English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 05 November 2017, 10:17   #101
McTrinsic

I think it's great that you keep working on it.

T H A N K Y O U !
Old 05 November 2017, 11:13   #102
jotd
This cat is no more

@rare_j I was thinking about it. There aren't so many JST only slaves which are absolutely necessary. I could call this new version "JSTLoad" for instance, as a new sidekick to WHDload.

- this new program still has degrading capabilities, i.e. run a program with zeroed VBR & caches off, ECS....).
- I just removed some obscure functions (like exotic decrunchers, and some OSEmu relocate function which is very rarely used) so most JST slaves are still working.

Not sure how to continue exactly, but I'll continue.
Old 24 November 2017, 23:31   #103
jotd
This cat is no more

After thinking about it, I'll keep calling it JST, and will keep most of the features (I removed some obscure ones, but just a few).
Old 03 December 2017, 22:09   #104
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
After thinking about it, I'll keep calling it JST, and will keep most of the features (I removed some obscure ones, but just a few).
This is totally "par hasard" that I found this thread.
Seeing that in November 2017 the development of JST is going on! Whaou! Great!!!

I add my voice for the ability to use slave on a 1.3 machine (ROM & WB).

In fact after discovering Amilator almost three month ago I decided to give it a try on a laptop and am setting up a configuration to run some games. Rom 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 (like my old original Amiga). Souvenirs, souvenirs...

Finally I discovered this thread because "King's Quest I" (original release) is not HD friendly. I remember that the original-copy I own (don't know if it still working) was copy protected with an kind of unreadable file. What a pity for my HD, back in the 90's.

As for today, I found a copy of "King's Quest I" on the Internet which has an "Install" program from Sierra. Cool! my original-copy didn't had this Install...
Unfortunately just after clicking on OK to install on HD (Amilator/FS-UAE hard-file), the program stops with a "resource.vol was not found." error. Uncool! Trying to manually copy the files to the HD is not possible (same kind of unreadable file). Grrrrr !
(King's Quest II & III can be installed by copying the files to HD.)

So after reading this thread, "a new hope" (not the Star Wars' one ) is coming...

I will try to install JST and give a try with the slave that is available on the WHDLoad page. Will tell you.

PS @jotd : some links are broken on you page at http://jffabre.free.fr/amiga/patches.html
PS 2 : If someone has an unprotected version of "King's Quest I" that can be copied to HD, it is with great pleasure.
Old 03 December 2017, 22:37   #105
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Finally I discovered this thread because "King's Quest I" (original release) is not HD friendly. I remember that the original-copy I own (don't know if it still working) was copy protected with an kind of unreadable file. What a pity for my HD, back in the 90's.
Early versions of KQ1 were protected with Herndon HLS and could indeed not be installed to HD.

Quote:
Unfortunately just after clicking on OK to install on HD (Amilator/FS-UAE hard-file), the program stops with a "resource.vol was not found." error. Uncool! Trying to manually copy the files to the HD is not possible (same kind of unreadable file). Grrrrr !
If the resource file can't be read your disk is broken! This file doesn't have anything to do with the protection and copying files to HD works. If the disk is not stuffed that is!
Old 03 December 2017, 23:03   #106
jotd
This cat is no more

JST revival is more designed to run WHDload slaves on kickstart 1.3 now, and planned to be able to emulate cd32 joypads like CD32load does.
Old 03 December 2017, 23:53   #107
dr.zeissler

JST running WHDLoad-slaves on 1.3 would be totally awesome!
Currently I get a "guru" when I do so.
Old 04 December 2017, 02:47   #108
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
If the resource file can't be read your disk is broken! This file doesn't have anything to do with the protection and copying files to HD works. If the disk is not stuffed that is!
You are right, I shortened too much my description. In fact only one file cannot be copied. It is named " " (8 spaces) with a size of 297 bytes.
When trying to copy it manually, a requester appears : "Volume KQ1 has read/write error".
With this 'missing' file on HD (I suppose as I do not know the Herndon HLS protection), when launching the game, another requester is displayed : "Please insert volume KQ1 in any drive".
If the KQ1 disk is inserted, loading continue. Disk can be removed for playing (did not play a lot but actually seems to work).

I found 5 different version of "King's Quest I". None of them had the "resource.vol" file. Even the version which contain in the name "[cr Power Lords]" is not cracked (still asking for the KQ1 disk when launching the game ).

I bought many many games back in the Amiga time and made my mind : disk copy-protection su@#s!! (sorry for being impolite ). I do believe that manual-based copy-protection are the only one that are OK (colour codes, word x, page y, etc.). But this only my personal opinion .

I still need to test JST + slave (will have time this week) but would it be a hard task for somebody knowing the Herndon HLS protection to remove it? (patch the Sierra file? another file? I have seen on the WHDLoad slave readme that it has been removed.)
Old 04 December 2017, 08:56   #109
AmigaBoy

Quote:
JST revival is more designed to run WHDload slaves on kickstart 1.3 now, and planned to be able to emulate cd32 joypads like CD32load does.
The thing I loved about JST is it allowed me to run games from HD on low RAM machines. I love WHDLoad, but I've always secretly loved JST a little more
Old 04 December 2017, 09:09   #110
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
You are right, I shortened too much my description. In fact only one file cannot be copied. It is named " " (8 spaces) with a size of 297 bytes.
That file is part of the HLS protection.

