English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 August 2020, 10:02   #1
jostberg

I/O-cards with CAMD driver

Are there actually any Amiga I/O-cards (preferably zorro) with available camd drivers?

I've been searching for a way to use more than one midi interface on my A3000, or is the triple play preferable?
Old 07 August 2020, 19:16   #2
Matt_H

I think this illustrates the need for a CAMD driver that would allow users to plug in a device/unit combination to use any serial port.

The GVP IOExtender was advertised as having MIDI expansion capability, but 1) I don't know if the expansion was ever released, and 2) whether it supported CAMD.

As it stands, the only things I can think of are the Checkpoint (which I only know because CAMD shipped with a driver for it) and the One-Stop Music Shop, which isn't an I/O card per se, but a whole MIDI synth and interface on a Zorro card.

Assembler source for the Checkpoint is on the Dev CDs. It uses the Autoconfig ID of the Checkpoint board in its init routines. I wonder if modifying it for use with another board would be as simple as changing the ID?
Old 07 August 2020, 19:30   #3
dschallock

apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I have used a serial midi interface with my Amiga 3000 for years. At one point I had the GVP IO extender plugged into the zorro slot and it came with extra serial ports. At one point I had the midi interface going through the GVP IO extender and then my US robotics modem was using another of them. I suppose you could plug a second midi interface into another of the serial ports it would just need to use a different device name right? Or am I missing the real issue here?
Old 08 August 2020, 09:43   #4
jostberg

The real issue is I want to use more than one midi interface as I have need for additional channels. I have a GVP IO-Extender as well but Bars&Pipes doesn't have any tools for using it and CAMD doesn't have drivers.
Old 08 August 2020, 21:02   #5
pipper

The serial driver that comes with CAMD directly opens the Amiga internal serial port. There is source code for it (in assembly). But maybe it can be changed in a way to open a generic device instead?! This way one could route MIDI traffic to any device.
Another option is MIDI over USB via the Poseidon stack. There is a CAMD driver for USB midi on Aminet.
Old 09 August 2020, 08:20   #6
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
The serial driver that comes with CAMD directly opens the Amiga internal serial port. There is source code for it (in assembly). But maybe it can be changed in a way to open a generic device instead?! This way one could route MIDI traffic to any device.
Another option is MIDI over USB via the Poseidon stack. There is a CAMD driver for USB midi on Aminet.
I’m no expert, but the source for the internal serial driver appears to bang the hardware rather than use serial.device, so adapting it might be difficult. Can a real coder take a look at it?
Old 09 August 2020, 08:27   #7
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostberg View Post
The real issue is I want to use more than one midi interface as I have need for additional channels. I have a GVP IO-Extender as well but Bars&Pipes doesn't have any tools for using it and CAMD doesn't have drivers.
I thought B&P allowed selection of the device name/unit for its MIDI I/O? Meaning you could set some channels to the IOExtender and others to the internal port? It’s not CAMD but it should be a way to use both interfaces.