English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 June 2021, 14:08   #1
Paulee_Bow

Very strange A1200 issues

I have acquired a newly recapped A1200 1D4, and have added a CF2IDE with ribbon cable, and a TF1260. I am using an aftermarket new power supply from eBay which has powered my A500+ TF536 system happily for a year or so. The timing fixes that plague this board (2 small parts removed i believe?) have also been performed.

My CF install has been tested with another person who has the exact same setup, and he has had none of the issues I have, here they are:

- Workbench boots, lovely background image, all icons fine, the system appears to be perfect.
- I run a game, say Aladdin, after the little splash screen, the system hangs on a black screen, other WhdLoad games report issues with the Kickstart files I have installed, again, my friend doesn't have these errors. Games fair no better when I try to start them from the shell.
- Octamed Soundstudio, which runs fine on my A500+ and his A1200 TF1260, spends about 5 seconds gobbling over 100MB of Fast Ram (I can see it rapidly go down) and then crashes with a suspend or reboot error.

Baffling. It's like anything that uses Fast Ram goes off a cliff edge?

Before I send off the motherboard and card to someone (who hopefully has their own TF1260's to test) I have been told to run Amiga Test Kit, so I will do this early next week.

Anything else I can try? I've already tried 3 different CF cards (including one known good one), perhaps a different IDE cable or CF adapter. Let me know any ideas, I will try them.

Gutted to have another haunted system, I'd emotionally prefer Amigas either to not boot at all, or work 100%, chasing down weird small issues is frustrating.

Oh well, at least there are a lot of people around to help
Old 11 June 2021, 17:43   #2
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
Could very well be an issue with the Fast RAM.
Old 11 June 2021, 17:57   #3
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yeah the RAM is where I would start. I had issues with my OG accelerator for my 1200 which turned out to be ram. I was getting similar issues to you. Freeze ups, and locks at erratic points.I was able to buy a second hand replacement on ebay for a few quid and it sorted it out.

If you are not running the TF, how does the system perform?
Old 11 June 2021, 18:49   #4
GadgetUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I have acquired a newly recapped A1200 1D4, and have added a CF2IDE with ribbon cable, and a TF1260. I am using an aftermarket new power supply from eBay which has powered my A500+ TF536 system happily for a year or so. The timing fixes that plague this board (2 small parts removed i believe?) have also been performed.

My CF install has been tested with another person who has the exact same setup, and he has had none of the issues I have, here they are:

- Workbench boots, lovely background image, all icons fine, the system appears to be perfect.
- I run a game, say Aladdin, after the little splash screen, the system hangs on a black screen, other WhdLoad games report issues with the Kickstart files I have installed, again, my friend doesn't have these errors. Games fair no better when I try to start them from the shell.
- Octamed Soundstudio, which runs fine on my A500+ and his A1200 TF1260, spends about 5 seconds gobbling over 100MB of Fast Ram (I can see it rapidly go down) and then crashes with a suspend or reboot error.

Baffling. It's like anything that uses Fast Ram goes off a cliff edge?

Before I send off the motherboard and card to someone (who hopefully has their own TF1260's to test) I have been told to run Amiga Test Kit, so I will do this early next week.

Anything else I can try? I've already tried 3 different CF cards (including one known good one), perhaps a different IDE cable or CF adapter. Let me know any ideas, I will try them.

Gutted to have another haunted system, I'd emotionally prefer Amigas either to not boot at all, or work 100%, chasing down weird small issues is frustrating.

Oh well, at least there are a lot of people around to help
What kickstart are you using?
Old 11 June 2021, 20:00   #5
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Yeah the RAM is where I would start. I had issues with my OG accelerator for my 1200 which turned out to be ram. I was getting similar issues to you. Freeze ups, and locks at erratic points.I was able to buy a second hand replacement on ebay for a few quid and it sorted it out.

If you are not running the TF, how does the system perform?
I’m gonna spend some time on Monday and try it with no accelerator, see if Octamed will load (Aladdin needs 2MEG Chip AND Fast) and try a number of other things
Old 11 June 2021, 20:01   #6
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetuk View Post
what kickstart are you using?