English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 November 2020, 19:24   #121
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I’d be interested to know where these negative comments are coming from.
I’ll bet i can guess.
That's the thing... The positive comments are being ignored on EAB and IndieRetroNews and Saberman's video. Yet we've seen no link to these negative comments . It's like a re-run of the IronGate escapade
Old 13 November 2020, 20:00   #122
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I’d be interested to know where these negative comments are coming from.
I’ll bet i can guess.
yup, some are repeat offenders as far as i can tell

the kind of people with self misery so deep that want the rest of us to level down, the usual "want a cinemaware/factor5 team 17 level of quality game for free" folks

Last edited by saimon69; 13 November 2020 at 20:07.
Old 13 November 2020, 21:13   #123
LeCaravage

Ok, calmed down a little bit.
I decide to finish the game but no more preview, no information outside EAB from me, so I'll be not tempted to read comments and kill my motivation.
The ADF game was first planned to be distribued for free but now it will be only released for and only for EAB users. The game will be at very limited card box edition (I need to search for informations about how manufacturing cardbox, paper doc and where to find new 3.5 disquettes, I'm totally noob at that).
The game will also be personnalised for each person who buy a game (your name within front text presentation).
I know it could sound childish or selfish but as I've been itching to stop all it's the only solution founded. But I refuse to work hard on a free game and see people spitting on your work.
Old 13 November 2020, 21:17   #124
vulture

Personally, I think it's fine to ask for money for your work man, so, go ahead and don't let the trolls wear you down. We fully support you here, keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
I decide to finish the game but no more preview, no information outside EAB from me, so I'll be not tempted to read comments and kill my motivation.
The ADF game was first planned to be distribued for free but now it will be only released for and only for EAB users. The game will be at very limited card box edition (I need to search for informations about how manufacturing cardbox, paper doc and where to find new 3.5 disquettes, I'm totally noob at that).
The game will also be personnalised for each person who buy a game (your name within front text presentation).
I know it could sound childish or selfish but as I've been itching to stop all it's the only solution founded. But I refuse to work hard on a free game and see people spitting on your work.
Old 13 November 2020, 21:40   #125
mcgeezer

Quote:
Great that you've came back.

For making boxes check out my video that I did for when I did Rygar.

[ Show youtube player ]

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Graeme
Old 13 November 2020, 22:28   #126
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I did the box for Powder, i can help too if needed
Old 13 November 2020, 22:38   #127
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
I completely love this, I love to be credited
Old 13 November 2020, 23:15   #128
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Thanks guys for the kind comments but, I just stumble upon comments from a bunch of blokes about SPB.
I don't ask people to praise my work, I understand you could disklike it for good reason,
but I don't understand why those people wrote things like the ones I read :
"not forth a download", "I can do better in ZXSpectrum BASIC", "he's not able to program a scrolling".
These, are amongst other mockeries. But I still don't understand why precisely they dislike it as they
don't give any arguments and they even don't know there's no download link.
May be, they are harsh because it is a result of a group dynamic, plus the use of a non english
language makes them more daring, but unfortunately -for me- this is also my native language.
Younger, I'd probably have rush into a raging fight.
But the real hurting thing is they are several to agree about my game's shit, making me think there's inevitably something I did wrong in my game creation.
Now after that I can't get out of my mind the game is pure shit.
Gosh ! Depressing. I drop. I'm done.

PS: Don't misunderstood me, I'm not taking it personal or seriously, just that as I already said these comments pointed out that something wrong in the game.
Dude, you need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Spotting constructive criticism is usually very easy, you've spotted those comments that offer ZERO anything.

Treat them as such, ignore them, block them if needs be.

It's not just the Amiga world, its every machine format, those that think they are entitled to bitch and moan about everything, incapable themselves of even remotely having 4% of your skill, and lacking the patience to even try.

The always lovely Michael "I must complain on my blog" Gibbs thinks my Atari ST ports are a waste of time.

With that kind of opinion, who cares what he thinks?

Learn to spot constructive criticism that helps you, and utterly ignore the unhelpful, don't let them get to you otherwise you invite more of it, its what they live for.

Old 13 November 2020, 23:57   #129
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Dude, you need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Spotting constructive criticism is usually very easy, you've spotted those comments that offer ZERO anything.

Treat them as such, ignore them, block them if needs be.

It's not just the Amiga world, its every machine format, those that think they are entitled to bitch and moan about everything, incapable themselves of even remotely having 4% of your skill, and lacking the patience to even try.

The always lovely Michael "I must complain on my blog" Gibbs thinks my Atari ST ports are a waste of time.

With that kind of opinion, who cares what he thinks?

Learn to spot constructive criticism that helps you, and utterly ignore the unhelpful, don't let them get to you otherwise you invite more of it, its what they live for.

