English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 14 August 2020, 05:25   #21
chip

I used my external 1TB Seagate when i taken my new notebook

I copied ALL the content from the external hd to internal hd of notebook and no problem at all
Old 14 August 2020, 08:36   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

@andy2004 I have several exact-looking external drives. I put a big sticker with the contents so I can't mix them up.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:43   #23
ptyerman

WD did make decent drives until recently, it's only earlier this year that things have changed.
They've started using the SMR writing technology in place of the conventional CMR that all drives used to use. Even worse, they did this without telling the consumer and even tried to hide the fact!
It has caused a storm of complaints and drives that are unusable in certain circumstances.
In short, WD are now shit and to be avoided until certain things are addressed!
It has come back to haunt them and they have started addressing the issues, like only using SMR in certain drives but until it really hits them in the bank account where it hurts the most, I don't trust them one inch!
It's a shame because WD did make good drives, one of my data drives is a 2TB WD Green that I purchased and installed in 2010, it's still used daily even now and has never had any problems whatsoever.
You can read up more on the differences between SMR and CMR drives HERE and also some of the horror story's in the comments section.
Seagate IronWolf drives are a safer bet for now, they have pledged NOT to do the same as WD and to mark their drives more clearly as to which technology they use.
Old 14 August 2020, 11:01   #24
wazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
WD did make decent drives until recently, it's only earlier this year that things have changed.
They've started using the SMR writing technology in place of the conventional CMR that all drives used to use. Even worse, they did this without telling the consumer and even tried to hide the fact!
It has caused a storm of complaints and drives that are unusable in certain circumstances.
In short, WD are now shit and to be avoided until certain things are addressed!
It has come back to haunt them and they have started addressing the issues, like only using SMR in certain drives but until it really hits them in the bank account where it hurts the most, I don't trust them one inch!
It's a shame because WD did make good drives, one of my data drives is a 2TB WD Green that I purchased and installed in 2010, it's still used daily even now and has never had any problems whatsoever.
You can read up more on the differences between SMR and CMR drives HERE and also some of the horror story's in the comments section.
Seagate IronWolf drives are a safer bet for now, they have pledged NOT to do the same as WD and to mark their drives more clearly as to which technology they use.
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea, but will look out next time I buy a new drive. However, right at the end of the article, they also say that Seagate and Toshiba have been caught doing the same thing - so it's not just WD to be wary of.
Old 15 August 2020, 04:23   #25
Technosylph

Yes, losing data is just terrible. I used to have an IBM drive with some fan games that I downloaded from the Internet. Anyone remember searching for things using GeoCities and AltaVista? The drive just stopped working and I could no longer find the games either because the web pages that had the original downloads disappeared too! After that, I've never bought an IBM drive again.
Old 15 August 2020, 14:35   #26
LongLifeA1200

Bad timing. The more permanent part of the Zone is out of commish.

I guess you're about to become the newest member of the "Backup the Backup Club".