English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 28 January 2019, 18:08   #41
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

On an old VAIO laptop, I only use 4.9.3 (non pae) as more recent versions lead to crashing the system unexpectedly on my side.
If you want to give a go, let me know, I should still have the archive somewhere.
Old 28 January 2019, 23:02   #42
peo

Found out that adding another 1GB stick to the machine made it work as expected (0.5GB was insufficient). Still it should be possible to put away let's say 64MB for Z-III RAM and 16MB for graphics on older computers with less than 2GB RAM.
Old 28 January 2019, 23:19   #43
AMIGASYSTEM

It depends on which OS Amiga you have to Emulate, I for OS 4.1 and AfA-OS use higher performance configurations:

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 January 2019, 16:41   #44
peo

Have just tried with standard 3.1.4, none of the ueagfx/picasso resolutions are available with less host RAM than 2GB.
Old 29 January 2019, 17:05   #45
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peo View Post
Have just tried with standard 3.1.4, none of the ueagfx/picasso resolutions are available with less host RAM than 2GB.
What are you using: Kick.a500.46.143 or Kick.a1200.46.143 ?
Old 29 January 2019, 19:24   #46
peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
What are you using: Kick.a500.46.143 or Kick.a1200.46.143 ?
kick.a1200.46.143 (otherwise there will be no Z3-RAM on that same laptop just by adding more RAM to the host (laptop))..

It's purely a hardware issue (in combination with the emu environment or FS-UAE), I get all the features when I add more RAM (but it should be possible to get less Z3 + graphics emulated on a host with 1GB).
Old 29 January 2019, 19:34   #47
peo

Select FS-UAE configuration from the boot menu (syslinux / Amilator) ?

Could this be possible ? It's quite easy to edit the entries in the menu on the bootable Amilator USB-stick (by editing syslinux.cfg, just tested this by correcting "gb" to "GB" and adding some space)..

Is there any way to pass a variable to the host OS by a parameter set on the boot entry ? That's the first step..
The second step is to change the launcher of FS-UAE to use the variable for config file name..

This way we could emulate multiple machines from the same stick (using different system disks/folders for the selectable machines)..
Old 29 January 2019, 20:19   #48
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok, about the graphics card if this can help you and my system configs file shown in the video

[fs-uae]
amiga_model = A1200
bsdsocket_library = 1
chip_memory = 2048
cpu = 68040-NOMMU
graphics_card = uaegfx-z3
graphics_memory = 32768
hard_drive_0 = /amiga/hardfiles/AfA-OS
hard_drive_1 = /amiga/harddirs/Work
hard_drive_2 = /amiga/harddirs/WHDload
# hard_drive_3= /mnt/auto/autofs/cdrom
floppy_drive_volume = 0
jit_compiler = 1
joystick_port_1_mode = nothing
keep_aspect = 0
kickstart_file = /amiga/roms/kick31A4000.rom
zorro_iii_memory = 524288
mouse_speed=50
mouse_integration=1
base_dir=/root/Documents/FS-UAE
fullscreen_mode=window

Old 30 January 2019, 04:04   #49
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I got bit intrigued by this project, tried 3 different memory sticks, but non show 2 files that should show after using syslinux command.

Command shows to run, but no files usually means something is not right.
Old 30 January 2019, 09:00   #50
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I got bit intrigued by this project, tried 3 different memory sticks, but non show 2 files that should show after using syslinux command.

Command shows to run, but no files usually means something is not right.
Probably wrong something, if you can serve I attach my old tutorial:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 January 2019, 09:54   #51
peo

Quote:
Ok, about the graphics card if this can help you and my system configs file shown in the video

[fs-uae]
amiga_model = A1200
bsdsocket_library = 1
chip_memory = 2048
cpu = 68040-NOMMU
graphics_card = uaegfx-z3
graphics_memory = 32768
kickstart_file = /amiga/roms/kick31A4000.rom
zorro_iii_memory = 524288
That's a combination I haven't tried.. A1200 with A4000 KS (but A1200 with A1200 KS gives Z3-RAM on a host with 2GB physical)..

