English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 July 2021, 20:42   #181
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I think I know what happened here. At one point I changed some engine limits to reduce the memory usage, which apparently broke the saves. I could have sworn I did the before the first public test version, but apparently not. Maybe I'm getting senile
Anyway, there's probably no way to automatically fix this as the saves use variable sized compressed records, but in the worst case I can make a tool to convert old saves. Sorry about this mess, I have no idea how this slipped through
Old 07 July 2021, 06:41   #182
Aardvark

The original CD version used CD-DA for music. It would be nice to have this option here as well.
Old 07 July 2021, 06:50   #183
BSzili
old chunk of coal

You mean playing the audio from the actual discs? The problem is that most people don't have a CD drive in their Amiga, and even those who do don't have the analog audio output from the drive mixed in with the Paula audio. You can play back CD audio digitally by reading data and feeding the samples to Paula, but this would need downsampling, so most people would end up with the audio quality as the WAV files but the playback would be more CPU intensive.
That being said, if someone sends me a patch for actual CD audio playback in JFAudioLib, I'll be happy to merge it, but personally it's rather invest time into implement something that more people (including me ) can use.
Old 13 October 2021, 15:05   #184
mateusz_s

Hi @BSzili, thanks for your ports,
I tried SW on V1200 with RTG, runs super fast.
Where should I put the wav music files? in MUSIC folder?
After exiting the game I got messages in console that wav files didnt load.

ps.
Could you do port of Duke3D? I now that already is one for RTG but I founs it a bit less efficient than Blood or ShadowWarrior..
Old 13 October 2021, 18:24   #185
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Simply put the WAV files next to the executable, no need to create any subdirectories. I'll add this detail to the readme to avoid confusion.
For Duke3D there are currently two ports, the original one by Dante/Oxyron (which also has an 060 enhanced version by Cosmos), and AmiDuke by NovaCoder. There's also the 68k Mac version, which people use as a baseline for performance. I don't really have the motivation to make yet another Duke3D port, unless I make some breakthrough and at least match it in speed. I recommend trying it in ShapeShifter, people say it's the fastest.
Old 22 October 2021, 17:36   #186
utri007
mä vaan

BSzili's work in progress version of Shadow warrior is über fast.

FPS gets over 20 most of the time and some places it gets high as 30.

[ Show youtube player ]

Also network game works with it.!

Last edited by utri007; 22 October 2021 at 17:54.
Old 22 October 2021, 18:31   #187
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
BSzili's work in progress version of Shadow warrior is über fast.

FPS gets over 20 most of the time and some places it gets high as 30.

[ Show youtube player ]

Also network game works with it.!
Ohhhhhh I can't wait!!! That's amazing.

What setup have you got @utri007?

I would Love DukeNukem done like this then I could have the CD32 pad to use!!
Old 22 October 2021, 19:06   #188
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post

Video is made with my Apollo 68060 80mhz accelerated Amiga 1200.

This is upgraded version of 68040 accelerator, so it was originally 68040 40mhz. So 68060 CPU runs 80mhz and ram 40mhz. Wich makes me little curious, how well this would perform with this card original CPU? What is actual minium for this game?

BSzili's ports are really top quality. All the features are there and speed is good. http://bszili.morphos.me/ I have donated him regularly, because I have actually played these port and they are pro quality.
Old 22 October 2021, 21:56   #189
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:

While Build is still not exactly where I'd like it to be in terms of performance, I'm now seriously considering a port based on JFDuke3D. If nothing else at least there would be a port which has multiplayer support.
Old 22 October 2021, 22:58   #190
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
While Build is still not exactly where I'd like it to be in terms of performance, I'm now seriously considering a port based on JFDuke3D. If nothing else at least there would be a port which has multiplayer support.
We use to play Duke 3D in school's LAN when it arrived. That was really something that time.

Great to hear.
Old 23 October 2021, 13:30   #191
rabidgerry

Quote:
Video is made with my Apollo 68060 80mhz accelerated Amiga 1200.

