English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 25 March 2019, 14:40   #2201
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I think it depends on what can be achieved. If the game looks and plays reasonably similar, I don't see the problem in attempting a port, even if it looks a bit worse than in the arcade.
On the other side, games like Street Fighter 2 and Metal Slug are clearly over the A500s capabilities, and the result will probably be always unsatisfying.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 25 March 2019 at 14:51.
Old 26 March 2019, 08:34   #2202
Hewitson

50hz shouldn't even be an option. The arcade game ran at 60hz. So should this.
Old 04 April 2019, 08:42   #2203
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
50hz shouldn't even be an option. The arcade game ran at 60hz. So should this.

Unless You using PAL Amiga. You forgot that PAL is 50Hz.
Old 04 April 2019, 14:16   #2204
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Unless You using PAL Amiga. You forgot that PAL is 50Hz.

PAL-60Hz wouldn' be a problem though. This is a european standard since the mid 90s.
Old 04 April 2019, 14:51   #2205
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
PAL-60Hz wouldn' be a problem though. This is a european standard since the mid 90s.
While PAL-60Hz is technically possible, there is a reason no one uses it on the Amiga (and it's not problems with monitors/tv's).

The simple answer is that the Amiga is not made any faster by switching to 60Hz. As a result you lose over 17% processing power & Blitter time per frame*.

Given this game (like many others on the Amiga) require lots of Blitter time you're fairly likely to run into performance problems, especially given the OCS target. Remember, an OCS Amiga can only display about ~20 bobs of size 32x32 per frame and that is if the screen runs in 16 colours. Cutting this down further by upping the refresh rate sounds like a bad idea.

*) it's certainly going to be more than the 17% you might expect because there will be relatively more display DMA compared to PAL, which slows the Blitter down pretty dramatically (and processor if more than 4 bitplanes are used).
Old 04 April 2019, 23:05   #2206
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
While PAL-60Hz is technically possible, there is a reason no one uses it on the Amiga (and it's not problems with monitors/tv's).

The simple answer is that the Amiga is not made any faster by switching to 60Hz. As a result you lose over 17% processing power & Blitter time per frame*.

Given this game (like many others on the Amiga) require lots of Blitter time you're fairly likely to run into performance problems, especially given the OCS target. Remember, an OCS Amiga can only display about ~20 bobs of size 32x32 per frame and that is if the screen runs in 16 colours. Cutting this down further by upping the refresh rate sounds like a bad idea.

*) it's certainly going to be more than the 17% you might expect because there will be relatively more display DMA compared to PAL, which slows the Blitter down pretty dramatically (and processor if more than 4 bitplanes are used).

I'm not going to comment on how much of a slow down is caused by running at 60hz but I will say that some people don't realise that there is a penalty for running at 60hz, just like more things can be placed on screen at 25 FPS.... the frame rate on the eyes suffers, 50 FPS is the PAL standard... and 60 FPS the NTSC standard... so that means an Amiga has less time to render a display than it does if it is going at 25 or 50 FPS.

I was looking for some resources for tutorials and found this brilliant video which I think is applicable here. Now this is a great watch for us tech heads.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 April 2019, 16:47   #2207
Cobe

Queston for ntsc users. How do 30fps games look and feel like? I know 25 is chopy. Do those 5 aditional frames make some noticable difference?
Old 05 April 2019, 17:07   #2208
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Queston for ntsc users. How do 30fps games look and feel like? I know 25 is chopy. Do those 5 aditional frames make some noticable difference?
Hey Cobe, will be around your way next week
Old 05 April 2019, 17:48   #2209
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Hey Cobe, will be around your way next week
Great! Looking forward! Pity you're not here already, we have retro meeting tomorrow.
Old 05 April 2019, 19:03   #2210
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Ah... I arrive on Sunday morning... just a little too late
Old 07 April 2019, 21:55   #2211
DamienD
Banned

All Street Fighter II discussions moved out of this thread to: Decent port of Street Fighter II possible?

Please try to stay on topic guys; if not then open a new thread. Simple really.
Old 07 November 2019, 11:47   #2212
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Every time same old music? How much time I've spent allmost begging for Rygars' OCS gfx? I thought it was close this matter... Please
Just use placeholders like seen here..
[ Show youtube player ]

I am sure someone would want to provide you with graphics if they see that you actually willing to finish a project.
Old 07 November 2019, 17:03   #2213
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Just use placeholders like seen here..
[ Show youtube player ]

I am sure someone would want to provide you with graphics if they see that you actually willing to finish a project.
Since, game is there. Would be better to do some changes at Rygar Aga. I've found some tricks that could speed-up OCS versions.
Old 07 November 2019, 17:21   #2214
DamienD
Banned

Above two post moved out of this thread: new amiga 500 doom like ! as it was way off topic...
Old 07 November 2019, 17:53   #2215
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Above two post moved out of this thread: new amiga 500 doom like ! as it was way off topic...
Thanks. I dont' know to do that.
Old 07 November 2019, 17:55   #2216
sandruzzo

@Steril707

I think would be better doing a fresh new one, as porting.
Old 07 November 2019, 17:59   #2217
mcgeezer

If someone can give some viable methods and ideas on how to rygar aga run well on ocs then i’ll open the code after i have fixed the final bugs in the game.

When i say viable i mean...

1) the parallax must remain
2) the colours must not suck so that it opens the game (but more so the a500) to negative criticism
3) the action in the game remains relatively the same

Dropping the frame rate is an option, but i cannot for the life of me see how to squeeze a 32 colour foreground into 8 colours, i will not look like rygar.

Geezer
Old 07 November 2019, 18:04   #2218
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
If someone can give some viable methods and ideas on how to rygar aga run well on ocs then i’ll open the code after i have fixed the final bugs in the game.

When i say viable i mean...

1) the parallax must remain
2) the colours must not suck so that it opens the game (but more so the a500) to negative criticism
3) the action in the game remains relatively the same

Dropping the frame rate is an option, but i cannot for the life of me see how to squeeze a 32 colour foreground into 8 colours, i will not look like rygar.

Geezer
1) Parallax can be made by sprites.
2) No problems, we can optimize blitters usages with some tricks, to squeeze more power
3) If we need, we can update some enemies at 25hz, so we can have 50 hz scrolling
Old 07 November 2019, 18:07   #2219
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I personally would use a 16 colour screen, using maybe 4 sprites for Rygar player, and 4 sprites for the background parallax... sure the background would have to repeat a little more, but using some colour changes down the screen, it could look pretty good.

There are plenty of great 16 colour games out there that (IMHO) look graphically as nice as Rygar arcade.

I've spent a few nights over the last few months, converting some various coin-op sprite sets and tile sets to a fixed 16 colour palette, with some good results overall (some better than others)
Old 07 November 2019, 18:08   #2220
sandruzzo

We can keep 32 colors, we just need to optimeze blitter usage, and use more tricks for enemies.