English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 March 2014, 03:38   #1
dannyboy_77

Amiga 3000 + Cyervision 64/3d w/ Scan Doubler

Howdy Amiga Folks!!! This is my first post with Amiga English Board, so here goes!

I have a Cybervision 64/3D RTG Card, along with the ultra rare Cybervision Scandoubler. I realise the scandoubler is designed only to be used in an A4000, as it has an AGA Video Card Slot. ie. the scandoubler's card interface is longer than ECS Versions and won't fit in A2000/A3000 models. So ideally, this card is only suited for Amiga 4000 owners. Having said all this, I know there is a hack on the internet where on the 5+6 pins (far end expansion connector), if you carefully saw it off in the middle, this will work in an A2000. (So the site claims!) By doing this, it will allow the scandoubler to fit so it slides at the edge of the video slot. And also it will work in A4000 as these two connectors are not really in use. According to the site, the extra long video slot is for additional bitplans signal only used on AGA chipset. Can someone tell me if this is the case? I am happy to give a hyperlink where it gives you step-by-step instructions and even a picture to DIY.

I really don't want to saw this precious card, in order to risk from permantely damaging it, as it's a ultra rare and can fetch 80-150 euros just for it.

I wish to see if I can use both the Cyervision 64/3D & Scandoubler "inline" on an Amiga 3000 with the above hack. Anyone heard of this, or has done this successfully? Or found another way of using the card in an A3000? I realise the GFX Board can, but I want *both* working in it.

Old 28 March 2014, 10:00   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Welcome to EAB

You don't need a Scan doubler in an A3000 (it has that already) and since the 3D part of the card is useless why not sell and get regular CV64 and use the pass through

ps. I'm not sure it's ultra rare, quite a few of them have passed through Amibay already this year.
Old 28 March 2014, 10:07   #3
jack-3d
kLiker

The Scandoubler is for AGA video slots. It means you can use it only in A4000 or A1200 with Micronik Zorro budboards. CV643D with Scandoubler is excellent combo and its pleasure to play games, watch demos or work with graphics, because automatic switching between CybergraphX and AGA screens is so great and comfortable.

Anyway you can have the same with A3000 as well and even better. You just need different graphics card with "passthrough ability" (CV64, Picasso2, Picasso2+, Picasso4, ...). The A3000 has internal scandoubler with flickerfixer (CV643D scandoubler does NOT have flickerfixer) and you can redirect that signal using passthrough cable into the graphics card input. Then connect monitor to the graphics card output and that's it (well ensure the passthrough parameter is enabled in CGX or P96 driver - should be ON by default).

So when you have CGX screen the signal goes from graphics board, when you have PAL or any other screen comming from the internal scandoubler you get this signal automatically switched to your monitor. And as I said it is even better because it is not flickering.

My two recommendations:

1) if you want to use that great combo CV643D+Scandoubler buy another AGA machine for it
2) if you want to have automatic screen switching on your A3000, buy different graphics card with passthrough ability (CV64 seems to be the best option)