English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 June 2021, 21:08   #541
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Is anyone using a Deneb with 3.2 yet? Can the new rom modules be flashed into the Deneb flashrom like the 3.9 rom modules and boingbag elements can?
1) Clean the FlashRom
2) Flash only the correct 3.2 ROM plus the module AlgorKick
3) enjoy
Old 04 June 2021, 21:20   #542
rutra80

Lets compare a couple hashes/checksums of our ISOs so we know if they are watermarked with our serial number or something. I could generate one from my amigastore.eu ISO.
Old 04 June 2021, 21:26   #543
Madowax

Well, just reporting a problem, my configuration:
Amiga 4000d rev.b
Warpengine 4040 + 68060 adapter @ 75mhz + 128MB ram
Df0: Gotek Flash Floppy Latest
Df1: Samsung 321b modded
With KS3.1 and KS3.1.4 both FDDs work, both tested with Keirf Utilities and with xcopy.
With KS3.2 they behave erratically, most of the times they don't boot or one works and the other does not, Gotek has the worse behaviour. Sometimes with 3.2, keirf utilities report no track0, sometimes no ready signal, with 3.1 and 3.14 I got no error, Samsung even has a perfectly recognized ready signal of 350ms. Also tested with a Sony modified PC drive, same behaviour, also replaced the cable with a new one, no joy. As soon as I get back to 3.1.4 everything works perfectly fine with both Gotek, Samsung, Sony, old cable and new cable. Let me know if someone experiences the same problem.

Last edited by Madowax; 04 June 2021 at 22:24.
Old 04 June 2021, 21:29   #544
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I haven't seen the new NDK yet, so I'm still guessing what's in it.

I'm glad to help. Just contact me by email with a copy of the latest NDK, and I will test it and provide suitable header files. My address should be known, but you find it here on top: http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/
It is available for all now at:

https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/
Old 04 June 2021, 21:45   #545
gazsp

@Madowax How are you trying to install, by using the ADFs written to floppies / Gotek? I used the ADFs directly from the CDROM, and I had zero problems.

It sound like a faulty drive / cable to me. Try with *just* the Gotek as DF0: with a fresh cable (no other drive).
Old 04 June 2021, 22:06   #546
Madowax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazsp View Post
@Madowax How are you trying to install, by using the ADFs written to floppies / Gotek? I used the ADFs directly from the CDROM, and I had zero problems.

It sound like a faulty drive / cable to me. Try with *just* the Gotek as DF0: with a fresh cable (no other drive).
I did install it since the Gotek sometimes works and I really enjoyed it . I already replaced the cable and I tried 2 real FDDs both working on other amigas and 2 goteks, they all behave erratically with kickstart 3.2, if I put back KS 3.1.4 everything works, no problems, as it always did. My problem is not due to the WB but to the KS. If I boot keirf Amiga utilities I'm not using the Workbench but I still have the issues.

Last edited by Madowax; 04 June 2021 at 22:28.
Old 05 June 2021, 00:24   #547
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Are you running 2.1a or have you applied the 2.2 patch?
Pretty sure it is the 2.2 patch. The handler is version 37.275 at any rate. With it enabled it is only a matter of time, and not a long one at that, before I get gurus indicating something wrong with exec. With it disabled, the system is rock solid.

Still, still I found out that the new MenuTools offers the same functionality in adding new menus - and not only in the tools menu. Granted, without a nice gui to configure it but I can live with that.
Old 05 June 2021, 08:08   #548
Storm
SYS64738

