English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2024, 11:12   #1
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Warpengine with black screen in A4000

I need some advice(s) regarding a Warpengine CPU card.
I want to use it in an original (completely fixed and working) A4000D motherboard. (It has KS3.1, onboard 16 MB ram, recapped, some traces were rebuilt, etc.)
The Warpengine has a 060 on it @74 MHz and RAM fully installed. It was jumpered to have SCSI drives, but currently I have not attached any drive.
It was tested in another A4000D, and a ReA4000D-CR board, worked flawlessly.

Can be the lack of devices on the SCSI chain that stops the card's initialization sequence? The mobo is OK, I've tested it with an A3640 card (040@25 MHz)
I've heard that the WarpEngine is really sensitive and have some issues to work, unlike other CPU cards it complains for various things.

So far the only difference in my (non-working) config compared to my friend's operating systems is in the SCSI units.

TIA.
Old 21 May 2024, 11:29   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
The Warpengine has a 060 on it @74 MHz
The WarpEngine was an 040 card not an 060. Does it have an 040->060 adapter?

Quote:
It was tested in another A4000D, and a ReA4000D-CR board, worked flawlessly. The mobo is OK, I've tested it with an A3640 card (040@25 MHz)
Do you have the correct A4000 motherboard jumper settings? I am sure you will have but J100 and J104 need to be set to EXT

Quote:
Can be the lack of devices on the SCSI chain that stops the card's initialization sequence?
Remove the jumpers K, J, H which will disable autobooting SCSI?

https://amiga.resource.cx/manual/WarpEngine.pdf

Could it be exceeding the maximum power output of your PSU? Remove all Zorro cards, HDDs etc. and see if that helps?
Old 21 May 2024, 11:48   #3
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The WarpEngine was an 040 card not an 060. Does it have an 040->060 adapter?

Do you have the correct A4000 motherboard jumper settings? I am sure you will have but J100 and J104 need to be set to EXT

Remove the jumpers K, J, H which will disable autobooting SCSI?

Could it be exceeding the maximum power output of your PSU? Remove all Zorro cards, HDDs etc. and see if that helps?
The PSU is brand new and tested. I've tested the jumpers to evaluate any issues on that point.
I'm suspicious about the SCSI, so only that thing remained. Yes, the card was originally built with a 040 but it was exchanged. It is properly working as a 060 in another machine, but I did not attached any SCSI drive...
Old 21 May 2024, 14:43   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Good luck.

Quote:
Yes, the card was originally built with a 040 but it was exchanged.
They never made a WarpEngine that was directly 060 compatible and the board cannot be modified to take an 060 directly so it must use an 040->060 adapter. These have become widely used but it is an extra failure point.
Old 21 May 2024, 15:07   #5
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ Reynolds

I hate using the word assume, but here goes for nothing....

After Alex's advice RE the Jumpers, most accelerators have specific Jumper settings on the Motherboard for correct working. The Warp Engine is quite specific as it has two different ways is can handle DMA with the Amiga's bus.

Iirc, you must set motherboard Jumpers JP100 and JP104 to EXT.
Make sure the Warp Engines Jumpers are also set correctly for the speed of memory installed & to get the absolute best speed possible, use 60ns or less.

Get the Jumpers right on the Motherboard & it should work, even with no SCSI devices on the bus. If jumpers are set to Autoboot, there might be a delay of 30 seconds for the Warp SCSI to scan itself & confirm no drives & then boot. - I fail to see an Autoboot jumper setting made causing the card not to respond in any manner.

*Note* - If you are trying to Maprom in your Startup-sequence booting from an IDE drive, you never will boot because the Warp cannot maprom. If you were, I'd expect your A4KD to crash & perhaps Guru though you mention nothing about this.

If you are convinced the Mobo Jumpers are set correctly, do & observe the following:

Power on, Power LED will be dim & then go bright in 1 to 2 seconds. Press the Caps lock key every second afterwards. If it stops going on - off - on - off, then the Amiga isn't seeing your Warp Engin's CPU meaning one or several things.
JP100 & JP104 set wrong or CPU card edge connector is not seated correctly.