Quote:
I do believe that manual-based copy-protection are the only one that are OK (colour codes, word x, page y, etc.).
Disk based protections for adventures do indeed suck (there, I said it ). Manual based protections are the better choice here and later Sierra games actually did use manual protections instead of HLS.

Quote:
I still need to test JST + slave (will have time this week) but would it be a hard task for somebody knowing the Herndon HLS protection to remove it?
Removing the HLS protection isn't too hard, Ben Herndon's code was quite neat for its day but still a wasted effort when it comes to protections in my (not so) humble opinion.
Old 06 December 2017, 00:49   #111
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I will try to install JST and give a try with the slave that is available on the WHDLoad page. Will tell you.
Ok, I had a moment to give a try to JST + slave on "King's Quest I" on my "1.3 AmigaOS" config.

Even if I used to be a registered user of WHDLoad, it is 17 years old now (I launched it for the last time). So let me know if I did something wrong in what follows :
Since WHDLoad requires OS2, I quickly setted up an hardfile (I am using Amilator) with AOS 3.1 + WHDLoad 18.3 + InstallerNG (needed by WHDLoad Install) + skick346 + downloaded the "King's Quest I" WHDLoad Install.
Created the slave and tested it whith WHDLoad under 3.1 :
-> was able to launch the game (Great!), to type text, to move Sir Graham and change screens (Great!) .
-> BUT mouse is not working ??? Do I need to set a parameter ?

Copied the working installation on a shared folder and switched back to AOS 1.3.

Copied the two roms to DEVS:Kickstarts and launched "jst1.4 KingsQuest.slave".
-> got a "** JOTDStartup does not support this WHDLoad slave yet!"

So tried with jst v5.0 beta rc5 : "jst KingsQuest.slave"
-> something happened as the 1.3 shell got displayed (after 20 seconds), BUT then nothing more.... like a computer freeze.

Do you have any advice ?
Old 06 December 2017, 19:00   #112
jotd
This cat is no more

KingsQuest needs kickemu, which isn't supported (yet) but should be soon in JST v6.0 (planned, already started to merge code from CD32load)

You could try another slave.

mouse not working is really puzzling... I'll test that.

@dr.zeissler it works, but not for all slaves. New version (in the works) will run a lot more slaves inc. moonstone... I thought you said it worked. Works for me BTW.
Old 06 December 2017, 21:32   #113
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
KingsQuest needs kickemu, which isn't supported (yet) but should be soon in JST v6.0 (planned, already started to merge code from CD32load)
OK and thanks for the feedback . Will check regularly here to see if the v6.0 is out for testing.

Quote:
You could try another slave.
There are so many games I enjoyed and finished that I will for sure .

Quote:
mouse not working is really puzzling... I'll test that.
Thanks. Of course, if I can be of any help, let me know.
Old 06 December 2017, 22:29   #114
jotd
This cat is no more

I just tested (winuae+whdload 18.3) and mouse is working. It is very strange if it doesn't. Try another game with mouse.
Also, remember that left amiga key + arrows emulates the mouse. Test that too (it also works from KQ whd just tested it). That should help a bit.

JST 6 will be out around Xmas I hope (too much work before that!)
Old 06 December 2017, 23:46   #115
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I just tested (winuae+whdload 18.3) and mouse is working. It is very strange if it doesn't.
I found a clue on another thread about Amilator :
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
If you have problems with some WHDload games, namely cursor not moving change "mouse_integration=0" on your config.
Since this change on the FS-UAE config, mouse is working with the KQ1's slave on AOS 3.1 .
Old 06 December 2017, 23:52   #116
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
JST 6 will be out around Xmas I hope (too much work before that!)
Cool !
Old 07 December 2017, 00:11   #117
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Kings Quest 1 Enhanced has the file resource.vol but I don't think non enhanced version does You can find the whdload version pre-installed here http://whdownload.com/games.php?name...hButton=Search
If you open the Data file and run KG1 file it should run it doesn't use whdload and you might want to create icons.

;;Don't know looks like someone just stuck the HD install from the Enhanced version on the non-enhanced version

Last edited by Retro1234; 07 December 2017 at 01:10.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:21   #118
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Following your link, I found "KingsQuest_v1.1_1333.zip".
As far as I understand WHDLoad, "Disk.1" is a copy of the game disk (with the protection) and the slave handle the copy protection. So I don't understand when you say : "[...] If you open the Data file [...] it should run it doesn't use whdload [...]".
Could you please give more details ?
Old 07 December 2017, 02:56   #119
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Sorry I didnt know there were Two version Enhanced and original non enhanced versions.

Kings Quest 1 enhanced has the Data folder and the file resource.vol but this version could probably just install from any ADF version.

I might be very wrong but I think the HD install with Kings Quest un-enhanced is actually the HD install for the Enhanced version that has ended up on the non enhanced cracks of the game???

Last edited by Retro1234; 07 December 2017 at 03:02.
Old 07 December 2017, 16:00   #120
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Sorry I didnt know there were Two version Enhanced and original non enhanced versions.
No problem.

Regarding this specific game, and if I believe what is written in a readme file on Aminet, there was also another version in 1987 (original is from 1986 as stated in the intro sequence of the game). This file from Aminet is labelled "KQ1-fix.lha" and should be able to patch the Sierra file to remove the Herndon HLS protection check thus allowing the copy to HD. Unfortunately all ADF tested so far are not compatible with this fix .