English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 January 2022, 04:41   #1
dankcomputing

Anyone tried the Amigakit CD32 controllers?

The KTRL pads/kits have been out of stock for almost a year now, but AmigaKit appears to be selling converted SNES pads of their own. Has anyone tried them? Are they decent, or should I wait for more KTRL pads?
Old 31 January 2022, 09:40   #2
Asmodean

Just wanted to say that I bought one KTRL CD32+ in December from the linked webpage so they haven't been out of stock for that long
Old 31 January 2022, 09:47   #3
str0m

One of the best features of the KTRL pads is you can remap buttons ie map UP to a firebutton for lazily programmed/old games where jump is up. The one you linked to doesn't mention having that feature.
Old 31 January 2022, 10:59   #4
spudje

So are these AmigaKit (il)legally using KTRLs design or is this AmigaKit's own design?

I'm personally still looking for a DB9 to USB adapter that will work with 8bitdo wireless adapters and provide proper mapping (Rys MK2 works but only with weird button mapping).
Old 31 January 2022, 11:18   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
so are these amigakit (il)legally using ktrls design or is this amigakit's own design?

Own design.
Old 31 January 2022, 12:44   #6
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I'm personally still looking for a DB9 to USB adapter that will work with 8bitdo wireless adapters and provide proper mapping (Rys MK2 works but only with weird button mapping).
Can you not remap the buttons on your 8bitdo? I'm sure I've seen such options in the setup software for mine...
Old 01 February 2022, 15:33   #7
Warty

I bought a couple KTRL CD32+ not that long ago, and they are great. Ask MickGyver over on this thread?
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98935
Old 08 February 2022, 09:31   #8
spudje

I don't believe he's currently making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Can you not remap the buttons on your 8bitdo? I'm sure I've seen such options in the setup software for mine...
Well, I struggled. The ultimate software only works in X-input mode and not in D-input mode what you need. And then the "star" button is mapped to a CD32 button which isn't remappable.

I also talked with the Rys MK2 guys, but they tried one profile for me which wasn't working. I wish I knew how to Hex-hack the Rys firmware
Old 18 February 2022, 17:34   #9
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
The KTRL pads/kits have been out of stock for almost a year now, but AmigaKit appears to be selling converted SNES pads of their own. Has anyone tried them? Are they decent, or should I wait for more KTRL pads?
I've got one of the AmigaKit CD32 pads. Works absolutely fine.
I'd say it's better than the standard Commodore CD32 pad, but not as good as the CompetitionPro CD32 pad.
Old 24 February 2022, 06:20   #10
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
I have been selling smaller batches of my KTRL pads over at daemonbite.com but they sell out rather quickly. I have a few coming up soon though. I'm also finalising a new design with a small OLED screen instead of a simple LED to help programming it. It's quite cool if I may say so myself.
Old 24 February 2022, 07:23   #11
DanyPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
I have been selling smaller batches of my KTRL pads over at daemonbite.com but they sell out rather quickly. I have a few coming up soon though. I'm also finalising a new design with a small OLED screen instead of a simple LED to help programming it. It's quite cool if I may say so myself.
But the display won't require too much power than DB9 can provide ?

Last edited by DanyPPC; 24 February 2022 at 07:55.
Old 24 February 2022, 11:19   #12
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
The gamepad works fine on my A1200 that has a 50mA current limit on the controller ports. The small monochrome OLED screens have a small power consumption (2-25mA depending on how many pixels are lit), I will still do some measurements.
Old 24 February 2022, 13:04   #13
DanyPPC

Ok, thanks for the info.
Old 24 February 2022, 19:17   #14
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
I just measured the current. The OLED screen draws 1.5 to 8mA current (depending on how many pixels are lit) and the gamepad overall: 15-25mA.
Old 05 March 2022, 22:40   #15
dankcomputing

Trip report: They're using some of the cheapest SNES pads I've ever seen as a base. So cheap that they have to fix the D-pads they get with hot glue. So cheap that they have to also use hot glue to correct for the lack of proper strain relief posts.

Even with their efforts at fixing it, the D-pad is a disaster. The face buttons feel/look cheap but are all right. The shoulder buttons are a joke. Again, not really their fault.

The PCB is what you're really paying for and it does seem to work. I'm running a 4000, the Jope tester doesn't detect it but every CD32 game in WHDLoad I've tried does. I think the OEM pads tend to behave like this too, as this pad appears to be electrically identical. The D-pad contacts are wrong but it's a mistake that a lot of other controllers make. It'll be a much better pad once I dig up say, a Hyperkin Scout and try to swap the PCB over, hopefully it'll fit.

All in all it's nowhere near as terrible as the Boomerang, mostly because it's completely impossible to make a controller that awful.

I was finally able to order a KTRL, but this is a good stopgap solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amigakit cd32 1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	74975   Click image for larger version

Name:	amigakit cd32 2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	824.8 KB
ID:	74976   Click image for larger version

Name:	amigakit cd32 3.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	779.5 KB
ID:	74977   Click image for larger version

Name:	amigakit cd32 4.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	882.2 KB
ID:	74978  

Last edited by dankcomputing; 05 March 2022 at 23:01.
Old 05 March 2022, 23:48   #16
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Does this latest batch (already sold out, btw) comes with this OLED screen?
Old 06 March 2022, 00:13   #17
Pyromania

@MickGyver

I'm interested in the next batch please.
Old 06 March 2022, 07:36   #18
DanyPPC

KTRL+ CD32 is the best CD32 controller I have bought for my A1200 deskop.

Other excellent solution is the PSX adapter by Kipper, but if you want a real CD32 substitute gamepad the KTRL is the only solution for me.
Old 31 March 2022, 05:30   #19
dankcomputing

Just got the KTRL pad not too long ago. The programmability is nuts, I will never use all of it but I'm happy it's there. Most definitely the best design out there.

I did find a way to improve the performance of the AmigaKit pad - I swapped out the D-pad itself as well as the button membrane for one from a (first-party) NES controller. (Yes, this pad for whatever reason uses the same size D-pad as the NES when a real SNES d-pad is a little bigger). It's still a little stiff, but significantly more responsive and usable.

The KTRL still has a flaw but it's not @MickGuyver's fault - the clone SNES pad's D-pad has a fulcrum nub that's not as big as an OEM pad, and as a result it's a bit mushy. The membrane is also pretty bad. Swapping OEM SNES parts in fixes this, but an in-production fix is also possible. Responsiveness and diagonal performance can be improved by making the D-pad contacts themselves very slightly larger and adding an exposed copper spot in the center - the fulcrum problem can be fixed by adding solder to that spot, raising it up to compensate if it's too small.
Old 15 February 2024, 23:58   #20
dankcomputing

A new revision of this pad is in development. Matthew demonstrated it at AmiWest along with the A600GS and it's a massive improvement. I've been reloading their website to see if they've finally put it into production ever since.