English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2020, 10:40   #901
kamelito
Zone Friend

I wonder if AmigaOS applications that can't display properly accents would be fixed by an OS update (french chars here) it is painful to see cryptic chars instead.
In workbench windows it would be nice to type a letter and have the file selected, another type flipping to the next etc.
Old 01 November 2020, 15:59   #902
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I wonder if AmigaOS applications that can't display properly accents would be fixed by an OS update (french chars here) it is painful to see cryptic chars instead.
I'm not quite sure I understand. The Amiga uses Latin 1 and have done so since 1985
Old 01 November 2020, 16:41   #903
kamelito
Zone Friend

Hmm maybe a copy paste from a web page that use utf8.
Old 02 November 2020, 13:51   #904
kamelito
Zone Friend

It as been already said but you’ll have to switch to better C compiler with LTO optimizations.
Still deliver the OS with the actual toolchain but provide alpha/beta builds with the new one. Do your QA then release to beta tester this could be done in parallel of the actual process.
Old 02 November 2020, 16:08   #905
asymetrix

A fresh install of 3.1.4 A1200 on winuae had me struggling to find a nice enough screen resolution, for clear text.

Its either too big or too small

I settled for UAE 800x600 32bit, BGRA (not sure if its correct)
Picasso96 cannot find any modes

Then struggled to get keyboard correctly showing UK keyboard, even when set to UK, I get :
kb -> screen
# -> \
\ -> no output
' -> #

I tried setmap gb, but cannot set the codepage to codepage 850 (DOS latin 1).

Then the CLI annoyed me with no path complete, so I installed KingCON - a bit better.

Installed Cubic IDE 4, another nightmare.
Old 02 November 2020, 16:15   #906
Thomas Richter

Quote:
It as been already said but you’ll have to switch to better C compiler with LTO optimizations.
There is unfortunately at this point no better compiler than SAS/C. Actually, it is quite ok. The problem other compilers are facing are that they do not integrate well into the Os. They either do not have registerized parameters, or do not allow to play with the base register (a4) and the "near" programming mode, or do not create resident files in a single hunk, or do not allow interrupt calls, or do not allow to put parameters into particular registers.
Old 04 November 2020, 08:24   #907
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
What's an 'LTO optimization' and why would you need it?
Old 04 November 2020, 08:27   #908
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

LTO stands for Link Time Optimization. It's used to shorten branch lengths and similar optimizations after linking takes place.
Old 07 November 2020, 11:02   #909
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Thor
I put in the zone a file named OSbugs.zip. I don't know where it came from but I wonder if the bugs listed there are fixed in the OS?
Old 17 November 2020, 12:52   #910
LastManStanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
First, I did not say that, I rather said that no modifications in the Os are needed for it. Second, I am personally a friend of a lean Os, and leave creations of applications to third parties, and their distribution to, well, "distributions" such as BestWB. It is not necessary to include any possible application in an Os, but only what is really necessary (i.e. preferences editors as applications). This just blows up the Os distribution. This said, I agree, a calculator is, indeed, quite unnecessary. I haven't used the one that comes with the Os once in 30 years. It is there by tradition, possibly as a demo application, but not by need.
The only calculators I use occasionally in the OS are the ones that come with "Programmer" mode. Even if most of the time you can't switch mode between for example u16, u32, i32 and so on. So indeed often I must use a third-party app.
Old 19 November 2020, 05:00   #911
Warty

Any chance we're getting contextual menu support?

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Intuition_Context_Menus
Old 19 November 2020, 17:48   #912
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Any chance we're getting contextual menu support?

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Intuition_Context_Menus
I'm afraid not (we are past feature freeze), but it should be added in then future for sure
Old 19 November 2020, 18:36   #913
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
In Amiga world I agree, I think this was the main issue some ppl had with OS3.9.. too eager to be the out of the box ready OS with "everything" included.. served to people who really prefer tinkering themselves. That's why a lot of us wanted something that improved on the sleek 3.1..
That being said, a couple of years ago when I got an Xbox One S and popped in a BlueRay I was pretty pissed to find out I actually had to download a BlueRay player app first
Expectations vary...

Why would you be so pissed? Is that not indicated on the box or in the sales jargon? For today, I can understand why downloading a program player would be needed rather than it being there already for that device. Updates do happen and not everyone wants that included as soon as you power on.

I think it's a nice addition to have some things pre-installed such as Multiview and the calculator. I wouldn't want the Operating System to be bloated and loaded with a lot of stuff to be removed that will become out-dated. I make my own Personal Computer with W!ndoze for that very reason, I stay far away from pre-installed Systems that have stuff you don't want and use space; though today storage is pretty at good prices.

Sleek and not bloated, that's how an Operating System should be. I appreciate some added stuff, as long as it's small. Multiview, I was being funny, I know it's part of the media display and so on. But the clock and calculator aren't needed but I have found them to be very useful often.
I don't like having all the programs on my newer TV. I prefer my A4000 (!!) or Windows for that..since Amiga 4000+CyberStormPPC doesn't have any Blu-ray or MKV HD support yet, not even OS 4.x. Anyway...

I'm glad Thomas and everyone are keeping it streamlined and sleek. Unless an Ultra or Professional (haw, haw, haw) are released.
Old 20 November 2020, 03:19   #914
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
I'm afraid not (we are past feature freeze), but it should be added in then future for sure
Thanks for the quick answer. Bring on 3.3!
Old 23 November 2020, 15:16   #915
Daedalus

Quote:
In workbench windows it would be nice to type a letter and have the file selected, another type flipping to the next etc.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's already there, and has been since 3.9 (maybe even 3.5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymetrix View Post
Then struggled to get keyboard correctly showing UK keyboard, even when set to UK, I get :
kb -> screen
# -> \
\ -> no output
' -> #

I tried setmap gb, but cannot set the codepage to codepage 850 (DOS latin 1).
Setting the GB keymap in the OS assumes an Amiga GB keyboard layout, but you're most likely using a PC keyboard with WinUAE, which is not at all the same thing. Have a look at a GB PC keyboard and an Amiga GB keyboard and see the differences in each of those keys you mentioned.

There are 3rd party keymaps around (I got one years ago, presumably from Aminet) that are specifically for PC keyboard layouts and will do the job of mapping the keyboard properly in WinUAE.

Last edited by Daedalus; 23 November 2020 at 15:23.
Old 25 November 2020, 11:00   #916
tom256

Are we close to release date?
Old 29 November 2020, 22:21   #917
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
Are we close to release date?
We are *closer* to a release date now
Old 30 November 2020, 23:03   #918
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

In texteditor.gadget there has been this unimplemented API for style (bold, italic, underline, and textcolor), but not different fonts.

It is the same rendering I use for highlighting, where it makes sense.

The general feature of applying style to characters however has never been implemented and isn't in 3.2 either.

Now the reason I write this is because I'm wondering if there is even a use case for being able to do so. I can only think of a simple email client, but these days even email is using html with fonts and images, so I think it is unlikely that texteditor.gadget would be used for that.

Can any of you think of a use case where you would use the gadget for editing rich text (not font or images, but only style)
Old 01 December 2020, 04:03   #919
Warty

Maybe to make a pseudo-WYSIWYG AmigaGuide editor? Or more generally, a code editor with syntax highlighting?

Build it and they will come?
Old 01 December 2020, 05:29   #920
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, I would have used this feature for the main Tunnels & Trolls display (like the Windows version has) and perhaps also for the AmiArcadia game information subwindow.