English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 12 February 2019, 21:08   #1
Sim085

File with special character not shown in workbench

Hello,

I have a game which contains two files which name contains the french character c-cedilla. The problem is that from my machine I can see the files exist in the game directory. However when I boot from UAE the icon file is not displayed. Even if I try "ls" command from Shell I still don't get the two files listed.

Can someone point out why this is happening? I am sure I did not have this problem on past installations. Is there a way to fix it?
Old 13 February 2019, 12:29   #2
Daedalus

How are you accessing the files on UAE compared to your current machine? AmigaDOS itself doesn't have a problem with international characters when the drive is formatted with an international-aware filesystem. Are you using the same filesystem under UAE? Is it possible you're using International FFS on one setup and standard FFS on another?
Old 13 February 2019, 14:34   #3
Solo Kazuki

I had similar problem using directory/folder as hard drive for Amiga. I suppose You're doing the same. You must rename file and icon (info) for "neutral" international character (e.g. "C", i suppose it's character based on this letter) and rename it again on Amiga side.
Old 13 February 2019, 17:00   #4
Sim085

Now that you mention "International" I believe there is a checkbox for this when partitioning. I probably did not thick this on. Do I need to re-format to enable Internationalization in FFS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
How are you accessing the files on UAE compared to your current machine? AmigaDOS itself doesn't have a problem with international characters when the drive is formatted with an international-aware filesystem. Are you using the same filesystem under UAE? Is it possible you're using International FFS on one setup and standard FFS on another?
Old 13 February 2019, 17:24   #5
mark_k

The problem isn't related to FFS, it's probably because UAE isn't correctly converting the Unicode local filename character to the corresponding Amiga character. Solo Kazuki's solution should work.
Old 13 February 2019, 17:37   #6
Sim085

Hi, yes I can confirm that Solo Kazuki works. However I would like to support these special characters. I have tried to do a copy of my setup to CF card and try on a real amiga and the file does not show on that either. However, I got the original disk of the game and boot from the original disk and the icon with this character does show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
The problem isn't related to FFS, it's probably because UAE isn't correctly converting the Unicode local filename character to the corresponding Amiga character. Solo Kazuki's solution should work.
Old 13 February 2019, 17:43   #7
Daedalus

Well, it depends on how the files were being read on UAE, hence the question in my first post. If the card was being mounted via RDB in UAE, then the unicode handling of the host is nothing to do with it, and it's all down to the Amiga-side filesystem. If it's being mounted as a directory, then of course the host's interpretation of the characters comes into play. If the files were being transferred via a FAT-formatted CF card, SMB share or some other filesystem, then that's another source of similar issues.
Old 13 February 2019, 22:16   #8
thomas

The international option of FFS does not affect the way files are stored. It only fixes upper case translation. In non-intl FFS you can save a file called Ç and enother one called ç. With FFS INTL these two names are considered equal and the second file overwrites the first one.

BTW, I cannot reproduce the problem. When I create a file called Ç.txt in a shared directory, it is shown in Workbench as well as in Windows Explorer. Note that if you order files alphabetically, you won't find Ç between C and D as one would perhaps expect, but it is placed at the very end of the list, after Z.
Old 13 February 2019, 22:55   #9
Sim085

Are you using FS-UAE or WinUAE. At the moment I am using FS-UAE on Mac. I don't remember I had this problem with WinUAE on Windows.
Just tried it again; named a file "Ç" on my Mac and when I start Workbench from FS-UAE I cannot see the file. Named it "C" and I can see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The international option of FFS does not affect the way files are stored. It only fixes upper case translation. In non-intl FFS you can save a file called Ç and enother one called ç. With FFS INTL these two names are considered equal and the second file overwrites the first one.

BTW, I cannot reproduce the problem. When I create a file called Ç.txt in a shared directory, it is shown in Workbench as well as in Windows Explorer. Note that if you order files alphabetically, you won't find Ç between C and D as one would perhaps expect, but it is placed at the very end of the list, after Z.
Old 14 February 2019, 07:30   #10
Solo Kazuki

@Thomas
Add .info (icon) to this file. Still visible in WB?

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 14 February 2019 at 07:52.
Old 14 February 2019, 21:17   #11
Sim085

So I copied all files from the Mac to a Windows machine and I noticed that the character "ç", while displayed as "ç" on Mac, it was displayed as "?º" on Windows! Unfortunately I do not remember how exactly I installed the Game which contains this file. I have a per-installed version which looks to be when checked from Windows. I could have installed from the original disks in FS-UAE however ... will need to try again!
Old 14 February 2019, 21:49   #12
Sim085

It looks to be a mac os issue. Copied file from Windows machine to USB and from USB to Mac and when I load in FS-UAE files with special characters no longer displayed. So i tried to copy from Windows to Mac and then again same file from Mac to Windows and I can see the special character changes.