English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 March 2019, 20:31   #141
mpattonm

Last year I have received last batch of the same adapter, as shown in post #127, B1 revision with the only exception - those I buy have female 44p pinheader installed instead and (sic!) cost about 4USD more. Anyway, I was stunned to realize the IDE LED was always on, even when there was no card inseted. Needles to say previous batch of the same adaptor was fine (well fine as long as it was patched with jumper wire as described in this thread).
Turns out chinese have soldered incorrect type of transistors on these. Easiest and cheapest solution: remove both transistors, resistor array and (optionally) on-board LED. Then shorten collector pin pad of (removed) transistor closer to IDE port with emitter pin pad of the other (gone) transistor. You can use piece of wire or alternatively 0R 0805 resistor to do so (fits nicely).This will directly connect /IDELED pin on CompactFlash card to corresponding pin on IDE. The compactFlash card then pulls down mainboard IDE LED switching circuit input directly.
Same mod will also solve the other issue with LED always off, so it can be used as universal compatibility mod on every rev.B1 IDE/CF adaptor.
Old 09 April 2019, 23:32   #142
Amicol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpattonm View Post
Last year I have received last batch of the same adapter, as shown in post #127, B1 revision with the only exception - those I buy have female 44p pinheader installed instead and (sic!) cost about 4USD more. Anyway, I was stunned to realize the IDE LED was always on, even when there was no card inseted. Needles to say previous batch of the same adaptor was fine (well fine as long as it was patched with jumper wire as described in this thread).
Turns out chinese have soldered incorrect type of transistors on these. Easiest and cheapest solution: remove both transistors, resistor array and (optionally) on-board LED. Then shorten collector pin pad of (removed) transistor closer to IDE port with emitter pin pad of the other (gone) transistor. You can use piece of wire or alternatively 0R 0805 resistor to do so (fits nicely).This will directly connect /IDELED pin on CompactFlash card to corresponding pin on IDE. The compactFlash card then pulls down mainboard IDE LED switching circuit input directly.
Same mod will also solve the other issue with LED always off, so it can be used as universal compatibility mod on every rev.B1 IDE/CF adaptor.
I have just received one of these V.B1 with an 'Always On' LED. I think I follow what you instructed, i.e. removed all three components in the corner (Resistor array + 2 transistors), but am unsure which 2 points to solder together. Have you got a picture of the fix?
Old 04 May 2019, 19:36   #143
mpattonm

See attachements
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_070628.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	62988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_071358.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	62989  
Old 04 December 2019, 22:16   #144
aeberbach

Nice fix mpattonm - I like to think someone got in trouble for including parts that cost money and weren't needed!
Old 05 December 2019, 00:04   #145
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpattonm View Post
See attachements
So just to be clear, this a resistor OR a simple wire will be enough to join these 2 points? And by doing so, the LED will work correctly on the Amiga side? Will this result in the onboard LED functioning correctly with HDD activity as well or will that remain on permanently?
Old 05 December 2019, 00:08   #146
aeberbach

The '0' resistor is exactly the same as a wire, it is a resistor with no resistance - aka a link.

I took the LEDs on the adapter boards off while I had the soldering iron hot. The Amiga 1200 HD LED works as it should.

The only thing that isn't working is the master/slave setting, I can't have two of these adapters on the one cable. It does boot but the second drive, though visible in HDTools, cannot be accessed by the system (trying to switch to HD1: in CLI).
Old 05 December 2019, 02:39   #147
lesta_smsc

Just realised my CF to IDE converter does not have the relevant points

Are there any mods/guides to get the SD to IDE converter LED working correctly?
Old 05 December 2019, 04:12   #148
aeberbach

Can you show a picture?
Old 05 December 2019, 06:15   #149
lesta_smsc

It's this one:
https://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_10310_1.jpg

(NOTE: I can't seem to link it without it being massive and disrupting the post! Any ideas how to link images and make them smaller?)

