English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 24 July 2003, 17:51   #1
lordsnooty

Can anyone get TBL Tint to run fully?

Hi everyone,

I love this demo (back when I had my Amiga in the late 90s, this was the most impressive demo I had ever seen - and the music is superb) - but now I can only get it to run up to a point - the graphics come to a half half way through (though the music keeps on going).

I'd really love to see the end of this brilliant demo again, but can't see any way of making it work properly on WinUAE. The music is also buggy, but that's not my main problem.

Has anyone managed to get it working all the way through? I'm not sure if it has something to do with the installer not working properly on WinUAE - does anyone know exactly what it's supposed to do?

Thanks

Last edited by lordsnooty; 24 July 2003 at 18:30.
Old 25 July 2003, 11:36   #2
Alan_HU

Exact same problem here (I indicated it several times, here, too, with no replies - which I can understand, it's probably not particularly easy fo fix).

The music is only buggy in 0.8.22 R8, it was good in R7. I also noticed that the audio sometimes goes strange in other demos/games/music players as well, and sometimes it can be fixed by pressing F12 and adjusting the sound buffer size to a different value (the point is not that the value is larger, but the fact the buffer size is adjusted). I guess it's an audio init problem.

Old 25 July 2003, 11:38   #3
Alan_HU

...actually, the point where the demo stops is somewhere 4:21 - 4:23 into the demo. The effect that fails to work is a Gaussian blur of the full background with the blur strength changing periodically between zero and approx. 5-8. After that, the next effect (the rotated Coke bottle) does not even initialize. The music goes on, but only up to the end of the current module.

Old 25 July 2003, 12:19   #4
Pyromania

Not that this helps you run the Amiga version but here is an mpg version.

http://www.tbl.org/demos2.htm

Also this demo is on the soon to be released on Amiga Demo DVD "Spark of the Scene"

http://www.discreetfx.com/Products.html

Last edited by Pyromania; 25 July 2003 at 12:26.
Old 25 July 2003, 12:38   #5
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Not that this helps you run the Amiga version but here is an mpg version.

http://www.tbl.org/demos2.htm
Nice, I'm getting 115KB/s

Was this recorded from an '060 system? I'm hoping so! Only ever seen it on my '030, which was still impressive.
Old 25 July 2003, 12:59   #6
lordsnooty

Thanks for all of the comments guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one (well, not that glad - more people should be able to see this demo running live).

Also, very grateful for the MPEG link. I had found that before, but the link to the file wasn't working then, must have been a fluke.

My apologies for the bizzare drunken style used in the original post, I hadn't had a drop, so I don't know how I messed that up so badly.
Old 25 July 2003, 13:05   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sound problem confirmed.

Unfortunately freezing problem seems to be timing problem (CPU is too fast/chip ram is too fast and demo misses next syncronization point)
Old 25 July 2003, 14:36   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Hooooo

Maybe cycle-exact setting will again cause some improvements. Try it guys.
Old 25 July 2003, 15:04   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

CE and JIT do not mix and CE in non-68000 modes is currently mostly useless.

CE is not disabled in GUI because there are some AGA games that work better in CE-mode but usually it causes only problems. (only blitter timing is modified, chip ram speed etc.. is still too fast)
Old 25 July 2003, 16:25   #10
Alan_HU

Guys, thanks for all the info. Now at least I know what's going on, although it sounds like this kind of timing problem is almost impossible to solve...

I have seen the MPG version, too, but it's low res (of course - it's over 100 megs even this way) and it'd be so great to eb able to run the original.

Toni, thank you in advance for looking into the sound problem.

Old 12 December 2003, 21:36   #11
Shaytan

Finally with WinUAE 0.8.23 Tint works fully! Thanks once again Toni!