English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 April 2019, 19:37   #1
andyhants

Action Replay issues

Hi all would appreciate some guidance on an issue I'm encountering trying to use Action Replay to save/load A500 games where either the game or WinUAE can't save hi-scores to disk. Yes I'm aware of the WinUAE Save / Load States but I prefer to use Action Replay for this so I am matching as closely as possible a real Amiga experience.

The issue I'm getting is I do an SA to save the current game state under Action Replay III Rom V3.17 to a standard adf file. I then do an LA to load it in a later session. Whilst it initially appears to load ok & work to start with using the same graphics screen as saved whenever I move onto the next screen (to start another game for example) I get totally corrupt graphics (like a tv screen with no aerial) & then WinUAE gurus.

It DOES work with a range of PD games - EG Crazy Sue, Amoeba Invaders, & Girl Actions, but when I try commercial stuff (albeit they are cracks) it consistently fails. Examples include New Zealand Story, Rick Dangerous, & Battle Squadron.

I'm running WinUAE 4.1.0 32 bit under the latest Windows 10 release. I usually use my own custom config file but since I encountered the issue I have been testing this with the standard WinUAE Quickstart A500 (the one labelled most common) config to ensure I rule-out a config issue.

Toni - in your 4.1.0 release notes you suggest 'improved' Action Replay compatability - which suggests maybe there are still problems getting it to work under emulation - is there anything you are aware of that could help me here please?

Also if anoyone else uses AR under WinUAE & isnt getting these issues or knows of the problem I would appreciate any guidance.

Once again just to say - yes I know I can use WinUAE Save States - but would really like to use AR if poss.

As ever thanks to everyone for any help & guidance offered.

Last edited by andyhants; 04 April 2019 at 19:43.
Old 05 April 2019, 09:34   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Action Replay saves can be unreliable in some situations.

Attach one example AR3 save adf (saved using most compatible quickstart mode) and I'll take a closer look.

(You did reinsert the game disk?)
Old 06 April 2019, 22:41   #3
atromhtos

Find site code for action replay iii amiga 500
Old 07 April 2019, 12:46   #4
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Action Replay saves can be unreliable in some situations.

Attach one example AR3 save adf (saved using most compatible quickstart mode) and I'll take a closer look.

(You did reinsert the game disk?)
Hi again Toni - apols for the delay in replying I've been doing some more testing. First of all though i have to fess-up that I stupidly didnt realise you had to reinsert the original game disk. I guess by pure luck all the PD games I've been using were small enough to allow the AR save to co-reisde on the same disk.

Anyway I can confirm that the AR compatibility does now appear to be pretty good with mainline (cracked) commercial games as well as PD. Not sure if this helps you any in dirving any further improvements but the one game that is still acting wierd though is Lotus Turbe Challenge 2. Wierdly I cna only get it to successfully do an SA (save state) when I interrupt the game from a driving screen. Trying to do an SA from any of the static screens (hi-score, config screen etc) results in the emualtion hanging (HALT 2) when the AR has compelted its analysis & just before it should write to disk.

Hope that helps & thanks for the (obvious) tip.