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 05 December 2019 at 06:25.
Old 05 December 2019, 07:48   #150
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Are there any mods/guides to get the SD to IDE converter LED working correctly?
Anything that will rise high level on pin 39 (ACTIVE) from 3.3 to 5.0 V. MOS transistor, LS or HCT non-inverting logic gate... Example schematic diagram here: https://rastport.com/products/KA47/
Old 05 December 2019, 10:34   #151
lesta_smsc

I found a mod using a 2N7000 N-Channel MOSFET. Seems like an easy mod of cutting track to pin 39 and then having the pin 39 fed via MOSFET effectively working as transistor?
Old 12 December 2019, 18:41   #152
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Can anyone advice on alternative to 2N7000? I have the following at my disposal and wondering if these would act as voltage regulators/transistors to do the same:

- KSP44
- 78L05 0826

Then I can get underway with fixing the IDE2SD adaptor I have. The onboard LED works fine but not the one for the Amiga side!
Old 12 December 2019, 19:43   #153
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Can anyone advice on alternative to 2N7000? I have the following at my disposal and wondering if these would act as voltage regulators/transistors to do the same:

- KSP44
- 78L05 0826

Then I can get underway with fixing the IDE2SD adaptor I have. The onboard LED works fine but not the one for the Amiga side!
I wouldn't have thought so. MOSFETs are voltage controlled devices whereas BJ transistors are current controlled. You'll probably fry the BJT without any current limiting.

Maybe someone cleverer than me can confirm.

Why not order some 2N7000s? They are super cheap.
Old 12 December 2019, 19:51   #154
lesta_smsc

I wanted to do it now lol. Otherwise yes you get 20 odd for 99p!
Old 13 December 2019, 19:48   #155
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
I wanted to do it now lol. Otherwise yes you get 20 odd for 99p!
Cheaper from China if you're not in a hurry and a cheapskate like me
Old 13 December 2019, 19:52   #156
lesta_smsc

I'd rather pay extra and not have to wait 2 weeks lol
Old 15 December 2019, 04:17   #157
lesta_smsc

Just an update. Part delivered and installed! Works perfectly

Here's a pic. Not as neat as author of the mod but it does work so I'm happy lol.

Thank you to the author for easy mod. I wonder whether even placing a diode across the resistor to pin 39 may work just as well?
Old 21 May 2020, 10:39   #158
rabidgerry

Hate to bring this thread up again, but may as well keep it all under the one roof! I have been using a CF IDE adapter for a while now and I wondered why my LED doesn't work. I got my adapter from Amiga Kit and as far as I'm aware, the adapter light is supposed to work with those straight off the bat. Obviously not a critical issue. But I can see that the light on the adapter itself works and flickers when loading. Just the light on the actual Amiga doesn't seem to flicker or do anything. Also probably worth mentioning, after some time with my Amiga being on the power light will do a bit of weird flickering from full brightness to slightly duller. Would this have anything to do with it? Would a replacement set of LEDs be the solution may be?
Old 21 May 2020, 13:00   #159
lesta_smsc

Post a pic of your CF adaptor (not one online as they all look similar and it's your specific board that will be needed). Some of these require either a single wire or component to feed the high signal for LED when in use and keeping it off at standby/not in use.
Old 22 May 2020, 17:02   #160
rabidgerry

Quote:
Post a pic of your CF adaptor (not one online as they all look similar and it's your specific board that will be needed). Some of these require either a single wire or component to feed the high signal for LED when in use and keeping it off at standby/not in use.
Ok well weirdly in my quest for another mod on the hardware section of this site I had to open my Amiga 1200 and take it apart to get access to the mother board. When I put it it all back together the hard drive light was working in tandem with the CF adapter activity. However when I then tried the floppy drive to make sure that LED was working suddenly the HD LED stopped working again. That and my floppy drive only reads disks 50% of the time and the other 50% comes up with NDOS??? Could it be I just need new LED's for the Amiga? Or loose connection somewhere?

I think not that this issue is more so the LEDs than the actual CF adapter. I have no idea what to try next though, buy new LED's and be done with it?