English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 December 2021, 11:14   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I must admit I have never played the Amiga version, only the C64 version (which unfortunately lacked the sense of speed). I am bloody impressed by the sound. I always wondered how they did engine sounds back in the day. A lot of games synthesise it I think but Super Hang On seems to use samples to great effect.
Old 16 December 2021, 11:32   #22
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I enjoyed this title quite abit back in the day. The game really conveyed a great sense of speed, and the graphics were both pretty and colourful.
Old 16 December 2021, 11:38   #23
DisasterIncarna

didnt even know the amiga had a version, i only played the c64 version.
Old 16 December 2021, 13:37   #24
haps
Rumpig

Super Hang On was kick arse on the Amiga. Spent hours playing it.

Don't know what rabidgerry is on about, never saw anyone having steering problems. When we would run game comps at our computer club, Super Hang On was always in the mix because everyone enjoyed it, even the youngest kids could play it with no trouble.
Old 16 December 2021, 13:51   #25
S0ulA55a551n

perhaps we need a video just showing rabidgerry's bad gameplay
Old 16 December 2021, 15:10   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I guess they play racing games like I always played racing games; hit the gas and never let go again

The only game where I did not do that was Super Monaco GP because that game immediately punishes you for it with an epic game over crash.
Old 16 December 2021, 16:35   #27
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
perhaps we need a video just showing rabidgerry's bad gameplay

I'd guess he had it in mouse mode and was trying to use the controller maybe? Perhaps it does not check the port.
Old 16 December 2021, 20:13   #28
capehorn

The cheat mode allows you to adjust the steering - at one extreme you can make it so that you make every corner, even if you are only driving straight ahead, at the other every corner is very challenging. Maybe that's what he is remembering?
Old 16 December 2021, 20:38   #29
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
didnt even know the amiga had a version, i only played the c64 version.
My Kudos to be able actually to play that -_- That -er - thing need a complete remake indeed

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 December 2021, 20:55   #30
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I'd guess he had it in mouse mode and was trying to use the controller maybe? Perhaps it does not check the port.

Actually no that is not the case. Although for the longest while I could not select the joystick option and was playing with keys. What I thought When I finally figured out how to select a controller other than keys I thought "great I can play this game now" and I was wrong. Still can't turn some corners no matter how slow you go.

Lets put it this way, I don't have the same issues with Road Rash when I play that.

I just looked up a video from a year ago when I left a comment on a Super Hang On upload. I complained about the same thing then and someone commented back that
Quote:
1st you need to remember the hard corners
2nd taking the hard corners is easier if you are faster for some reason, at full speed the corners feel shorter
As for racing games in general, I'd say I'm pretty good at them (Indy 500, F1GP, SuperCars, Stuntcar Racer, Skidmarks etc), so shit game playing for Super Hang On or not it frustrated me so much trying to get round corners that I gave up on this one. May be it's a knack you guys all have but so far I can't figure out why trying to turn some corners you just keep veering off to the side and hitting signs and shit and then of course running out of time.
Old 16 December 2021, 22:43   #31
Wepl

One of my favorite games!
Old 17 December 2021, 00:40   #32
desiv

Yep, love this game.
And the mouse control makes this game for me...
I've have people tell me that prefer a joystick with this, but I don't see how that is possible. ;-)
The subtle control from the mouse makes this game for me!
Old 17 December 2021, 01:00   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Lets put it this way, I don't have the same issues with Road Rash when I play that.
No wonder, that game makes you drive in turtle mode so it is easier to knock other players off of their bike Which is an excellent feature all in itself and why I love that game. There is not enough violence in racing games.
Old 17 December 2021, 09:28   #34
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
I just know when I play the game you get to some corners and you may as well not be trying to turn no matter how slow you go.
The physics of steering a motorcycle are quite complex - it's not just a matter of turning the handlebars. The game has a simplified steering algorithm that is optimized for easy control at high speed. It doesn't work any better at slow speed because it doesn't simulate the different riding technique required to get a tight turn (motorcycles generally have a very wide turning radius that can be tightened by tilting the bike over in the turning direction while leaning in the opposite direction. This is quite different to high speed turning where you lean into the turn and countersteer in the opposite direction).

And that's OK, because if you are going that slow you will never win the race. The answer to negotiating tight corners is to enter them on the right line and at the right speed. If you screw that up you won't make the turn, same as you probably wouldn't on a real bike.
Old 17 December 2021, 17:45   #35
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
And that's OK, because if you are going that slow you will never win the race. The answer to negotiating tight corners is to enter them on the right line and at the right speed. If you screw that up you won't make the turn, same as you probably wouldn't on a real bike.
My tactic was to drop gas once the curve was in sight, then accelerate on exit but some SHO tight curves like the Africa Stage infamous one did require almost a full stop else you will have an airborne view of african wildlife...
Old 17 December 2021, 19:26   #36
freehand

"No second prize" was one of my favs.
Old 22 December 2021, 18:30   #37
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
No wonder, that game makes you drive in turtle mode so it is easier to knock other players off of their bike Which is an excellent feature all in itself and why I love that game. There is not enough violence in racing games.
Yes there is nothing better than clubbing some bastard on the back and knocking them off his/her motorbike. I feel guilty for enjoying this

But no you can speed on if you want and turn corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
My tactic was to drop gas once the curve was in sight, then accelerate on exit but some SHO tight curves like the Africa Stage infamous one did require almost a full stop else you will have an airborne view of african wildlife...
Worth a shot I suppose (for me to try I mean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
"No second prize" was one of my favs.
Yeah well even though that's hard also (I hate mice games unless they are point and click) it's a fantastic game and light years better than Super Hang-on. It feels so fast to play as well. I picked that up free on the cover of a magazine back in the day. Was it on "The One"? Anyways it crashed on my A500 after a while. I must re visit this game again when I have a decent desk to place my mouse on and have optimal control over it.
Old 22 December 2021, 19:35   #38
freehand

Quote:
Yes there is nothing better than clubbing some bastard on the back and knocking them off his/her motorbike. I feel guilty for enjoying this

But no you can speed on if you want and turn corners

Worth a shot I suppose (for me to try I mean).

Yeah well even though that's hard also (I hate mice games unless they are point and click) it's a fantastic game and light years better than Super Hang-on. It feels so fast to play as well. I picked that up free on the cover of a magazine back in the day. Was it on "The One"? Anyways it crashed on my A500 after a while. I must re visit this game again when I have a decent desk to place my mouse on and have optimal control over it.
I have been playing for the last week No second prize beats super hang on in every way and when you become good it is surprising how tense when near the front runners.
Old 22 December 2021, 19:40   #39
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
I have been playing for the last week No second prize beats super hang on in every way and when you become good it is surprising how tense when near the front runners.
So back in the 90s when I actually did get good at it using a goddam tank mouse (that was in need of a good clean inside) I do remember the thrill of climbing up the grid and then hanging on for dear life to win a race. Sometimes nerves got the better of me and my wrist would stiffen and I just lose it going round a corner!!! Ahhhh good game I wonder what it would be like with an analogue controller? I tried F1GP with one!! World of pain
Old 22 December 2021, 20:37   #40
Gordon
Settler

It’s ironic that no second prize gets second place in the best motorbike racing game on the Amiga.