English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 December 2008, 01:25   #1
dosucol

Question 1084S-D1,no blue through analogue RGB

Hi people,this is a first for me,a retro console lover,joining an site dedicated to all things amiga ,but i was assured this is thee place to go to,to find the expert help that i'm in need of !

Right,i have managed to get a commodore 1084S-D1 monitor ,1084's noted for being one of the ideal screens for the older console gaming systems,mainly sega mega drive,sms , pc engine and the like,through their RGB .

So i wired up a db 9,to the rgb scart lead i made for my mega drive and pc engine,and couldn't get the monitor to sync with either of them,but i found a fix for the monitors sync problem,

http://www.atariage.com/forums/lofiv...hp/t91644.html
Quote:
I've been trying to get a 1084DS to work with composite sync going in on pin 7 and had no luck. I googled around and found this thread talking about how some 1084's just don't take composite sync. I tried feeding it to pin 9, both pin 7 and 9, but nothing worked.

So I took a look at the schematics and did some experimenting. I finally got it to work by doing a slight mod to my monitor.

I put a jumper across pins 6 and 10 on the chip labeled I202 (a 74L506). After that, I put composite sync to both pins 7 and 9 on the 9 pin connector. That worked very well.
I found the picture to be perfect ,crisp detail,4:3 screen size (not any of that 16:9 stuff),and the best part,i could adjust the screen image so it was centered properly,not off centre to the left side,as is what i had to put up with on a normal crt tv,but one thing's wrong,the 1084S-D1 will not display any colour blue !

Composite is fine for colour, but RGB analogue,through the db-9 monitor connection is completely missing the blue element,just get a yellowish colour,especially on things supposed to be white,and removing (desoldering)each colour inturn(from the cable)to check each colour line by itself produces the red,green's as it should,blue,nothing,blank screen.

Next i removed the console's cable altogether ,and connected directly to the connections on the console,and to the back of the male db9 plug,again everthing is getting through except this one blue signal and after testing this with 2 different console's ,i'm now certain it's a problem with this daewoo screen,so i now need some help from the experts,to try and fix this 1 tiny little annoying fault.

2 days with this little bugger,using POTS,composite sync/composite video ,resistors between ground and csync,all that just to get this close and it's also taking to giving me a little zap when i touch the headphone socket.

Help

Last edited by dosucol; 31 December 2008 at 02:24.

Old 31 December 2008, 01:44   #2
Anemos
70X7

Hello,
maybe that diagrams help you for something..

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=1084s
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=1084s
Old 31 December 2008, 02:11   #3
dosucol

Hey buddy,i've came across your mods before on my 2 day struggles,but with the console's i'm using ,well the sega mega drive just needs 75 ohm resistors on the RGB lines,to bring them down to RGB levels,and the pc engine doesn't need any resistors at all,as it's RGB signals are very weak to begin with and needed to be amped up,to get a perfect picture!

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/ms-md-scart.htm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/rgb.htm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/amp.htm

Last edited by dosucol; 31 December 2008 at 02:18.

Old 31 December 2008, 11:24   #4
Anemos
70X7

If you are sure the problem is from monitor you need the service diagram manual.
main 1084 is ORION inside and not DAEWOO! is like this > http://bilgisayarlarim.com/Amiga/1084S-D1/.
the problem perhaps is in on the board,check cold solders or replacement some electronic element.
Old 31 December 2008, 18:05   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Also check the blue wire who is going to the back of the tube. Check it for continuity and also the connector joint on the board/tube. Hope it helps.
Old 01 January 2009, 01:53   #6
dosucol

Right people,i fixed the problem!

After checking just about everything on the tv, for dry joints,leaking caps,shorts from when i had to modify that IC,and studying the schematics for this toshiba tube to find exactly where the lines and such for the RGB signals going to IC's etc etc,it all came down to the monitor's db-9 socket,speciffically pin 5 for the blue signal ,it needed to be resoldered and i had to find an alternative route for this as the trace was broke somewhere between the pin's pcb solder point and L701.

Now i can enjoy this beautiful "full colour" rgb picture .

Thanks for the advice people.
bye.

Old 01 January 2009, 09:35   #7
Anemos
70X7

good news..
so.. is DAEWOO or ORION inside?
and happy new year
Old 01 January 2009, 11:09   #8
Marcuz

just out of curiosity, at the bottom of the picture, the wavelength shapes... why do the 10th and 16th looks like three dimensional objects? what do they represent? it's a cool drawing though i like this kind of things a lot, albeit i do not understand them
Old 02 January 2009, 03:56   #9
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
@Marco: they don't.

That "images" are just as they appear on an oscilloscope in the conditions and spots marked on the schematics.
Old 02 January 2009, 11:30   #10
Marcuz

why nobody gave me an oscilloscope for Xmas?
well ok: i wouldn't know how to use it though
Old 09 January 2009, 00:17   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
good news..
so.. is DAEWOO or ORION inside?
and happy new year
Proberly an original, reliable CRT.

Unlike all toshiba's new junk, BUSH INSIDE!!!!