English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 February 2017, 17:38   #1
Cherno

Who here has actually played Amiga games with a friend on different machines?

I remember that I had my cousin over and he had brought his Amiga with him, we connected our machines and played a few rounds of deathmatch Alien Breed 3D I think that was the first time I ever played a real multiplayer game (as oposed to a splitscreen affir or similar, on the same computer). The connection was called Null-Modem or something, right? Fun fact: In AB3D deathmatch, the other player uses the normal alien soldier sprite, there's no "Doomguy" version of the Alien Breed marine here

Anyone else? Compared to today on the PC and consoles, I think it was extremely rare for people to network/p2p their Amigas around 1996.
Old 23 February 2017, 17:52   #2
jPV

Yeah, me and my friend occasionally connected two A500s together with null-modem cable back in the early 90s. We played Stunt Car Racer, Armour Geddon, Knights of the Sky, Lotus 2, Falcon etc.

But nowadays we connect two accelerated A1200 several times a year at different events (user group meetings, LAN parties, etc), and the most fun multiplayer games are Super Skidmarks (8 players simultaneously!), Stunt Car Racer (Turbo-version for the speed, max 8 players league!), and Lotus2 (4 players simultaneusly).

Other games to try with null-modem link are, for example, Blitz Bombers (max 16 players simultaneously!), Max Rally, XTreme Racing... and this list has more examples.

Oh, and we did play Napalm with two 060/RTG Amigas countless hours at one time.. that's so perfectly balanced two player game in linkup.
Old 23 February 2017, 19:19   #3
Nobby_UK

My Nephew and I played :
Stunt Car Racer
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
Battle Cars 1 + 2
and Skidmarks

with a cable between our rooms
Old 23 February 2017, 20:25   #4
-Acid-

I've played KOTS and Stunt Car Racer using a long 20 meter cable vs my next door neighbour a couple of decades ago.
Old 23 February 2017, 22:39   #5
eXeler0

I've actually player 4-split screen Xtreme Racing. A buddy did the rigging but I played on my own A1200.

Bonus: I played "Malice" (Quake Mod) with a friend, one on Amiga, the other one on a PC connected with a null modem cable ;-)

Last edited by eXeler0; 25 February 2017 at 03:08.
Old 24 February 2017, 10:00   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

If memory serves my Brother and I (he had a 2MB A600 with Hard Disk, where as I had an A1200 8MB FAST + Hard Disk) used a few link up games - later my friend Smithy and I laid down some law with some what accelerated A1200's

Serial - Null Modem :
  • Amourgeddon
  • Gloom
  • Hard Drivin' 2
  • Lotus
  • Knights of the Sky
  • Napalm
  • OverDrive
  • Populous
  • Skidmarks

Strangely I am drawn to saying "Dune 2" as well?

When I got an 060 I would phone up my friend LidLessEye in France and dare say attempt Quake Death Match - to say I was lagged and to say I got spanked would be a massive understatement - then one day we hooked up again, I explained to my good friend that I had sorted out the frame issue of 8fps and was now getting over 100fps - obviously amazed he asked how - I explained that I changed the CPU to an Athlon 900 and much revenge was had!
Old 24 February 2017, 15:36   #7
Cobe

I played a game on Amiga on different machine with another different machine
I'll probably repeat myself but that was the moment back in 90s when I was the most proud of my Amiga. I actually played Warcraft under Shapeshifter with a friend on a PC over the modem
Old 24 February 2017, 21:18   #8
Bastich

Settlers (all day marathon)
Populous (very funny)
Old 25 February 2017, 11:14   #9
spiff
Oh noes!

Hey, thanks for reminding me! I had forgotten all that serial cable/null modem goodness.

Super Fulcrum (or F16?), I was soo hyped...
and we just ended up flying in circles. Ie why any realistic multi flight player sim sucks in 2p. Either you see a dot and get killed by long range missiles, or you fly in circles.

Stunt car racer and Lotus saved the day though
Old 10 March 2017, 15:48   #10
Muadib

Best topic ever, brings back so many memories!

These games were my favourite thru NM:
-Combat Air Patrol
-ArmourGeddon 2
-XTR
-Gloom
-AB3D II
-Super Skidmarks

I think we need to have some Nu.M. Gatherings every now and then...
Old 11 March 2017, 00:28   #11
tin

Definitely played stunt car racer over a null-modem, and I think against an ST as well.

Also didn't know you could do that with XTR - was one of my most favourite games! will have to revisit.
Old 11 March 2017, 02:33   #12
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

A friend and I played Flight Simulator over a modem. I had the game, was at his house and loaded it off floppy, then drove home and loaded it on mine. We played until his machine crashed (A1000 vs. A1000).

A few years later, I and another friend of mine with a Mac, played the crap out of Marathon over modems, him on his Mac, me on my A4000 with an Emplant board.
Old 11 March 2017, 07:56   #13
DannyBoy

Dunno if this counts, but yeah, played Firepower with a friend over modem/telephone line. Was plenty of fun. I barely rembember the commands to connect. ATDT something My dad was always worried about telephone bills, so we had to keep those games quick