English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 November 2021, 17:51   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: Space Harrier II (Megadrive)

It's not often I get requests to shit-rate a game on the Megadrive/Genesis system on the "Shit Game Time" series but it does happen from time to time and this week that's what we have.

Space Harrier II, a luke warm game to many made It's appearence as a lauch title back in 1988 but was it really any good, well let's take a look,...and unfortunately a listen to the music

Space Harrier II SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 02 July 2022 at 00:54.
Old 05 November 2021, 18:28   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Hmmm Space Harrier II on megadrive is quite a good game, what is wrong with it ?
Old 05 November 2021, 18:56   #3
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Hmmm Space Harrier II on megadrive is quite a good game, what is wrong with it ?

Bad frame rate and terrible unispired music is the feedback I've been told,...and now I've just found those out for myself , yeah looked great in stills but a quick rush job for a launch title is the outcome.
Old 05 November 2021, 19:04   #4
rothers

The frame rate looks similar to the SMS version! I'd always assumed this would be a good game. Clearly trying to save cart space.

Why Sega never put their scaler hardware in the MD is such a mystery - apparently early prototypes DID have the scaler hardware in. Probably too expensive.
Old 08 November 2021, 12:30   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm sure people at the time thought it was a really good game, I find these Pseudo 3D games where the player sprite is almost like a blind spot unplayable. I tried playing the first game on the Megadrive mini many times but I just can't reason properly where the bullets are coming from and can't dodge them. It's 3D but it's wonky 3D.

It looks and plays heaps better than Space Harrier 2 though by the looks of it, my god.