English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 07 June 2022, 18:08   #1
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Hi... And asking for some help now...

Will my words be some sort of off-topic...? No matter how, here's some self-introductions and request for help and hope my English won't be that poor...!
Because of my age and the location I live in,I've never got any chance to know about Amiga until being interested in tracked music at about the end of last year. Sometimes the internal text of these modules mentioned this name,which firstly made me curious about it. However,I still wasn't willing to know more about Amiga and I gradually stopped listening to music modules due to some other reasons. At that time, all I knew about the Amiga is that they're some old computers which music modules are originated from.
It was about in mid-May this year when my Amiga hobby formally(?) started. Schools were closed for several months because of the pandemic,which gave me the chance to pick up those "lost"(?) things again,including these music modules.
When I was browsing the support site of XMPlay,I found a skin called "Amiga Retro". So I downloaded it and used it,having found that it has the most suitable text and button sizes for me. After that, I read the "readme" text of that skin,finally noticed that Workbench is an operating system with a different look and feel than the Windows. Soon I started to know more about Amiga by exploring some related websites but almost be directly welcomed by these sad news like someone dying...
It's necessary to tell you that I'm a person who can be easily scared by other people's misfortunes... And sorry for being a little offensive but I truly don't think that everything about Amiga is happy...!!
But my passion didn't completely faded away and then I readed the Wikipedia page of Amiga,watched tutorials about the Workbench and emulators and saw some people posting pleasant stuff about Amiga. All of these things made me a bit relaxed and thanks to all these persons who made & posted these positive contents!
After that I tried to use Amiga Forever and WinUAE,installed some system enhancement like BetterWB and ClassicWB to experience such an operating system which brought me sense of relaxation and security.
Even one day before school started again,at morning I told myself that I need to survive these scary things(nothing but more other people's sickness and misfortune...) to have more time to know deeper about Amiga. Then, I saw more sad news about some other people in the Amiga community that midnight...
There have been only shorter than one month passed after I started to pick up this hobby,so many sad news already have the threat of making Amiga no longer the safe and happy place. It happened that I registered this EAB account several days before and the rules said that I mustn't be inactive. So I am greeting and meanwhile calling for help here, believing there will be someone giving me motivition.
I really want to try these productivity software on Amiga,finding what kind of work I will make using this enchanting platform. In addition,as a former hobbist of fractal art(still because of too much other people's misfortune related to fractal...),it made me feel really good to find some fractal programs on Aminet although they are a bit hard to learn. It was true that only Amiga makes my fractal dream possible...!
Although these bad news are blocking me from learning more Amiga related things,I still hope there will be someday when I become some sort of content creator mostly(or sometimes) using Amiga softwares...
I will ask more questions about emulators and software,but now I'm only needing for some welcomes and encouragement...
Old 09 June 2022, 11:22   #2
AMIPEGUSER

Well, of course I understand if you are just 17 it will be normal that you not know about Commodore Amiga. Most people in your age have never heard about Amiga. Just if they have parents which known Amiga.
So if you find out something about Amiga, WinUAE, Aminet etc. by yourself that shows your interest.
But we can not give you the motivation. It is your decision if you like to use an Amiga or not. For us as Amiga Users it would be nice if young people come and learn about Amiga but the motivation is yours.
You have to think that the Commodore Amiga has it´s 37 birthday this year and of course many things did not works the same ways like it works in windows etc., today.
When the Amiga comes out in 1985 it was a computer that has a massive "WOW" effect, because of it graphics and sound which was implemented. And it was the first multitasking computer. The operation system called "Workbench" was very stable and it changes in all these years until know. The latest Workbench 3.9 was from the end of the 1990s. For example: I installed my WB 3.9 in 1998 in one of my Amigas and never be reinstalled it until today. Last year there was a release of a new "Workbench" called OS 3.2. In the 1980s and 1990s the Amiga was very popular computer because it was easy to use. Just put a Floppydisk in the Amiga and play a game for example. And you can use it on a TV. No need for an extra Monitor. But it was different to PC etc. So these systems are not compatible. In 1994 the firm Commodore got bankrupt and so every person thought that the Amiga is gone. But the Amiga Community never died all the years and with the beginning of the Retro Scene there are many peoples learn about Amiga or comming back. The Scene is small but there are still new hard and software in the market. Amiga is different. It is not perfect but for most of us it is fun.
Old 09 June 2022, 17:58   #3
DLG
Damn Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIPEGUSER View Post
Well, of course I understand if you are just 17 it will be normal that you not know about Commodore Amiga. Most people in your age have never heard about Amiga. Just if they have parents which known Amiga.
So if you find out something about Amiga, WinUAE, Aminet etc. by yourself that shows your interest.
But we can not give you the motivation. It is your decision if you like to use an Amiga or not. For us as Amiga Users it would be nice if young people come and learn about Amiga but the motivation is yours.
You have to think that the Commodore Amiga has it´s 37 birthday this year and of course many things did not works the same ways like it works in windows etc., today.
When the Amiga comes out in 1985 it was a computer that has a massive "WOW" effect, because of it graphics and sound which was implemented. And it was the first multitasking computer. The operation system called "Workbench" was very stable and it changes in all these years until know. The latest Workbench 3.9 was from the end of the 1990s. For example: I installed my WB 3.9 in 1998 in one of my Amigas and never be reinstalled it until today. Last year there was a release of a new "Workbench" called OS 3.2. In the 1980s and 1990s the Amiga was very popular computer because it was easy to use. Just put a Floppydisk in the Amiga and play a game for example. And you can use it on a TV. No need for an extra Monitor. But it was different to PC etc. So these systems are not compatible. In 1994 the firm Commodore got bankrupt and so every person thought that the Amiga is gone. But the Amiga Community never died all the years and with the beginning of the Retro Scene there are many peoples learn about Amiga or comming back. The Scene is small but there are still new hard and software in the market. Amiga is different. It is not perfect but for most of us it is fun.
T...T...TH...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read your reply over and over again and it makes me feel so warm and calm...
Before anyone replied to this thread,it was sad that my impression of Amiga was covered with too much bad news and I was only waiting for someone to tell me anything positive about this computer platform which is still very mysterious to me.
Right before my exploration of Amiga tend to fall into a bad end which this name and everything about it will mean nothing but only other people's misfortunes, I am saved by your kind words just in time...!!!
Don't know what to say, but your reply really makes me feel much more relaxed. If that "bad end" happened, I would certainly also be not able to listening to music modules since they have close connection with the Amiga too.
Now I have regained the energy to continue possessing the interest in Amiga. With the warmth and acceptance of the community, I believe that whether I could create something with it or not, Amiga will be my safe place...