English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 August 2012, 18:25   #1
N-Ed

Keyboard for Lyra2

Hi!

My A1200 "project" has taken a 180 turn after an idea I got into my head and couldn't shake. I'll be turning my A1200 into a desktop Mac-ish looking machine(white computer = Mac-ish hehe), but I will really try to make it look like the modern day Amiga that I can see on the inside of my eyelids.

So I just ordered a Lyra 2 from Amigakit. Do you guys know any nice and sleek white full key UK/US keyboards I could use? I assume I need PS/2? Having trouble finding a nice one...

Thanks in advance!

//Nicklas
Old 26 August 2012, 19:48   #2
amigakit.com

Hi

The Boing Ball PS/2 keyboard works well with Lyra 4000:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1073
Old 26 August 2012, 19:58   #3
N-Ed

Unfortunatly light grey isn't really white If it was in white I would have bought it in a heartbeat...
Old 26 August 2012, 21:08   #4
N-Ed

Found a nice looking one on Ebay, but the seller is located in the US and won't even accept questions sent to him from us Swedish users :-(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOGITECH-9...item33752ea3d7

Do anybody know where I can find one of these(or something even nicer)? Or somebody up for helping this ol' sorry Swede?

Edit: Postage within US $6.99, but postage to Canada would be $56.85. Can anybody see what postage to UK or Germany would be?
Old 27 August 2012, 06:11   #5
bdb

Gateway keyboards were white and quite good

Had Gateway in the 1990's as an office computer; heavy, solid keyboard with AT connector. Also the IBM/Lexmark keyboards were "white-ish" and available (recycledgoods.com). I love the heavy feel and click of these.
Old 27 August 2012, 06:26   #6
bdb

Google Shopping lists several white keyboards

Macally makes one in "Ice White"
Old 27 August 2012, 14:53   #7
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
Macally makes one in "Ice White"
Do you know which model features ps/2 protocol? My google skills are not that good.

Edit: Feeling a bit confused, can I use any USB keyboard + USB->PS/2 adapter with the Lyra 2? I just got it in my head that it had to be a PS/2 keyboard, but I might be wrong...

Last edited by N-Ed; 27 August 2012 at 15:13.
Old 27 August 2012, 15:23   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Ed View Post
Edit: Feeling a bit confused, can I use any USB keyboard + USB->PS/2 adapter with the Lyra 2? I just got it in my head that it had to be a PS/2 keyboard, but I might be wrong...
that sort of thing only works if the keyboard supports ps/2 and is able to switch to "ps/2 mode" when detecting it's hooked up to a ps/2 port - keyboards supporting this usually (did) come with the usb->ps/2 adapter included.
Old 27 August 2012, 17:02   #9
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
that sort of thing only works if the keyboard supports ps/2 and is able to switch to "ps/2 mode" when detecting it's hooked up to a ps/2 port - keyboards supporting this usually (did) come with the usb->ps/2 adapter included.
Thanks, glad to hear I wasn't dreaming
Old 27 August 2012, 23:22   #10
bdb

Amazon.com in USD

Belkin Classic White Keyboard ps/2 4.99+
Kensington White Washable ps/2 & USB 35.99+
Logitech Deluxe Desktop Keyboard & Mouse ps/2 5.99+
Adesso Mini White Keyboard ps/2 48.43

There are more, but I'm a poor typist.

There are Amiga adapters to get both a ps/2 (cheap) and a USB (not so cheap) keyboards to work. I like my Amiga keyboard (Beige) because of the large "Return" key; helps with poor typing skills. On the PC, I like the original IBM Model M (Beige) clickity keyboard; it just feels better (to a poor typist).
Old 28 August 2012, 08:01   #11
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
Belkin Classic White Keyboard ps/2 4.99+
Kensington White Washable ps/2 & USB 35.99+
Logitech Deluxe Desktop Keyboard & Mouse ps/2 5.99+
Adesso Mini White Keyboard ps/2 48.43

There are more, but I'm a poor typist.

There are Amiga adapters to get both a ps/2 (cheap) and a USB (not so cheap) keyboards to work. I like my Amiga keyboard (Beige) because of the large "Return" key; helps with poor typing skills. On the PC, I like the original IBM Model M (Beige) clickity keyboard; it just feels better (to a poor typist).
Thanks, will check those out when I get into work!
Yeah I know there are ways of getting USB keyboards to work, but I just don't need a subway or the likes of that right now. Lyra is more then enough to start with
Old 28 August 2012, 09:01   #12
bdb

Dude, that's why I only listed ps/2 keyboards above.
Old 31 August 2012, 21:36   #13
N-Ed

So after some research I've landed on getting a nice mechanical keyboard as it seems the modern gaming keyboards have the PS/2 option. Now to find a nice white Filco or Ducky keyboard at a resonable price

Anyone here who has tried these or can recommend something in that line?
Old 01 September 2012, 08:15   #14
Jope
-

Gaming keyboards usually have black cherry switches, which suck for typing (no tactile feel).

I'm sure you can find a store in Stockholm that sells individually switched keyboards, so you might want to go there and try out the different kinds of switch to see what you like.

Other than that, most of the gaming keyboards are pretty much equal in terms of build quality and reliability. Choose one that feels good and looks nice. :-)
Old 01 September 2012, 10:37   #15
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi what about this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS2-UK-Key...item29fe41a500
Old 01 September 2012, 11:23   #16
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Gaming keyboards usually have black cherry switches, which suck for typing (no tactile feel).

I'm sure you can find a store in Stockholm that sells individually switched keyboards, so you might want to go there and try out the different kinds of switch to see what you like.

Other than that, most of the gaming keyboards are pretty much equal in terms of build quality and reliability. Choose one that feels good and looks nice. :-)
I'll try to find a place where I can find these. Most places like that has closed shop though and sell online instead Haven't seen Cherry blacks on that many keyboards I've checked out though, on Filco and Ducky there are options, that plus the minimalistic looks make them the number one contender Might buy one without numpad, but I'm not 100 % sure yet.