English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 26 January 2013, 16:56   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

FS-UAE: Amiga model limitation

On WinUAE you can set the CPU and chipset individually, but on FS-UAE this is limited by the "amiga_model" that you choose. Is this necessary? My two real Amigas that I want to emulate don't match any of the models.

If individual selection is too much trouble, could you add the missing A3000 model - ECS, 030 (or 020+FPU)? That should cover it.

Last edited by mr_a500; 26 January 2013 at 17:09. Reason: Oh, I see you can change chip and fast RAM defaults
Old 26 January 2013, 19:24   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, it isn't *necessary* (and it isn't a limitation either as I'll explain), but I think it is a good idea to focus on sensible presets, both from a support perspective, and because it is more user friendly. I have added the most common options like tweak the amount of RAM and adding some expansions. I don't support *dumbing down* stuff, and you can certainly override the presets. There's just no UI for it.

You can override hardware settings with UAE options, just prefix what you would write in a UAE/WinUAE config file with "uae_", for example uae_fpu_model.

But I can add an offical A3000 preset (ECS, 030 + 68882 FPU) (Hmm, KS1.4 or KS2.0 as default?)
Old 26 January 2013, 19:41   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

(I don't recall saying anything about "dumbing down" stuff...)

I don't know WinUAE config file settings (only briefly tried WinUAE years ago and I used the GUI) - I'm just going by your FS-UAE documentation. So any WinUAE setting can be put in FS-UAE config just by adding prefix "uae_"?

An A3000 preset would be nice (...but wait... is that considered "dumbing down"? ). I don't know what Kickstart should be used as default, but I'd like to use Kickstart 3.1 for my setting.
Old 26 January 2013, 20:20   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I don't know WinUAE config file settings (only briefly tried WinUAE years ago and I used the GUI) - I'm just going by your FS-UAE documentation. So any WinUAE setting can be put in FS-UAE config just by adding prefix "uae_"?
Yes -but not any WinUAE settings. User interface / display options (etc) will either be ignored or not work properly. But you can tweak the hardware options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
An A3000 preset would be nice (...but wait... is that considered "dumbing down"? ). I don't know what Kickstart should be used as default, but I'd like to use Kickstart 3.1 for my setting.
I think you misunderstood me, the "dumbing down" comment wasn't targeted at you, but rather to my own statement about promoting presets and a limited number of options in the user interface. It was just a lead-in to explain that advanced users can go beyond the basic UI and use the flexibility of UAE if they want to

Actually, the 1.4 kickstart is just a "pre-kickstart", and 2.0 for A3000 isn't included in Amiga Forever, it seems. 3.1 it is then..
Old 26 January 2013, 20:28   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I think you misunderstood me, the "dumbing down" comment wasn't targeted at you, but rather to my own statement about promoting presets and a limited number of options in the user interface. It was just a lead-in to explain that advanced users can go beyond the basic UI and use the flexibility of UAE if they want to
Ah, I see. I've never actually seen the FS-UAE user interface (thanks to inexplicable MacPorts screwup). I just read the config options in your documentation and entered it into the config file. I thought I could only use whatever options you listed in the documentation.
Old 26 January 2013, 20:37   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Well, my comment also applies to the official FS-UAE options, since this is mostly the same as what's available in FS-UAE Launcher.

To use custom uae options, checking src/cfgfile.cpp is a good reference since this lists all options (just remember to prefix with uae_ to pass them through to the internal UAE core).

Anyway, I've added A3000 (based on the WinUAE quickstart setting for A3000), so you might not need to. I've updated the git repo (master branch).
Old 26 January 2013, 21:21   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I'll take a look at src/cfgfile.cpp. Thanks.

I just checked and the A3000 setting is working fine. You can consider this "[Solved]".