English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 March 2016, 15:30   #41
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't like that at all AROS to me does not look or feel anything like AmigaOS and to make it even worse it is MUCH slower. I really wanted to buy a vampire2 in the "near" future but after this I don't think I want to anymore.
that people are not able to read...

hear my words... you GET 3.1 just that you get it how it is, if there are features added in FPGA that are not supported by 3.1 then they will not be in 3.1 because the team does not have the sources to integrate them. Simple as that. Perhaps they will try to support them by patches or deliver drivers but that all will be limited. You can also directly hack the hardware if you want.
Old 06 March 2016, 15:30   #42
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Use Workbench 1.x icon set.
Old 06 March 2016, 15:33   #43
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
you can buy vampire allright. none will force you to use aros on it.

however if you want some additional functionalities, just to mention being able to push windows out the screen then it would be more consistent to put some work in an open os replacement with available sources instead to patch asm code where you can.

also interesting, what is the difference in aros feel&look in comparison to genuine one? icon set? speaking bhere from a perspective of someone who actually has aros running on amiga hardware since long, not just watching few videos, that were ment to demonstarte flaws.
it has not "the real name" propably (sorry for being sarcastic here)
Old 06 March 2016, 15:35   #44
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Use Workbench 1.x icon set.
I used icon.library from PeteK and basically managed to show any icon available

The problem is in fact you need several different distributions to satisfy everyone
Old 06 March 2016, 15:40   #45
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
The problem is in fact you need several different distributions to satisfy everyone
people were juggling with icon sets on amiga all the time. dont see why they would have lost this ability and needed everything served to them on the plate the way they expect. maybe its the age..
Old 06 March 2016, 15:42   #46
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Current versions of Aros are ugly - basic versions would be better but back on subject Aros 68k is to slow.
Old 06 March 2016, 15:43   #47
wawa

okay. i think this thread is not for people complaining on or not interested in aros who dont want to or can help anyway. i cant be bothered to answer to this over and over. some work is waiting. constructive contributions welcome.
Old 06 March 2016, 15:44   #48
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Current versions of Aros are ugly - basic versions would be better but back on subject Aros 68k is to slow.
uglieness lies in eyes of the spectator...
Old 06 March 2016, 15:46   #49
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Women always tell me this?

If you take out all the funky stuff so it just looks like 3.x boot without startup-sequence peopele will see how similar it is.
Old 06 March 2016, 17:30   #50
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
okay. i think this thread is not for people complaining on or not interested in aros who dont want to or can help anyway. i cant be bothered to answer to this over and over. some work is waiting. constructive contributions welcome.
I think lots of people gave constructive feedback,mmainly, that there should be no focus on added functionality, rather in optimization so it would run like os3.x on a stock Amiga. Agter that is accomplished, yes, please add away!

If you don't want discussion of a topic by absolutely everyone, even those that might not be technically able to help out with code, it shouldn't be posted in a public forum. Feel free to not answer, but you can't forbid people from reading or posting in this thread.
Old 06 March 2016, 18:58   #51
wawa

@toni: thanks for adding buffering hunks. will be testing it shortly. that alone is worth this thread (if it works)
Old 06 March 2016, 19:59   #52
deadwood

@ Interested developers:

I'm a member of AROS Development Team. I can help you with setting up development environment, building AROS and describing basic principles how things work. Contact me, preferably via email, deadwood wp pl.
Old 06 March 2016, 20:21   #53
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If you don't want discussion of a topic by absolutely everyone, even those that might not be technically able to help out with code, it shouldn't be posted in a public forum. Feel free to not answer, but you can't forbid people from reading or posting in this thread.

i simply dont need to hear about and answer to issues we all know about over and over. that doensnt help to develop anything further.

Last edited by wawa; 06 March 2016 at 23:27.
Old 06 March 2016, 20:22   #54
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
@ Interested developers:

I'm a member of AROS Development Team. I can help you with setting up development environment, building AROS and describing basic principles how things work. Contact me, preferably via email, deadwood wp pl.
btw . in most of cases i can help in this respect as well. i have written up simple manuals how to do this for x86 as well as for 68k.