issues with push, camera box etc..
Old 28 January 2022, 21:33   #1767
acidbottle

Working like a charm earok, was a speedy fix
Old 28 January 2022, 23:51   #1768
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Embarrassingly enough, that experimental update broke expressions that had negative numbers at the start. Whoops.

Latest experimental should fix all reported issues with push, camera box etc..

Fixes those New weird issue that only shows after making an adf (not during RunInWinUAE), the screen doesn't pan correct amount moving vertically between screens (I move camera to Player_Y / YRes * YRes).
Old 29 January 2022, 02:05   #1769
earok

Cheers guys

---

Latest check in:
- Duckstroma on ADF bug should be fixed (bug with 68K generation). This may have caused a bunch of other random issues I couldn't explain while on stream earlier.
- Set actor has a new option. Complementing the existing "reset movement" option, there's now a "reset animation" option which forces the animation to reset (as opposed to playing a manually triggered animation and attempting to "tween" between animations with an identical number of frames). It's on by default.
Old 29 January 2022, 09:46   #1770
earok

I think I'll skip streaming (maybe I'll do one in my morning, another 10-12 hours or so) but I did do one major new feature to experimental: Save and Load support. It's not extensively tested but does seem to work.

It's a little complex as you might imagine, so I've updated the dialogue sample in Experimental to save and load data from disk. Basically, how it works is:
  • You can save all of the variables in a single codeblock to a file (so you may want to have a codeblock called "SaveGame" that has no code, just variables for example).
  • There's a new Data category of command (only with Save and Load, though there's other Data features planned)
  • You have an infinite number of save slots (so you can save your "SaveGame" code block multiple times if you allowed your user to have multiple save files)
  • You can check a Saved or Loaded variable to see if the save was actually successful.

So you can do this, for example:

Code:
Save codeblock "savegame" to slot 0 (saves to file "savedata/savegame.000")
If Saved
;Save was successful
else
;Save was not successful. Disk full etc?
endif
Code:
Load codeblock "savegame" from slot 0 (loads from file "savdedata/savegame.000")
If Loaded
;Load was successful
else
;Load was not successful. Never saved to that slot before?
endif
Further notes:
  • It may not work right if you change your SaveGame codeblock later (such as adding, removing or reordering variables), and then try to load an old save file. You'll need to take care of save file version management yourself (probably just making sure that you always delete old saves would be enough).
  • Obviously this won't work as-is on CD32, though I'm familiar with how NVRAM works so CD32 will be supported in a future update.
Old 29 January 2022, 12:27   #1771
griffon

Woot! awesome update Earok!

THIS is gonna be a game changer for some genres of games!
Old 29 January 2022, 12:55   #1772
Mixel

Itshappening.gif!

That's great news. I'm SO close to being able to switch away from Tyrannobuilder to Scorpion for the visual novel/s. Really excited about that. I'm integrating a single save slot into the password room now, too, so cool!
Old 29 January 2022, 17:24   #1773
UltraNarwhal

For anyone that has mapped CD32 pad Pause/Rwnd/Ffw to commands many builds ago and discovered they don't work, delete them and make new command to fix it.
Old 30 January 2022, 00:14   #1774
earok

cheers guys!

@Ultranarwhal Thanks for letting me know, I'm not quite sure why that was, but glad it's working after recreating them.

Was meant to do a stream today but I left it a bit too late. I did do another fairly minor check in to experimental that should nonetheless be useful on AGA only games - panels now correctly support 64/128/256 color modes. (I did one other change to panels, I turned off sprites since they weren't used on panels anyway, but if for some reason it has a weird effect on sprites within the game display please let me know).
Old 30 January 2022, 04:11   #1775
earok

Did another experimental update: a few improvements for the palette cruncher.

1) When crunching down to OCS, ST/Mega Drive or Master System color depth, the colors are rendered as RRGGBB rather than R0G0B0 (which is to say, colors will look identical in editor and in AGA modes to the game running in OCS mode)

2) Added option to crunch down to a maximum number of colors by merging colors that are most similar (using the ciede2000 color model). In the sample below, there were around 80~ colors left in the palette before I forced it to exactly 32.

Fairly happy with the results. Here's Jazz Jackrabbit running in 32 colors / 4bit color mode.

---

Edit: Did a couple more fixes today (one was to do with bottom panels, the other was to fix the reported issue with being able to save)

Last edited by earok; 30 January 2022 at 11:44.
Old 30 January 2022, 13:26   #1776
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Did another experimental update: a few improvements for the palette cruncher.

Edit: Did a couple more fixes today (one was to do with bottom panels, the other was to fix the reported issue with being able to save)
I noticed the bottom panel now corrupts if a sprite gets close to it, pixels touching it wipe or draw over.
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_corrupt.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	74572
Old 30 January 2022, 15:14   #1777
Mixel

Yup panel graphics are freaking out all over the game here. [ Show youtube player ] orange and yellow things popping up..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-30 141018.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	74573

The save thing is still behaving weird.. the lright hand (load) candle displays the "load failed, oh no!" message i set up, but the save candle freezes the game. I wonder if its file permissions or something? i could try it on my real amiga and see if it works there..? Will do that now.

edit: Interesting! On my real A1200 it doesn't crash when you try to save, but it does bring up the "save failed, oh no!" message i made.. so that's progress.. I wonder what's different between writing to disk in WinUAE and on my Amiga, hmm.

Last edited by Mixel; 30 January 2022 at 16:13.
Old 30 January 2022, 17:37   #1778
earok

Minor check in, reverted change made to panels re: sprites.

@Mixel I couldn't say for sure but it does seem you've got it as read only on your WinUAE configurations (check CD and Hard Drives, double click path). Do you have the savedata folder in the game folder on your real A1200? If so, is there anything in there at all?

I've made a note to look at using the kickstart functions rather than the Blitz functions, just incase that's less prone to crash on read only filesystems.
Old 30 January 2022, 18:54   #1779
Mixel

Quote:
@Mixel I couldn't say for sure but it does seem you've got it as read only on your WinUAE configurations (check CD and Hard Drives, double click path).
Aha! I toggled that and it's saving correctly now, great! TY!

Quote:
Do you have the savedata folder in the game folder on your real A1200? If so, is there anything in there at all?
There's no savedata folder on the real A1200, I could try manually creating one...

ed: Just tried that! It says it saved when I manually made the folder, woo! it's reporting the correct player level too, it looks like it's all working! Awesome!

Last edited by Mixel; 30 January 2022 at 19:06.
Old 31 January 2022, 11:52   #1780
earok

@Mixel great!

---

Daily check in:

1) New splash screen by Tsak!

2) In order to support the new splash screen, panels now support copper rainbows (as many colors as you want). I still need to figure out some things with the editor interface, but in general:

- Just set the first color (eg, if you want to alter color 2 onwards, set 2 in the editor)
- Click the edit copper button
- This will ask you how many colors in total you want to change, and generate a PNG file you can edit to make the copper rainbow (generally similar to editing the palette on parallax)

Changes here were fairly major so please let me know if there's anything clearly broken