This is upgraded version of 68040 accelerator, so it was originally 68040 40mhz. So 68060 CPU runs 80mhz and ram 40mhz. Wich makes me little curious, how well this would perform with this card original CPU? What is actual minium for this game?

BSzili's ports are really top quality. All the features are there and speed is good. http://bszili.morphos.me/ I have donated him regularly, because I have actually played these port and they are pro quality.
Same as me! I got Apollo 68060 80mhz. It was originally a 1240 but upgraded as you say. Just wish the dam RTC would work but anyways This is too good, can't wait to get playing again.

Yes I feel a donation coming on! You are right. Totally spoilt with his stuff. That goes for all the guys doing this kind of work, spoiling us Amiga fans with so much more games.

Quote:
Wow! That would be excellent. I dunno the JFDuke3d specifically though. I love the Novacoder version but for me I am shit at playing games with a lot of keys so it's never been a control method I am fond off. Same for Genetic Species, no CD32. Even Breathless has bare minimum CD32 functionality. Anyways getting off topic.

Quote:
We use to play Duke 3D in school's LAN when it arrived. That was really something that time.

Great to hear.
I've never played any of these games over a network before. I reckon it would be a lot of fun!
Old 23 October 2021, 17:25   #192
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Yes I feel a donation coming on! You are right. Totally spoilt with his stuff. That goes for all the guys doing this kind of work, spoiling us Amiga fans with so much more games.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Wow! That would be excellent. I dunno the JFDuke3d specifically though. I love the Novacoder version but for me I am shit at playing games with a lot of keys so it's never been a control method I am fond off. Same for Genetic Species, no CD32. Even Breathless has bare minimum CD32 functionality. Anyways getting off topic.
Don't worry about it, JFDuke3D has presets for the classic and modern controls. It will also inherit the features I implemented for other Build games, e.g. CD32 and PSX pad support.
Old 24 October 2021, 13:05   #193
rabidgerry

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

Don't worry about it, JFDuke3D has presets for the classic and modern controls. It will also inherit the features I implemented for other Build games, e.g. CD32 and PSX pad support.
Well those controls work great, anything but the keyboard

And no problem. Thanks for all this great work
Old 29 October 2021, 07:54   #194
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The new version is now available on Aminet, link in the first post.
The changes include CAMD MIDI support for the Shareware version, MHI MP3 playback for the Registered version, TCP/IP multiplayer up to 8 players, Playstation controller support via PSXPort icluding the analog sticks, and of course better performance.
The next goal will be to increase the minimum FPS, which will require a closer look at the game code itself.
Old 29 October 2021, 14:55   #195
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
The next goal will be to increase the minimum FPS, which will require a closer look at the game code itself.
SW start to be really fast already, so I would be curious how it would perform with 40mhz 68040 accelerator with own memory.

With 68060 80mhz, fps is all the time 14 - 30. It seems to be faster than Doom.
Old 29 October 2021, 17:04   #196
Valken

Thank you BSzili!
Old 29 October 2021, 17:16   #197
rabidgerry

Oh jesus!! YES! Downloaded!

Again thank you BSzili!
Old 29 October 2021, 19:48   #198
vulture

Thanks for the update BSzili ;-)

However I can't get Midi to work...

My sound settings are as follows; same as "Blood":

[Sound Setup]
FXDevice = 8
MusicDevice = 0
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 8
MixRate = 22030
FXVolume = 192
MusicVolume = 128
ReverseStereo = 1
OggTrackName = "track??.wav"

I've also tried removing the line: OggTrackName = "track??.wav"

Attached are my .CFG and .LOG files.

Does Midi work with the registered version?
Attached Files
File Type: zip sw.zip (2.5 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by vulture; 29 October 2021 at 21:12.
Old 29 October 2021, 20:32   #199
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Unfortunately no, the Registered version of SW only had CD music. The MIDI songs are exclusive to the Shareware version.
Old 29 October 2021, 21:11   #200
vulture

Ah! Thx!