Finally got around to installing and testing 3.2 and it's very nice. Good-bye HappyENV or HDEnv! After a few teething problems, I have everything pretty much sorted out as I updated my old 3.1.4.1 install.
The only problem I can't seem to solve is the Workbench screen locks up as well as keyboard input if I plug in an external hard drive via USB. I have a feeling it's got something to do with the massstorage.class of Poseidon 4.5. Weird thing is, if I load up Directory Opus 4.x and then plug the drive in, I can access the drive like normal.
Old 05 June 2021, 10:10   #549
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
I'm massively interested. We are planning on getting sgit to build on os3. Shouldn't be a huge huge task but not easy either. But it always good if something better comes along. So yes please tell when you have news
I had a quick google but the only sgit I could find was Java for android is there somewhere else I should be looking ?
Old 05 June 2021, 10:18   #550
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
I had a quick google but the only sgit I could find was Java for android is there somewhere else I should be looking ?
https://github.com/sba1/simplegit

and

http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/sgit
Old 05 June 2021, 10:52   #551
alancfrancis

Aha, thanks! Might abandon what I was doing and try and make a start
Old 05 June 2021, 12:19   #552
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Aha, thanks! Might abandon what I was doing and try and make a start
I can certainly understand if you do. On one hand it is nice with alternative implementations, but the Amiga community is probably not large enough. Better to combine our limited forces on a single project and make sure it works well.

So if you do want to join forces please contact me in a private message. Apart from Olaf another developer has already contacted me wanting to join up.

Let's make this happen!
Old 05 June 2021, 14:06   #553
Solskogen

Can I use P96 from aminet on 3.2?
Old 05 June 2021, 14:23   #554
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskogen View Post
Can I use P96 from aminet on 3.2?
Yes. No problem at all.
Old 05 June 2021, 16:15   #555
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
I can certainly understand if you do. On one hand it is nice with alternative implementations, but the Amiga community is probably not large enough. Better to combine our limited forces on a single project and make sure it works well.

So if you do want to join forces please contact me in a private message. Apart from Olaf another developer has already contacted me wanting to join up.

Let's make this happen!
Oh no, pressure! The fact that I have no idea what I'm doing may slow you down rather than speed you up, but happy to chat and see if you need any unskilled labour :-)
Old 05 June 2021, 16:19   #556
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Camilla has already covered this, but in case you want to start from scratch and replace everything in your existing fresh SAS/C 6.5x installation with what's in the NDK 3.2, I would suggest the following approach

Note that the "include:all.gst" file is deleted as a precaution so that you do not use it by mistake. It contains all the old Kickstart/Workbench 3.1 header files in a precompiled form which can be helpful to cut compilation time. But we just replaced all the 3.1 header files with the 3.2 versions...

I recommend not to use "include:all.gst" file but to generate that precompiled global symbol table file in each of your projects as needed. The compiler options you use to generate these header files may have an impact on what is generated, and that may not be a file which works well with a different set of compiler options.
Hi Olaf, sorry for the delay in response, I wanted to wait till I was at a proper keyboard rather than my phone.

I got it working by just putting the new include_H and libs folders *ahead* of the old in my INCLUDE: assign. That way I didn't have to delete anything. Do you see risks in this approach ?

The GST tip is super helpful, thanks!

When you and Camilla are saying you're developing 3.2 on an amiga using SAS, can I assume its not a real amiga, but something emulated so its fast ?

Alan
Old 05 June 2021, 16:44   #557
bubbob42

Quote:

When you and Camilla are saying you're developing 3.2 on an amiga using SAS, can I assume its not a real amiga, but something emulated so its fast ?
Some devs use emulation, some use real Amigas, some use both. Real feels good, but requires patience sometimes.
Old 05 June 2021, 16:47   #558
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Yes we may like to develop on the Amiga, but we don't have all day, so code and build using UAE in JIT mode and then when we test use a secondary config with no JIT but an MMU enabled
Old 05 June 2021, 17:59   #559
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have already found someone in internets who offers ISO download for 30 Eur :-/
Old 05 June 2021, 18:48   #560
Romanujan

@Predseda - I hope the rest of the distributors will follow, this is how they should have been selling the OS from day one.

On the other hand - Hyperion claimed the digital download would be a limited edition (1 type of machine, no extras), so this feels a bit unfair. I wonder why did they change their mind. Anyway, Hyperion idea of distribution just sucks - contrary to the development team, who did a really great job!