Did not do any difference.. still no Z-III RAM or graphics card on a 1GB host system (got same messages, but also only a black screen, no AmigaOS booting up).
Decreased Z-III RAM to 64MB, same result (messages + black screen)
Old 30 January 2019, 09:57   #52
peo

Quote:
Probably wrong something, if you can serve I attach my old tutorial:

[ Show youtube player ]
The included syslinux does not install any files.. just MBR and marks the partition as active.. So the error is in the guide (did this with two sticks, and both boot ok).
Old 30 January 2019, 10:41   #53
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The included syslinux does not install any files.. just MBR and marks the partition as active.. So the error is in the guide (did this with two sticks, and both boot ok).
No, they are "hidden" files, in your system you have not enabled the vision "hidden" and "system files" (files protected by the system)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 30 January 2019 at 10:47.
Old 30 January 2019, 13:02   #54
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
No, they are "hidden" files, in your system you have not enabled the vision "hidden" and "system files" (files protected by the system)

Yes, files are hidden, but on my computers I always have enabled to show all hidden files. I see all windows system files, but those 2 I did not see on any of drives, until I used CMD to show directory.

Simple:

DIR /A:H

shows file being there. I am still lost why this does not show on file explorer, but it was too late to check that. I will continue working on it tonight.

LOL, reason I was looking for those files was your video, because I saw files being created by syslinux and latter reading about it, found that those 2 files are required for this to work. Thank you!

SO far I got to boot to ClasssicWB P96 workbench (HDF), but no Fast or Zorro 3 memory and there were couple more warnings. Does Zorro 3 require special ROM or just KS 3.1 from A4K or A1200??

I should probably first get it to work again on FS-UAE on windows before attempting to work on Amilator.

I was not able to check performance on one of my old laptops, but if this work, I might look into installing this on HD. Are there any good tutorials how to do that?

Is there a way to select configuration or you have to use Loader to specify what config to start?

Another Edit:

Just for fun, I tried to install this on VMWare, preparing 20GB virtual hd, formating it as fat32, setting partition active and mbr with syslinux (had to use -f to force for non-usb drive), installed files (copy of my setup on that other laptop, with modified FS-UAE configuration - and no errors - it loads into P96 ClassicWB, but mouse is not responding and no sound. (even VM shows sound device active)

Went out to debian, installed updates (some failed, probalby for security reason of running it on Fat32 partition), installed VMWare tools - but still no mouse or sound on vmware.

Later tonight I will try it on couple of other old laptops.

Still lost, why is looking for systems with more then 3 GB memory?!

Last edited by Anubis; 30 January 2019 at 14:45.
Old 30 January 2019, 15:42   #55
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Yes, files are hidden, but on my computers I always have enabled to show all hidden files. I see all windows system files, but those 2 I did not see on any of drives, until I used CMD to show directory.

Simple:

DIR /A:H

shows file being there. I am still lost why this does not show on file explorer, but it was too late to check that. I will continue working on it tonight.
I see that you do not know Windows well, as mentioned above you have to disable Hidden Files, System Files and also extension (optional), see screnshot attached below.

Quote:
LOL, reason I was looking for those files was your video, because I saw files being created by syslinux and latter reading about it, found that those 2 files are required for this to work. Thank you!
Yes, they are necessary, they are similar to those created by MS-DOS and Windows systems.

