English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 08 December 2021, 18:11   #1
ProfPlum

Very slow access to folder containing mp3 files

As the title says, I have a folder with some mp3 files, not many, perhaps 50 files of varying sizes.

Every time I try to open this folder via the workbench, it takes too long. It's as if wb is accessing each file.

I'm using WB 3.2. What can I do to improve upon this?

Thank-you.
Old 08 December 2021, 18:40   #2
thomas

It's probably DefIcons trying to find out the type of file so that it can assign the right icon to it.

You can remove DefIcons from WBStartup and reboot, then it should be faster. But you can no longer open files without icon by double click.
Old 08 December 2021, 21:06   #3
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Out of box, DefIcons in 3.2 doesn't even have to open mp3 files to determine what they are, if they match #?.mp3 for the filename. The definition is also quite early on. You might want to check that your definition for sound/mp3 matches:

What other files are in the drawer? If there's more than just mp3 files, it could be DefIcons trying to figure those files out as well. Or it could be another performance issue. What file system does the disk with this drawer use? Running SnoopDOS and watching what WB does when you open the drawer might also give some insights into where the issue lays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deficons-sound-mp3.png
Views:	382
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	74025  
Old 09 December 2021, 00:07   #4
ProfPlum

Thank-you thomas and coldacid for the ideas.

There may be an odd .flac or .m4a format music file in there as well.
I move music over from my NAS to the amiga and I don't always pay attention to the extension.

I don't have my Amiga at the moment. I should have it back by Christmas.
I'll check this out then.
Old 18 December 2021, 23:09   #5
ProfPlum

I have my Amiga once again (it was in the shop for repairs)

The deficons setting for mp3 files looks fine.
But when I double click an mp3 file, it tries to load it up with multiview.
Why is that?

Thank-you
Old 18 December 2021, 23:19   #6
ProfPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfPlum View Post
I have my Amiga once again (it was in the shop for repairs)

The deficons setting for mp3 files looks fine.
But when I double click an mp3 file, it tries to load it up with multiview.
Why is that?

Thank-you
ok I see the issue (possibly). The tooltypes/info for my mp3s seem to be set to multiview.
But why are mp3 defaulting to multiview?

Last edited by ProfPlum; 18 December 2021 at 23:32.
Old 18 December 2021, 23:51   #7
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Most default icons will be set to Multiview, in hopes that you have installed a datatype that can handle the file for which the default icon is being used. While this makes sense for classic Amiga formats, it obviously doesn't for some newer formats.

You should check to see if you actually have an ENVARC:Sys/def_mp3.info file. It's possible that you don't, and that ENVARC:Sys/def_audio.info is being used as the default icon instead. If you don't have def_mp3.info, then do "COPY FROM ENVARC:Sys/def_audio.info TO ENVARC:Sys/def_mp3.info".

Once you've established that you have def_mp3.info (whether it already exists or you have created it as a copy of def_audio.info) then change the tool for def_mp3.info to the MP3 player tool of your choice. Afterwards, any new default icons for MP3 files will open in that tool instead of Multiview.
Old 19 December 2021, 00:16   #8
ProfPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Most default icons will be set to Multiview, in hopes that you have installed a datatype that can handle the file for which the default icon is being used. While this makes sense for classic Amiga formats, it obviously doesn't for some newer formats.

You should check to see if you actually have an ENVARC:Sys/def_mp3.info file. It's possible that you don't, and that ENVARC:Sys/def_audio.info is being used as the default icon instead. If you don't have def_mp3.info, then do "COPY FROM ENVARC:Sys/def_audio.info TO ENVARC:Sys/def_mp3.info".

Once you've established that you have def_mp3.info (whether it already exists or you have created it as a copy of def_audio.info) then change the tool for def_mp3.info to the MP3 player tool of your choice. Afterwards, any new default icons for MP3 files will open in that tool instead of Multiview.
I don't have a def_mp3 nor a def_audio file, but I get your point. I fixed the file associations for mp3 files by creating a copy of def_sound.

But oddly, when I repeat this for .m4a files, it doesn't seem to work.
Old 19 December 2021, 02:40   #9
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Sorry, yeah, I meant def_sound.

For MPEG-4 files, you'll need an appropriate DefIcons definition for the file type. Your best bet would be to create a new filetype under sound, and use the "Filename" rule with pattern "#?.m4a".

Also, I forgot about this earlier but you can actually create new default icons from within Default Icons Preferences for types that don't have one of their own yet (says "Icon doesn't exist. Will show parent icon." under the filetype edit gadget). If you click the "Change Icon..." button and then "Copy From Parent" in the requester that shows up, then the preferences tool will make an appropriately named copy of the parent icon file. Then just click on the icon shown in the preferences tool to get the icon information window where you can make your edits. I just did that myself for sound/mp3 and sound/mp2 so that I can have them start in AmigaAMP.

Last edited by coldacid; 19 December 2021 at 02:45.