English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2006, 07:55   #1
lostfriend
Zone Friend

create autobooting hdf images from games

Hi,
how can I create selfbooting hdf images from my favourite games, i read some thimes that people did this but i cant find any documentation about this.
I really love the games, but i dont have time to wait xx Minutes for the games are loaded and I only use the xbox for emulation, so cd32 isnt perfect.
Since many games run from Cd32 or whdload wouldnt it easy to create a small script that copys the right files into the hdf images? I use linux and can mount anything into the llocal filesystem.
Old 19 February 2006, 08:31   #2
Ironclaw
Banned

Just create a S directory with a startup-sequence in it and enter the propper content.
Old 19 February 2006, 10:38   #3
lostfriend
Zone Friend

mmh, im not into the amiga filesystem, sold mine 10 years ago .
Can you please describe it a bit more detailed.
How exactly must the Sequence file look like, and what files do I need for whdload oder cd32 games?
lets say i i wanna take alienbreed from the whdload package.
I tried that with some games from a cd32 compilation by using the C, Devs and other folders and by changing the the startup-sequence, these games boot fine,
but when I use a normal whdload game with the same setup it wont work.
Looks like it would be much work to bring most of the games in that format, i actually hoped to be able to write some scripts that do create these images automatically.

So far this works great for some games, zero loading time rocks.
Maybe it can get some finetuning:
I use a .bat that is launched via the startup-sequence, so i dont need to touch it anymore:
I dont know what the 44k option is for...
PHP Code:
C:Add44k
C
:whdload Pushover.slave preload nocache 
Can I finetune whdload via its config file in S?

thx

Last edited by lostfriend; 19 February 2006 at 20:18.
Old 20 February 2006, 23:42   #4
lostfriend
Zone Friend

well i got 20 games working, but not with the latest whdload version,
when I copy the content from the whdload 16.4 folder to c the games wont start,
this seems to be the main problem why some wont run.
For now i using e-uae and a copy all the contents to a folder that is mounted as a harddrive.
When i converted the folder to hdf the loading times get much longer
I know the Linux kernel has affs support but I cant mount any hdf images :/.
I found a perl script (readdisk.pl)that can read hdf files but not write, and I cant find the adress of the author, maybe someone knows a good method how to create hdf images under linux. AdfOpus runs througs wine, but with a mount command or some other tool that handle hdf files I could create a small tool that create images the usual installs. Any ideas for this.

BTW: why hasnt anyone did this in the past on a largers scale(if this question is allowed)?
Old 28 February 2006, 12:50   #5
lostfriend
Zone Friend

Ok. i have nearly finished a tool that creates bootable HDF images from the usual whdload lzx/zip archives. the majority files I tested work without problem.
Just put the lzx into a folder, run the script and in the end you have the HDF file.
Since bippy is working on a more intelligent version I dont exactly know if I should make my scripts avaible to the public, also this works only under linux.
If someone interressted I would appriciate the support of someone who is a bit more into the amiga system, for finetuning and so on.