Great and wise words. But I'm affraid negative reactions will never stop.
Old 14 November 2020, 10:34   #130
mahen

Salut LeCaravage !

Maybe you could post your progress reports on YT but disable the comments section ?
Comments on social medias turns people nuts, regardless of the subject actually treated.
Twitter is probably the worst.

One solution would be to disable and just ask a specific community, requiring a special account. Such as this board. Or even better, Patreon (or similar) if you decide to go this way.

As we say : https://www.wordreference.com/fren/l...st%20difficile

++
Old 14 November 2020, 14:01   #131
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

If you're going to engage with these trolls at all, the best response is to keep plugging away, make SPB fantastic, bide your time while the positive reviews flood in and then slap them round the head with 'em. You're well on your way. It's looking great so far.
Old 14 November 2020, 22:56   #132
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Don't discourage ! As fellow Frenchman, i ask you to finish this game, because it looks very good, very funny, and graphically brilliant.

The game seems to move very well !

Do you plan to add up different enemies, how many of them do you have handy ?

To me, this is typically the type of game i want to see on the Amiga. And once finished, why not make an enhanced version for A1200 with more colors ?

Keep us dreaming !
Old 15 November 2020, 11:18   #133
LeCaravage

@all : thanks for motivating words

@dlfrsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Do you plan to add up different enemies, how many of them do you have handy ?
And once finished, why not make an enhanced version for A1200 with more colors ?
Yes, there's already others ennemies, this is the difficulty of this type of game, finding monsters complementary one another and the hardest of all : AI of monsters, damn I've never imagine that would be so hard to code and tweak (I'm not pleased at all by actual AI, I need to rewrite it once more).
I have for the moment 7 different monsters already included in game, plus 1 big boss.

AGA version in coding point of view that would not be problematic but, graphic men would have a lot more work to do (new backgrounds would need to be drawn in 128 colours (the actual ones are in 6 colours) and bobs enhanced from 7 to 15, plus adding more animations step) and they are like all of us, they make it on their narrow spare time. Also musician who could make music/sfx with far more memory space.

To be honest, sometimes I have scruple when asking them working with technical limitations.
Old 15 November 2020, 11:27   #134
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Could you please provide me (or better say: us) a picture of one of the enemies in ilbm format for me to try to add colours up to 15? I do not say I will redo the graphics, but personally I would like to test it. I have always problem setting up a suitable palette

If you would be so kind and upload one to the Zone, various people could try to do something with it on their own.
Old 15 November 2020, 12:03   #135
LeCaravage

Sure, this was done by Ralph. I don't count grey color #0 (transparency), bob need to be 7 colours. The first three colors (#1, 2 and 3) need to be protected, don't change them (because of redondant objets all along levels). Colours #4, 5, 6 and 7 must be lightness sorted from most to less.

Old 15 November 2020, 20:06   #136
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Great call you've not given up @LeCaravage!
Honestly it would have been a HUGE shame for all the fantastic work you and your team have done.

Quote:
Sure, this was done by Ralph. I don't count grey color #0 (transparency), bob need to be 7 colours. The first three colors (#1, 2 and 3) need to be protected, don't change them (because of redondant objets all along levels). Colours #4, 5, 6 and 7 must be lightness sorted from most to less.

That's a pretty nice pixel art work you've got there
I take it the game runs under dual playfield, right? Note that you can utilise 1 extra color here. You don't need to reserve that color for transparency only.

One extra question I'd like to ask. I've seen that at the old AGA demo there are frames where enemies are gradually getting covered with pumpkin. However at the latest demo this is completely missing. Do you plan to add these frames? This was basically the only thing that I felt was really missing from your demo.
Old 15 November 2020, 20:37   #137
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

^ yes, as it is PUMPKIN bros, there must be pumpkins
Old 16 November 2020, 19:55   #138
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Amiga Bill / IRN did a feature

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/804600714?sr=a&t=0s

About 3 hours 20mins or so

" IT'S SO FUN, IT'S SO COOL "
Old 16 November 2020, 20:19   #139
LeCaravage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
I take it the game runs under dual playfield, right? Note that you can utilise 1 extra color here. You don't need to reserve that color for transparency only.
Right, dualplayfield. 1 extra color ? I'm afraid to not understand, please could you explain more deeply because I've no idea how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
the old AGA demo there are frames where enemies are gradually getting covered with pumpkin. However at the latest demo this is completely missing. Do you plan to add these frames? This was basically the only thing that I felt was really missing from your demo.
You're not the only one asking it, Ralph and Adrien have the same opinion than you. 3 graphic men vs me : I have to accept defeat. I had asked them to not add that because of tight memory restriction. Will add it but not with extra animation for each monster. Need to overlay an external generic animation. That means more blitter operations.

@Neil79 : Thanks
Old 16 November 2020, 21:27   #140
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

[never mind]