English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 April 2019, 16:25   #1
vroom6sri

Gotek floppy emulator question

I've looked at some YouTube videos and searched the posts one here to see if I could find the answer myself but no joy so far. My question is this... If I was to get a Gotek floppy emulator to replace my internal disk drive on my A1200 can you/how do you select any disk currently on the inserted USB stick whilst in Workbench?

The reason I am asking is that I thought it might be a good option to be able to just get adf versions of disks that I might want to use/work with in Workbench booted from my CF card hard drive. The videos I have seen show booting from adf image disk 0 to bring up a selector to then allocate whichever disks you want to positions in a list but how can you access that from Workbench?
Old 01 April 2019, 16:33   #2
lesta_smsc

Yes you can... You simply load "0" to select under which number from 001 to I think 999 you want to mount floppy disk (ADF image for example). Then hit the 2 buttons next to display to cycle up and down the list. If you get OLED display you will be able to see the name of the file too!

BTW, I now use this as my method for creating proper floppy disks when I need them on my other Amigas. No point using CF etc as you can literally just mount it and copy across with x-copy lol.
Old 01 April 2019, 23:41   #3
Jimfella

Interesting. Are you saying it is possible to copy from a Gotek with ADF files onto a floppy disk using Xcopy? Getting back into my Amiga after a 15 year absence, loving that the community is still very much alive!
I have a 1200 with a External drive adapter and Gotek on the way. I seem to be backward to the majority but I'm looking to copy some ADF files of games I own onto new floppies (original disks seem to have stopped working). Call me old skool but something so satisfying about loading from disk.

Old 02 April 2019, 03:19   #4
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfella View Post
Interesting. Are you saying it is possible to copy from a Gotek with ADF files onto a floppy disk using Xcopy?
Yes, that's what I generally do, for PD or the disks I own originals off anyway of course
Old 02 April 2019, 20:21   #5
Jimfella

Excellent to know that's possible. I will come back and report once the kits arrived and had a chance to have a play! Cheers Lesta

Old 06 April 2019, 14:46   #6
Jimfella

I've got my gotek flashed with Flashfloppy (v0.9 something), I've got some ADF files loaded on to USB. I'm connecting the Gotek to my 1200 via the external drive port in the back using an adaptor, and it's successfully loading games when I boot via Drive1 via the early access menu. So the Gotek itself is working.

However when I load X-Copy Pro it doesn't seem to register the Gotek as a visible drive (just shows internal Drive 0)? I was hoping to make a new floppies of my games from the Adfs on the Gotek.

Could this be to do with jumper setting I read about but don't really understand, or do I have to open it up and put the Gotek as Drive 0?

Or am I missing something else? !

Suggestions welcome - Cheers

Old 06 April 2019, 22:16   #7
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
I've looked at some YouTube videos and searched the posts one here to see if I could find the answer myself but no joy so far. My question is this... If I was to get a Gotek floppy emulator to replace my internal disk drive on my A1200 can you/how do you select any disk currently on the inserted USB stick whilst in Workbench?

The reason I am asking is that I thought it might be a good option to be able to just get adf versions of disks that I might want to use/work with in Workbench booted from my CF card hard drive. The videos I have seen show booting from adf image disk 0 to bring up a selector to then allocate whichever disks you want to positions in a list but how can you access that from Workbench?
There are several solutions for disk selection: Cortex, HxC, and FlashFloppy firmware.

All the solutions have displays for selecting the image to boot.

1. Cortex=hex display where image 000 is a disk image with a selector that lets you assign .adf files to number 001-999 selected with buttons.

2. HxC supports a large LCD display ("make a hole in your case") that shows the name. It's big and backlit and looks pretty smart.

3. FlashFloppy (and probably HxC as well, not tested by me) supports a small OLED display that looks extremely sharp and is easier to fit. It can also work in HxC mode and Native mode (which makes you rename 10 images as 10 disks and these are the slots you flip through). So 3 methods of image selection in all, of which one is similar to "boot 000 selector image to assign images to slots" of Cortex.

Image is selected by buttons (built in) or rotary. I know FlashFloppy supports rotary. Maybe 1 and 2 do too though.

Buttons can be reached through the floppy slit with a so-called utensil.

Only the OLED display can be viewed through the floppy slit (and barely).