Quote:
SO far I got to boot to ClasssicWB P96 workbench (HDF), but no Fast or Zorro 3 memory and there were couple more warnings. Does Zorro 3 require special ROM or just KS 3.1 from A4K or A1200??
No normal Rom 3.0/3.1

Quote:
I should probably first get it to work again on FS-UAE on windows before attempting to work on Amilator.
It is better to do tests, you can also do them on VMWare

Quote:
I was not able to check performance on one of my old laptops, but if this work, I might look into installing this on HD. Are there any good tutorials how to do that?
Yes you can also test on WinUAE

Quote:
Is there a way to select configuration or you have to use Loader to specify what config to start?
The config file "host-props" is the one that decides which config to start

Quote:
Another Edit:

Just for fun, I tried to install this on VMWare, preparing 20GB virtual hd, formating it as fat32, setting partition active and mbr with syslinux (had to use -f to force for non-usb drive), installed files (copy of my setup on that other laptop, with modified FS-UAE configuration - and no errors - it loads into P96 ClassicWB, but mouse is not responding and no sound. (even VM shows sound device active)

Went out to debian, installed updates (some failed, probalby for security reason of running it on Fat32 partition), installed VMWare tools - but still no mouse or sound on vmware.

Later tonight I will try it on couple of other old laptops.

Still lost, why is looking for systems with more then 3 GB memory?!
On VMWare it's a bit slow, for the mouse looks at the entries in my config file

WMWare: Amilator AfA-OS

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 February 2019 at 22:44.
Old 30 January 2019, 16:17   #56
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
I see that you do not know Windows well, as mentioned above you have to disable Hidden Files, System Files and also extension (optional), see screnshot attached below.
Ouch, charlie, that really hurts...

Quote:
The config file "host-props" is the one that decides which config to start
I will look into that.

Quote:
On VMWare it's a bit slow, for the mouse looks at the entries in my config file

WMWare: Amilator AfA-OS

[ Show youtube player ]
I got it working on VMWare and looks quite fast, but no sound. Do you have you sound working, and if yes, how?!

Attached screenshot of ClassicWB P96 running on Amilator onVMWare Workstations. I managed to fix mouse before I read your post by using the same value from your config. I did not try different ROM, just A1200 kickstart. Does Amiga 4000 3.1 kickstart makes any difference?

I lowered zorro to 128MB and have it all installed on Harddisk. I see that OS is running form HDF file as well (Debian), so updates does not looks to make any difference, since at next reboot it goes back to original state. (So vmware tools don't seem to be installed, even I installed them)

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amilator-1.png
Views:	477
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	61827  
Old 30 January 2019, 16:58   #57
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Ouch, charlie, that really hurts...
Was a joke joking

Quote:
I got it working on VMWare and looks quite fast, but no sound. Do you have you sound working, and if yes, how?!
I use an old version of VMWare 6.x because on 32Bit systems you can not install more recent versions.

The audio with Amilator on PC works, I did not try on VMWare, but as I said above I have a primitive version of VMWare.

With VMWare What do you use to boot from USB ?

Quote:

Does Amiga 4000 3.1 kickstart makes any difference?
Little difference, but they both work, better to use the native KickStart linked to the model to Emulate, read HERE, Kikstart 3.1 A4000 is fine for emulating A4000 or OS4.1, see screnshot

Quote:
I lowered zorro to 128MB and have it all installed on Harddisk. I see that OS is running form HDF file as well (Debian), so updates does not looks to make any difference, since at next reboot it goes back to original state. (So vmware tools don't seem to be installed, even I installed them)
Thank you!
I have to check, I do not remember but I think we can change and save everything

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 February 2019 at 22:44.
Old 30 January 2019, 17:19   #58
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

Thank you!
I did some tests and the sound works, see small video attached:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test%20Aud...e-Amilator.avi
Old 30 January 2019, 17:23   #59
peo

Quote:
I do also always let windows (try to) show hidden and system files.. got exactly that same problem, the files does not show up in windows, only in the shell..
Old 30 January 2019, 17:29   #60
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I do also always let windows (try to) show hidden and system files.. got exactly that same problem, the files does not show up in windows, only in the shell..
Very strange, if you turn off the items as shown in the screenshot the files must be seen

Beware, if you have disabled the three items, you find everything turned on again then it may be an old virus infection that hid the system files.