Manual for Warp Engine here:

Question at thread? - Do these 060 Modified Warp Engines require a Modified Kickstart ROM to function? - Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of playing with an 060 Warp Engine.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 21 May 2024 at 15:37. Reason: bloody Corsair K100 typos
Old 21 May 2024, 15:37   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Question at thread? - Do these 060 Modified Warp Engines require a Modified Kickstart ROM to function? - Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of playing with an 060 Warp Engine.
I assume we're talking about generic 040-060 adapters here. Yes, they need a modified ROM to disable the FPU (in case of a full 060).
Old 21 May 2024, 15:46   #7
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I assume we're talking about generic 040-060 adapters here. Yes, they need a modified ROM to disable the FPU (in case of a full 060).
Who would want to disable the FPU on a fully functional 060 with one? - That makes no sense.

I think the OP is is a bit vague with the understanding of how this should work along with the possibility of lack of knowledge to set up correctly.

From my side of the fence, I would not have thought it necessary to have specific ROM's for an 040 to 060 conversion. The sockets are the same but the Voltage Regulator needs changing. Just thought I'd ask as a matter of courtesy having not had the pleasure of playing with one.

@ Trixster

Help!
Old 21 May 2024, 15:56   #8
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Good luck.

They never made a WarpEngine that was directly 060 compatible and the board cannot be modified to take an 060 directly so it must use an 040->060 adapter. These have become widely used but it is an extra failure point.
Yes, the card has adaptor to be able working with 060 CPUs. Moreover, it is working as it is in another A4000D, my only problem is that the other board is not mine
Old 21 May 2024, 16:04   #9
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
@ Reynolds

I hate using the word assume, but here goes for nothing....

After Alex's advice RE the Jumpers, most accelerators have specific Jumper settings on the Motherboard for correct working. The Warp Engine is quite specific as it has two different ways is can handle DMA with the Amiga's bus.

Iirc, you must set motherboard Jumpers JP100 and JP104 to EXT.
Make sure the Warp Engines Jumpers are also set correctly for the speed of memory installed & to get the absolute best speed possible, use 60ns or less.

Get the Jumpers right on the Motherboard & it should work, even with no SCSI devices on the bus. If jumpers are set to Autoboot, there might be a delay of 30 seconds for the Warp SCSI to scan itself & confirm no drives & then boot. - I fail to see an Autoboot jumper setting made causing the card not to respond in any manner.

*Note* - If you are trying to Maprom in your Startup-sequence booting from an IDE drive, you never will boot because the Warp cannot maprom. If you were, I'd expect your A4KD to crash & perhaps Guru though you mention nothing about this.

If you are convinced the Mobo Jumpers are set correctly, do & observe the following:

Power on, Power LED will be dim & then go bright in 1 to 2 seconds. Press the Caps lock key every second afterwards. If it stops going on - off - on - off, then the Amiga isn't seeing your Warp Engin's CPU meaning one or several things.
JP100 & JP104 set wrong or CPU card edge connector is not seated correctly.

Manual for Warp Engine here:

Let's go backward now.
The Caps Lock led works properly, which means for me the config does not hangs completely. Also, during powerup the screen shows some rather usual flashes as it does with my other Amigas powered with 060, but then I get a black screen. That's why it's suspicious for me that it stops during the self test kind of thing.

Regarding the SCSI what would be interesting to know if SCSI is enabled & autobooting, could that be stop the card working at all, when there is no devs added to the SCSI chain. I haven't found any info regarding this in the manual.

I've tried both with INT and EXT setting to boot up the machine, but had no luck at all. I was waiting for several minutes.

At the end of the day I can believe only in SCSI chain's issue, e.g. jumper setting mod and/or attach SCSI device(s).
Old 21 May 2024, 16:12   #10
fgh

Exec.library does indeed need a patch for a 060 to boot on KS <=3.1.
060 CPU cards have this, 040 cards do not.

