English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 April 2017, 23:08   #21
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I'm surprised its fully in assembler.
I am not surprised it's in assembler - that is what Amax IV and EMPLANT's Mac emulation were written in - which is where the code for Shapeshifter originally came from (as in, yes it was stolen - but that's common knowledge).
Old 25 April 2017, 00:27   #22
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I am not surprised it's in assembler - that is what Amax IV and EMPLANT's Mac emulation were written in - which is where the code for Shapeshifter originally came from (as in, yes it was stolen - but that's common knowledge).
Stolen?
I remember you said a long time ago he reused your code or ideas. Was it like that?
Old 25 April 2017, 04:10   #23
esc

Quote:
According to Apple, Inc. (who I contacted about this subject recently as well as every year since the early 90's) states that the Macintosh system software is not redistributable (as shown in the copyright message above). If Apple wants to release it via their website, then that would be the only method of legally getting it. However, Apple states that it is not available for download. Contact Apple yourself for confirmation.
I'd rather just download it on archive.org and hope that Apple has the decency to not bother suing me or archive.org.

Old 25 April 2017, 04:31   #24
wXR

I'm not surprised that a first-class man such as yourself would have access to the Apple red phone, JimDrew.
Old 25 April 2017, 08:27   #25
Locutus

Quote:
Now that all of us can actually review the Shapeshifter code, do you dare to actually provide proof of this?

2 pieces of software written in the same language with the same goals doesn't say anything after all.

'Common Knowledge' is a cop-out.
Old 27 April 2017, 19:57   #26
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I'd rather just download it on archive.org and hope that Apple has the decency to not bother suing me or archive.org.
That's probably likely, but I was pointing out that having any software on Archive.org without permission of the copyright holder is technically illegal. As of today (check the date of this post), Apple has stated that they have not granted anyone permission to redistribute their Mac OS software.
Old 27 April 2017, 20:01   #27
JimDrew

Quote:
Now that all of us can actually review the Shapeshifter code, do you dare to actually provide proof of this?

2 pieces of software written in the same language with the same goals doesn't say anything after all.

'Common Knowledge' is a cop-out.
The theft is common knowledge. I provided disassembled code from Shapeshifter and EMPLANT's Mac emulation to a few respected Amiga developers (like William J Coldwell) for comparison, and they posted their findings on AmiNet. When multiple sections of code are byte for byte identical, it is stolen. We looked into pursuing legal action against Christian (after sending cease and desist letters), but being a college student at the time with no verifiable source of income (and after having successfully sued a company in the U.K. for copyright infringement which resulted in costing us money), our attorney said we didn't stand to gain anything financially. Simon Douglas/Readysoft was also in the same boat, with about 80% of Shapeshifter originally coming from Amax IV. It's easy enough for anyone to disassemble and compare code, so there is no need to take my word for it. There is a long history of documentation about this... do a search.
Old 27 April 2017, 21:05   #28
esc

Quote:
That's probably likely, but I was pointing out that having any software on Archive.org without permission of the copyright holder is technically illegal. As of today (check the date of this post), Apple has stated that they have not granted anyone permission to redistribute their Mac OS software.
I have a habit of jaywalking once in a while, too. I'm not too worried about it.

Old 02 May 2017, 17:05   #29
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
On related news and also for Jim's interest.

http://de4.aminet.net/misc/emu/ShapeShifter_src.readme

That is a cool release! I'm surprised its fully in assembler.

Many thanks to Christian and the sourcecodepreservation dudes.
Now Jim can see if ShapeShifter really did have A-max/fusion code in like he claimed.

Last edited by Retro1234; 02 May 2017 at 17:18.
Old 02 May 2017, 19:21   #30
JimDrew

Umm... that was already confirmed more than 2 decades ago.