English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 July 2019, 09:38   #1
Seiya

Amiga games changes after HD Installation?

i don't remember if exists another tread like this, but i'd like to know if there is Amiga games that after Harddisk installation change in better from floppy version. Honestly i don't see difference, but maybe some rarities that make difference there is.

Last edited by Seiya; 13 July 2019 at 11:50.
Old 08 July 2019, 09:44   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well define "better", no disk swapping and faster loading times makes a 100% improvement

I can't recall reading about a game which actually changes in gameplay after HD installing it.
Old 08 July 2019, 10:02   #3
Seiya

i intended some more cut-scenes or better animation or more musics and sounds effects.
Old 08 July 2019, 11:13   #4
DamienD
Banned

I think Rise Of The Robots [AGA]; when installed to hard drive there's a long intro that you don't see when playing from floppy disk.
Old 08 July 2019, 12:34   #5
Daedalus

I don't remember any improvements other than the obvious loading times etc., but I do remember one that lost something: When I installed Flashback to hard drive back in the day (not using WHDLoad), I found it no longer played the cutscene animations, instead replacing them with a single line of text (e.g. "You picked up the holocube"). I'm pretty sure that was just down to a memory issue though, as the animations work fine on a more recent WHDLoad installation, and I don't think I had any extra RAM in my A1200 at that time.
Old 08 July 2019, 12:35   #6
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i intended some more cut-scenes or better animation or more musics and sounds effects.

Maybe few games, but playing from HD is much more comfortable. Playing some multidisk games from floppy is real nightmare. And remember there are some games which are HD/CD only.
Old 08 July 2019, 12:37   #7
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I don't remember any improvements other than the obvious loading times etc., but I do remember one that lost something: When I installed Flashback to hard drive back in the day (not using WHDLoad), I found it no longer played the cutscene animations, instead replacing them with a single line of text (e.g. "You picked up the holocube"). I'm pretty sure that was just down to a memory issue though, as the animations work fine on a more recent WHDLoad installation, and I don't think I had any extra RAM in my A1200 at that time.

CTRL+C switch on/off these anims. It's weird because AFAIK they should be off on floppy and on on HD.
Old 08 July 2019, 13:18   #8
Seiya

i want to see again "Rise of the Robot AGA". Yes of course from hd is better because we can avoid swap disks. I remember old review about Indy 4 that said on floppy version you can not enjoy with imuse system, but with HD installation, maybe, you can. My bad surprise when i see that also installed on hd there is nothing difference from floppy version apart to play without change every time various disks
Old 09 July 2019, 04:26   #9
Hewitson

I don't really understand why you'd expect the HD version to offer anything additional. All it's doing is using the same data that's on the disks.
Old 13 July 2019, 11:49   #10
Seiya

boh, because i thought that on HD some file could be decompressed in more large file with more detail, more animation and better audio. But maybe this thing need to have 2 different version of the same game: floppy and hd version.
however i saw that also Rise of the Robots ECS/OCS ha introduction that is not present in the floppy version.
Old 13 July 2019, 12:20   #11
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
boh, because i thought that on HD some file could be decompressed in more large file with more detail, more animation and better audio.
Now that You mention i remember that Captive 2: Liberation have choice of texture quality and quantity during installation. Probably playing from floppy You have base (worst and less) textures, when installing You can have better and more textures.
Old 13 July 2019, 12:47   #12
roondar

I'm pretty sure some small number of installs fix bugs or add missing images/intro's, but otherwise the answer seems to be 'no'.

On the other hand, I have seen installed versions of games perform worse than the disk version on rare occasions on my A600. As far as I've seen, the same installs on my A1200 don't suffer the same problems. Not sure why, but my guess is that it has to do with Blitter waiting being done in a different way (slower, but more compatible).
Old 13 July 2019, 20:18   #13
Seiya

there is very little title that have some improve in hd version, but at least there are. however of course HD is good to avoid change of disks.