(I think some people who responded are a bit vague with the understanding of how this should work along with the possibility of lack of knowledge to set up correctly )

Edit: The other machine probably has a newer KS.

Last edited by fgh; 21 May 2024 at 18:20. Reason: bold formatting
Old 21 May 2024, 16:14   #11
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ fgh.....

Thank's fella. My feelings exactly.

Does OS3.9 patch this when mapping its ROM into Ram? - Can the Warp Engine boot OS3.9 if this is done when not being able to MapROM?

@ OP

So as Alex suggests, remove Jumper H, J & K to disable Autoboot.

Does she boot? - If not, get patching or go beyond 3.1 ROMS.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 21 May 2024 at 16:28.
Old 21 May 2024, 16:38   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Ah yes that will be the cause. The other Amiga's probably have Kickstart 3.1.4+ and Reynold's A4000 will have a standard KS3.1

Update Kickstart and it will be fixed I am sure.

Last edited by alexh; 21 May 2024 at 18:31.
Old 21 May 2024, 18:29   #13
fgh

Quote:
Does OS3.9 patch this when mapping its ROM into Ram? - Can the Warp Engine boot OS3.9 if this is done when not being able to MapROM?
No it does not. And back when we used to make ‘3.9 ROMs’ the exec patch was not commonly used, as 040-060 adapters were not yet common.

Last edited by fgh; Yesterday at 01:03.
Old 21 May 2024, 21:12   #14
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Thanks all for the tip. Yes, the other motherboard has KS3.2, while mine has KS3.1, so now I will change it then pray. ????
Old 21 May 2024, 23:55   #15
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Thanks all for the tip. Yes, the other motherboard has KS3.2, while mine has KS3.1, so now I will change it then pray. ????
Or just you know, put an 040 in it (obviously remove the 060 adapter first) and make sure everything is working, then install an updated ROM, keep testing with 040, then reinstall the 060 adapter and 060.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; Yesterday at 03:43.
Old Yesterday, 20:49   #16
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
No it does not. And back when we used to make ‘3.9 ROMs’ the exec patch was not commonly used, as 040-060 adapters were not yet common.
Understood.

Quote:
Good luck fella.

Last edited by Kin Hell; Yesterday at 20:56.
Old Today, 09:04   #17
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Guys, thanks again for the recommendation of exchanging the KS chip, I've removed the KS3.1, added 3.2 and the machine was booting up immediately!

So much suffering seems to end now at long last.
Old Today, 09:18   #18
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Who would want to disable the FPU on a fully functional 060 with one? - That makes no sense.

I think the OP is is a bit vague with the understanding of how this should work along with the possibility of lack of knowledge to set up correctly.

From my side of the fence, I would not have thought it necessary to have specific ROM's for an 040 to 060 conversion. The sockets are the same but the Voltage Regulator needs changing. Just thought I'd ask as a matter of courtesy having not had the pleasure of playing with one.

@ Trixster

Help!
Yo!

The modified exec disables the fpu to allow the machine to boot. The fpu is then re-enabled by setpatch (I believe). As the WarpEngine was never originally shipped with an 060 it’s bootrom does not carry code to disable the fpu like bootroms on other accelerators do, hence the requirement to patch exec to do it very early in the machine’s boot process.
Old Today, 10:07   #19
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Yes, the FPU is active when WB is loaded, as the WhichAmiga tells, so everything's fine.

Thanks again for everyone.
Old Today, 13:39   #20
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Yo!

The modified exec disables the fpu to allow the machine to boot. The fpu is then re-enabled by setpatch (I believe). As the WarpEngine was never originally shipped with an 060 it’s bootrom does not carry code to disable the fpu like bootroms on other accelerators do, hence the requirement to patch exec to do it very early in the machine’s boot process.
Yo!

Thank you for extrapolating on fgh's comment. - You're just never to 0ld to stop learning. Great info fella & thank you.

Quote:
Yes, the FPU is active when WB is loaded, as the WhichAmiga tells, so everything's fine.

Thanks again for everyone.
Glad you're sorted. Enjoy!