English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 April 2017, 13:54   #1
Foebane
Banned

Can Directory Opus launch demos or games?

At the moment, I'm using Classic Workbench, and it has native Workbench windows for accessing drives, but with a great many files it is quite slow. However, I also see Directory Opus which seems faster, but I have two problems with it:

1. Because of the dual-window display of DOpus, most of the time the filenames are truncated, but I need to see the whole filename. Is there a way of running DOpus in just one window, using the full width of the screen?

2. I tried to run a single large-file demo executable, but instead of running it directly, DOpus said "interrogating files" and locked up. Can't it just run the file directly?
Old 08 April 2017, 14:24   #2
-Acid-

In the config opus utility you can change the number of characters which will be shown in the file lister (up 32 or something I cannot remember right now), you can then make on lister wider than the other by holding the left mouse button on the centre divider between listers and dragging it to the left or right.

You may be able to make a button that uses the run or execute command with the selected file to bypass the interrogating files requester to launch things immediately. Is it really such an inconvenience to click ok though?
Old 08 April 2017, 17:12   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
In the config opus utility you can change the number of characters which will be shown in the file lister (up 32 or something I cannot remember right now), you can then make on lister wider than the other by holding the left mouse button on the centre divider between listers and dragging it to the left or right.

You may be able to make a button that uses the run or execute command with the selected file to bypass the interrogating files requester to launch things immediately. Is it really such an inconvenience to click ok though?
I found out how to display more of the filename.

However, I tried clicking again on the demo I wanted to run before and the busy mouse pointer came up with "Interrogating files", and it locked up before any "OK" button came up. Maybe it will recover, but it's taking too long.
Old 08 April 2017, 22:08   #4
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
However, I tried clicking again on the demo I wanted to run before and the busy mouse pointer came up with "Interrogating files", and it locked up before any "OK" button came up. Maybe it will recover, but it's taking too long.
Sounds like something else is wrong if it's locking up.
Old 08 April 2017, 22:17   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

ClassicWB has Killergorillas IconLoad implemented in DirOpus 4. Works fine for WHDLoad stuff. Haven't tried normal DOS stuff.
Old 08 April 2017, 22:39   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Sounds like something else is wrong if it's locking up.
I found the solution right there in front of me: "Execute", or "Run" (right-click)

Although I have to wonder what the difference is between them...?
Old 08 April 2017, 22:41   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
ClassicWB has Killergorillas IconLoad implemented in DirOpus 4. Works fine for WHDLoad stuff. Haven't tried normal DOS stuff.
Yep, came here to ask about that. Good timing, Nerd!
Old 08 April 2017, 23:44   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
I found the solution right there in front of me: "Execute", or "Run" (right-click)

Although I have to wonder what the difference is between them...?
Run launches a tool (executable file). Execute launches a script (a batch command file).
Old 09 April 2017, 07:41   #9
jPV

Sounds like fcked up configuration of Dopus. You should be able to run executables just by double clicking them. And Dopus should ask commandline arguments for it. And at least on later Dopus you can launch programs in WB mode by holding the shift while double clicking.

For WHD stuff I've simply added a filetype to launch them when double clicking .slave files.
Old 09 April 2017, 09:46   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Run launches a tool (executable file). Execute launches a script (a batch command file).
Some demos start with .bat, many others start with .exe - can't I just settle on one?
Old 09 April 2017, 09:50   #11
Foebane
Banned

I've tried DOpus for a while now, and I don't think I like it. I'm not too familiar with AmigaDOS now, but even back when I did have my A500 and A1200 I didn't use DOpus then, so I've never quite figured out why the twin screen thing is so "famous". Honestly, I find better usage in Windows Explorer.

DOpus may be faster than plain WB, but the maximum length filename available (64) is still too short for some of the filenames I have.

Also, it seems DOpus can't remember that I've moved the central separator to the right to make the left-hand side wider.

And how the heck do I set DH1: as default???

Altogether, how can I get DOpus to remember all this? Or do I have to set it up each time?
Old 09 April 2017, 10:48   #12
jPV

Quote:
I've tried DOpus for a while now, and I don't think I like it. I'm not too familiar with AmigaDOS now, but even back when I did have my A500 and A1200 I didn't use DOpus then, so I've never quite figured out why the twin screen thing is so "famous". Honestly, I find better usage in Windows Explorer.

DOpus may be faster than plain WB, but the maximum length filename available (64) is still too short for some of the filenames I have.

Also, it seems DOpus can't remember that I've moved the central separator to the right to make the left-hand side wider.

I think you could like DOpus 5 more It doesn't restrict you to two directories (you can have one or multiple, with sizes and positions freely saveable), it can work like standard desktop windows (you can open and close windows on the fly) and not as separate program, max filename length is 107, etc. I also find the traditional DOpus4 style very limiting nowadays, but it was very handy 25 years ago with floppies and/or very low resolutions. Today with bigger resolutions you just get annoyed by the distance you have to move the mouse when doing anything.
Old 09 April 2017, 11:52   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
You should know better DOpus, everything can be customized

keys configuration
[ Show youtube player ]

Unzip archives
[ Show youtube player ]

Translate English-Italian (.Guide, .Txt, .Html)
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 April 2017 at 12:01.
Old 09 April 2017, 22:54   #14
-Acid-

Quote:
ename available (64) is still too short for some of the filenames I have.

Altogether, how can I get DOpus to remember all this? Or do I have to set it up each time?
Once you have made the changes load the config tool from the menu and save the config again and it should save window positions etc. There is a section called startup which let's you select which directories or device to have in the listers at boot time.