Most USB sticks will not be insertable through the floppy slit. I removed the plastic shell around mine and wrapped some electrical tape. (USB sticks are cheap, just get one that allows you to do this and you can use it for all your Goteks, I have 3.)

So the long and short of it is that Gotek is not made for Amiga, and at some point you will probably have to carve the case somewhat to get it usable.

If this is not OK, there's another solution. Stick it in an external drive case and solder a DF0/DF1 switch on the motherboard.

Now I can't think of more. So I think the description is complete I probably missed a detail somewhere so please fill in.

Last edited by Photon; 06 April 2019 at 22:25.
Old 07 April 2019, 00:36   #8
Jimfella

Can you use the Selector.adf with a Flash Floppy Gotek, or only Cortex flashed Goteks? If not, is there something else that does the same job? Currently using the rotary knob to switch between disks during the game, but would be great if this could be set up to automatically like I've seen the 'Selector' do.

Old 07 April 2019, 00:38   #9
Jimfella

And yes the OLED is great, even has scrolling text on long titled games

Old 07 April 2019, 02:33   #10
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfella View Post
Can you use the Selector.adf with a Flash Floppy Gotek, or only Cortex flashed Goteks? If not, is there something else that does the same job? Currently using the rotary knob to switch between disks during the game, but would be great if this could be set up to automatically like I've seen the 'Selector' do.
Yes, there is a Cortex-like selector for FlashFloppy, see this EAB thread for link to Amiga instructions. You can also rename the files (but this sort of removes the file/game names on the USB drive so that you don't know what you selected, so to speak).
Old 08 April 2019, 16:57   #11
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post

The latest file selector for HxC Floppy Emulators and HxC Firmware for Gotek is compatible with Workbench :
You can launch it from Workbench and return to workbench without the need to reboot the machine.

Here it is the last version :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_f...selector_V1_89

And of course HxC firmware for Gotek support OLED screens, rotary, extra buttons too...
Old 12 April 2019, 08:28   #12
vroom6sri

I bought a nice Gotek with OLED, running FlashFloppy and can select adf files using the buttons and the display so that's all groovy. However, when I load up ClassicWB on my CF card hard drive DF0 only ever shows as NONDOS regardless of whether the adf file is or isn't a NONDOS image. I did manage to get it to show a DOS disk by first selecting a DOS disk adf image on the Gotek, rebooting the Amiga and forcing it to boot from DH0 but when I then changed the selected adf file it had no effect in ClassicWB IE the same disk name was shown. Can anyone help me please?
Old 12 April 2019, 13:06   #13
Jope
-

Open a shell, resize it and move it so that you can see all the disk icons on your workbench screen, then change the image in the gotek.

If nothing happens, type into the shell:
diskchange df0:

And hit return. See if it works now.

If yes, then the diskchange signal is not getting through from the gotek.

Potential causes:
- flash floppy configured in the wrong interface mode (should be shugart) https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...iguration-File
- bad floppy cable
- bad CIA chip
Old 12 April 2019, 20:43   #14
vroom6sri

Thanks, Jope. I am having to use the diskchange command in Shell to get it to detect the new disk. But when booting from the Gotek certain games and demos are detecting the disk changes. I guess that depends on how they’re coded to look for them. I believe the original floppy drive was working fine and detecting disk changes so I think the cable is ok.

I’ll contact the seller for their steer.

Thanks again though.
Old 13 April 2019, 09:35   #15
Jope
-

Did you check the configuration on your usb stick?
Old 13 April 2019, 10:04   #16
vroom6sri

Sorry, Jope. I'm sure I am missing something. The USB stick is simply a FAT32 formatted one and the only files on it are the adf images. Should I have some sort of config file on it as well?

(Sorry for the lameness)
Old 13 April 2019, 10:09   #17
Jope
-

Perhaps read the manual, download the firmware package to get some example config files and do some experiments.

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Initial-Setup
Old 13 April 2019, 19:51   #18
vroom6sri

Thanks, Jope. I had a read through that but I didn’t find it easy to follow. Anyway the seller got back to me with some suggestions those being to move the jumper from S1 to S0 and removing the jumper between pins J5 and JA which has got it working perfectly. It’s a great solution for using adf files on the Amiga. Love it!